Did Bo concentrate too much on scheme?

Haspula

I think some of you may be right. It's was almost like we were trying to get in the perfect formation on defense. Time and time again, there were last second adjustments, signals, etc. almost like they were over thinking. Sometimes you gotta let the ponies run. Then it looked as if they players were afraid to make mistakes.

My prediction is we are much better discipline wise next year. Plus, we play loose. If you over think and worry about getting cursed out, you play tight.

Just a thought.

GBR.

• Fire 2

IMO, Bo preferred "academics" over "athletics". If a guy got the scheme, he would play over a more athletic guy.

IIRC, it was mentioned that if one player was out of place/missed a read, the whole team fell apart i.e. big plays were made by the O.

I believe this to be true also. Problem is a coach needs to make his scheme able to be learned and used in order to get the talent on the field. I mean sh#t, why try and recruit good talent if they can't make it on the field b/c the scheme is soooooooo hard to learn and run. When things are made too hard much of your talent may not get on the field therefore completely wasting any recruiting of high caliber athletes you did. Just stupid!

Riley's Defense:

1) If its a run away from you, you do this . . .

2) If its a run toward you, you do this . . .

3) If its a pass, you do this . . .

Bo's Defense:

1) If its an inside trap away, and the guard nearest to you takes a quick jab step the the right, you do this . . .

2) If its an inside trap away, and the guard nearest to you takes a quick jab step the the left, you do this . . .

3) If its an inside trap towards you, and the guard nearest to you takes a quick jab step the the right, you do this . . .

234) If its a swing pass towards you and there is a trips formation on your side, you do this . . .

235) If its a swing pass towards you and there is a wide out and a slot on your side, you do this . . . unless the QB has blue eyes, then you do this

• Fire 5

Hopefully there's a little more to Riley's defense than doing the same thing on every pass play. That would be easy to exploit.

There's always more, but if it is a similar scheme to MSU's (as Banker has said is very similar), they basically run the same coverage every play except when they blitz. Bo's did also, the difference is, that you played m2m in Bo's once you read and "match" the initial moves of each prospective eligible receiver.

• Fire 1