Is the Blackshirt Tradition Dead?

I honestly think the way Pelini managed them twisted it from what it was intended. Hand them out before the season, and get some of those graphics featuring them, or even go old school and make posters. They are an identity, not a prize. Though the way Pelini handled his starters sometimes didn't help either.

Now as far as the history goes, before the switch to the 4-3, the defense was pretty average. Not the total intimidation machine they were in the '90's or with Suh. Getting back to basics is a good place to start.

All the Blackshirts were when they started was black practice jerseys that the starters would wear in practice. It grew from there to mean a bit more but all they ever really were was the reward for being named the starters on defense. the Blackshirt tradition is the standard of excellence that the players try to live up to. Wether they are dominant or less then hoped for, the starters were always the blackshirts

For me as a fan, I always think of the Husker defense as the Blackshirts. Good or bad, that's just who they are. It's been difficult over the years, because I don't think our previous coach wanted them referred to that until he said so, or proven by performance. And I mean referred by us fans, media, and players. Someone mentioned reward based, and that was not the jist of the tradition. The year before he arrived, the defense got soft mentally and emotionally, remember? So it's possible that it's how this all started by getting the team toughened up and earning the blackshirts. I thought it was ok at first, that first year only. Since then it was handled poorly

It should be similar to how it was handled in the early days. They get the jerseys a few weeks before the season opener, so they can start to build up that group rapport, confidence and mental toughness. The name itself represents the defense. Effort, pride, and success per game does not change it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other university that has a nickname for a specific unit that is universally known. Which is why I think it's pretty special in that way.

When they are national TV, and I hear Fowler, Reece Davis, or Herbstreit refer to the defense as blackshirts, it's usually a slip of the tongue or historical habit and respect. "The Blackshirts need to tighten up here so the offense can get the ball back..." or, "Great pressure by the blackshirts" - which goes way back to the Keith Jackson days. When that happens I think the same thing in my mind. Because good or bad, they are the blackshirts and that's the endearing name we call them. Therefor, it will be refreshing to see them get back to basics with this tradition.

• Fire 4

we could spend a lot of time worrying about this or use that time to recruit, watch film and improve the defense............we had lots of traditions that have been tabled or pushed aside...it doesn't really matter. i prefer to live in the present and stop dreaming about how dominant we were in the past.....it's past!!!

knapplc nailed it with his two posts. My recollection is the Blackshirts in the 70s & 80s weren't the best D BUT they were always one of the hardest working groups. Other teams hated playing our D because the Blackshirts never took a play off. DONU still got beat very badly at times, but we never stopped (mentality).

As soon as we have a good defensive season, I think the "tradition" will be back...

• Fire 1

Blackshirts don't quit. They don't lay down for anybody. They might get beat by the opponent, in this game, anybody can be beat but you better bring your "A" game to do it. The Blackshirt is the toughest, baddest son of a gun on that field, win or lose.

If I see a Husker defense quit, I no longer consider them Blackshirts.

• Fire 3

Blackshirts don't quit. They don't lay down for anybody. They might get beat by the opponent, in this game, anybody can be beat but you better bring your "A" game to do it. The Blackshirt is the toughest, baddest son of a gun on that field, win or lose.

If I see a Husker defense quit, I no longer consider them Blackshirts.

That

I just want to see a unit give it 110% percent from start to finish. I want to see a unit that knows whats expected of them, that doesnt look lost. I want to see a unit that strikes that fear into their foes.

I think the Blackshirts being given out during fall camp makes much more sense. It's not some reward to be earned individually during the season by an arbitrary decision. It is a statement from the coaches that you are THE MAN at your position. They give it out to all the starters and tell them to protect it. Give it your all because there's someone nibbling at your heels that just might want it worse than you if you give it up.

That's how you make the tradition mean something. It's an incentive to boost those players to the next level. To make them come to practice every day thinking "I'm going to dominate everyone here, because that blackshirt means everything to me and I don't want to lose it."

it's not dead, but it's not in a good place...

Watching those defenses in the 80's and 90's, the opposition was afraid and you could see it. All you have to do is see the highlight reels from back then, and you opposing teams getting lit up. But it wasn't about the defense just crushing the opponents, but more about they put themselves in positions to make plays.

Will we see a return to that, I hope so, because I for one miss it.

• Fire 1

For me it means:

Players set apart by achievement, to achieve, a certain level of play that as a Unit can rise up to make plays to help win the play, series, or game when called upon.

That's what bothered me about the last 10 yrs or so. Hand them out to the select few (top 11-14 players) who have shown that when called upon can make the plays necessary to win the play or series or game. Let it be known that those players are set apart and have higher expectations to attain those goals on defense; ultimately to help the Team win games.

Further, as those players are set apart, let those who wish to achieve a Blackshirt earn them by achievement and competiton through hardnosed, tough, balls out play.

A standard set by those that came before and known to those who come after that it's earned and expected a certain level of tenacity and ferocity.

It's alive and well when when it's known what the goals are and that competition and respect are what earn the coveted Blackshirt, representing a style of play by a select few who live up to that.

• Fire 1

Here is an article discussing returning to the blackshirt tradition.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/restoring-the-blackshirts/article_7e086cee-c0fe-11e4-83f7-e31930994901.html

But I wonder if it is possible to restore the tradition. After all, it has over 10 years since the blackshirts have been handed out properly, and with the exception of two years, the past 11 years have been far, far removed from good defense. I don't think returning to traditional way of awarding blackshirts will return the tradition. IMO, the defense has to become dominant again to restore the tradition. Who cares if a defense has a catchy name if they are sorry.

What do you think? Will the tradition be restored this year?

The defense wasn't dominating the day those first black practice jerseys were purchased. Even if the defense was "sorry" the starters would still be the blackshirts as long as they played with all they had. Broderick Thomas, Neil Smith, Rich Glover, Trev Alberts...and so many others...every single play, gave everything they had, not just for their teammates and coaches, but also for the fans and the State of Nebraska. There was an expectation of greatness from the Blackshirt Defense and the players did their best to live up to it.

The tradition, if it is indeed gone, can come back in the same way that it was started in the beginning. Make every player on the defense want one so bad he'd sell his own mother to get it.