What exercise did you do today?

NUance

After 4 years of running and hitting a recent plateau (6'2, 210) along with a bad case of shin splints, I'm cutting down to running a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal), and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

Shin Splints are no bueno. Holy crap I got them really bad 3 years ago due to jump roping every day. At least I think that's what did it. Couldn't even pitch a softball for slowpitch without feeling like shins were gunna fall apart. I had to start taking 6 ibuprofen before every game. So basically twice a week.

Good Luck! I loved having the gym equipment in a shed back when I had roommates, it made it so much easier to do what you need to do in the short amount of time.

For me, I have been doing 7 lifts, at 30 second rest between sets, and 45 second rest moving from lift to lift. I get in and out in about 50 mins. No matter the lift, I do 10x10x8x6 for the sets.

I hit 30 last year, and I'm done with dadbod. I have a desk job, so I needed to change things up. I don't eat bad at all, so I needed to add more exercise and strength training. Other than doing one of those beach body programs with my wife for a couple months, I haven't really lifted since high school, so I figured 5x5 was a good start so I don't hurt myself. I figure a mix of that with some HIIT sprints one or two days a week should help me reach my goal of 190 (really shooting for 200 by Thanksgiving).

I think that you will find that these make all the difference. I advise everyone to incorporate them and other variants into their workouts.

I started doing them a few weeks ago when I had to stop the long runs. The problem is, I'm, in Florida, so it's either raining when i get home from work, or 90% humidity in the morning, and I'm, dead tired in 10 minutes. Gotta keep grinding...

After 4 years of running and hitting a recent plateau (6'2, 210) along with a bad case of shin splints, I'm cutting down to running a single 5K weekly (after a hiatus to let my shins heal), and have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Since I hate going to gyms, I got all the equipment and put it in my garage. Wish me luck!

Shin Splints are no bueno. Holy crap I got them really bad 3 years ago due to jump roping every day. At least I think that's what did it. Couldn't even pitch a softball for slowpitch without feeling like shins were gunna fall apart. I had to start taking 6 ibuprofen before every game. So basically twice a week.

Good Luck! I loved having the gym equipment in a shed back when I had roommates, it made it so much easier to do what you need to do in the short amount of time.

For me, I have been doing 7 lifts, at 30 second rest between sets, and 45 second rest moving from lift to lift. I get in and out in about 50 mins. No matter the lift, I do 10x10x8x6 for the sets.

I hit 30 last year, and I'm done with dadbod. I have a desk job, so I needed to change things up. I don't eat bad at all, so I needed to add more exercise and strength training. Other than doing one of those beach body programs with my wife for a couple months, I haven't really lifted since high school, so I figured 5x5 was a good start so I don't hurt myself. I figure a mix of that with some HIIT sprints one or two days a week should help me reach my goal of 190 (really shooting for 200 by Thanksgiving).

I think that you will find that these make all the difference. I advise everyone to incorporate them and other variants into their workouts.

I started doing them a few weeks ago when I had to stop the long runs. The problem is, I'm, in Florida, so it's either raining when i get home from work, or 90% humidity in the morning, and I'm, dead tired in 10 minutes. Gotta keep grinding...

If you have access to a treadmill, it is perfectly fine to sprint on one. People at the gym will look and may laugh. They will more than likely be in much worse shape than you are.

If you have access to a treadmill, it is perfectly fine to sprint on one. People at the gym will look and may laugh. They will more than likely be in much worse shape than you are.

I've got a treadmill, and I can't run on it to save my life. It just feels awkward.

No sloot ever goes "Man, check out those muscular hamstrings on that guy"

Maybe, but good hammies are a sign of someone who's serious and focuses on the whole body.

Either way, good hamstring/quad balance can help a few ailments, like lower back pain and less muscle pulls.

No sloot ever goes "Man, check out those muscular hamstrings on that guy"

Maybe, but good hanmies is a sign of someone who's serious and focuses on the whole body.

Either way, good hamstring/quad balance can help a few ailments, like lower back pain and less muscle pulls.

Teach has bird legs. I don't think he has ever worked out his legs.

"Looks like an upper body day, brah!!!"

I've got a treadmill, and I can't run on it to save my life. It just feels awkward.

I usually just do a fast pace walk on the treadmill with it inclined to 10.5. Beats the hell out of running and you get just as much out of it.

Today, super sets. Bench mixed with curls and hammers. Did some tries, and of course, my daily leg action!

By the way, I can't run on a treadmill for the life of me. It is to uncomfortable, and unnatural. I go to the lake when I can. Only time I think about using a treadmill, when it is to damn cold lol.

Did deads on Wednesday and hit an all time PR. But I still feel like the lockout is my weak point. Anyone have suggestions on how to help the lockout on deadlifts?

Congrats on the PR.

Elevate the bar on some boxes or on the safety bars in a power rack to where it is around your knees. Put on your desired weight and start pulling from there. It will help you with your lockout and the top half of the lift.

Here is an example.

Did deads on Wednesday and hit an all time PR. But I still feel like the lockout is my weak point. Anyone have suggestions on how to help the lockout on deadlifts?

Congrats on the PR.

Elevate the bar on some boxes or on the safety bars in a power rack to where it is around your knees. Put on your desired weight and start pulling from there. It will help you with your lockout and the top half of the lift.

attachicon.gifdeads.jpg

Here is an example.

To add to Stumpy's, here is a great article that was shared through a group of my friends, where we all share the same passion, lifting.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/23/improving-deadlift-lockout/

http://jjstrength.com/improve-your-deadlift/

Did a 1 rep 210lb deadlift yesterday. My best deadlift before was 3 reps of 230lbs, but for some reason I never tried 1 rep back then. And then like an idiot I quit doing it. Now I'm doing 8 reps 180lbs. I'm hoping to be back to 230 by October.

Speaking of deadlift, is it weird not to feel it in the thighs/glutes? I never have. It used to make my lower back sore (but not anymore) and I felt it in my lats for the first time yesterday. I don't have any soreness though.