Chris Brasfield

Awesome, yes. But isn't it weird?

In that for the first time in a decade we have a coach and program reaching out to the youth and people in this state?

Yes. That does seem kinda weird.

Weird in that he is not a native, and he is typically a position coach. He just applied for a position coach job at Texas not too long ago.

I don't know why, I expected someone who had some local ties in place.

OHHH... That's what you meant by weird... Yes that's weird.

I am not sure why there is a need for this walk-on recruiter to have local ties. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

This guy has a tough job in trying to recruit kids to Nebraska without a scholarship offer. He has to be able to sell NU and the program, knowing that the kid will not be on scholarship right away, and may not ever be on scholarship.

He will have to be a heck of a salesman to do that.

Also, the best recruiters are known for being able to build relationships with kids and coaches. I think Brasfield will be able to build strong relationships with the high school coaches in the state of Nebraska, as he looks for preferred walk-ons.

• Fire 1

He isn't only in charge of the walk-on program but is the main guy who ALL high school coaches are to contact. That means schools from coast to coast. I am sure he already has really good connections that will help us out but will also build new ones. Very good hire IMO.

• Fire 1

In that for the first time in a decade we have a coach and program reaching out to the youth and people in this state?

Really, Count?

Hey I said ten years. More like 12 though. It's not all on Bo. There's been a pretty legit disconnect in comparison to how it used to be. Just ask some of the high school coaches. From anywhere. Whether it's a result of the sharp drop-off in the talent available or what, I dont know. But it's been there. But as a coach of literally the only bigtime thing this state has, you have to constantly reach out and make the state feel like it's a part of it. Did you honestly feel apart of it the last few years? And I know no one really felt a part of it during Callahan. That was just a culture shock of epic proportions anyway. There just always seemed to be some sort of rift. Too much business like. Now that may work in other places, but here it doesnt. This has to be one big family to make the train go. And Riley's been around so long he understands the dynamic of having ALL your resources on board. He understands that out there somewhere is some 12 year old stud thats about 5 years from being the next big thing, and it's his job to make that kid wanna consider absolutely no one else period. Just like it used to be when if a kid had any spec of talent, he was gonna be a Husker. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And he lived his life day by day for that purpose. That's what we're trying to get back to. That's the connection that's so important. I'm not saying Bo ruined. But saying he didnt do everything in his power to try to understand it or fix is plenty fair.

• Fire 1

Really, Count?

Hey I said ten years. More like 12 though. It's not all on Bo. There's been a pretty legit disconnect in comparison to how it used to be. Just ask some of the high school coaches. From anywhere. Whether it's a result of the sharp drop-off or what, I dont know. But it's been there. But as a coach of literally the only bigtime thing this state has, you have to constantly reach out and make the state feel like it's a part of it. Did you honestly feel apart of it the last few years? And I know no one really felt a part of it during Callahan. That was just a culture shock of epic proportions anyway. There just always seemed to be some sort of rift. Too much business like. Now that may work in other places, but here it doesnt. This has to be one big family to make the train go. And Riley's been around so long he understands the dynamic of having ALL your resources on board. He understands that out there somewhere is some 12 year old stud thats about 5 years from being the next big thing, and it's his job to make that kid wanna consider absolutely no one else period. Just like it used to be when if a kid had any spec of talent, he was gonna be a Husker. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And he lived his life day by day for that purpose. That's what we're trying to get back to. That's the connection that's so important. I'm not saying Bo ruined. But saying he didnt do everything in his power to try to understand it or fix is plenty fair.

Spot freaking on amigo

Gosh Darn - I like what MR has been doing with this staff. :wub::worship:koolaid2::restore However, it makes me feel as though I've been cheated ever since Solich was fired.

First we get BC who didn't understand the NU culture - where NU appeared to be 'just a job'. dedhoarse Then we get Bo, who, well we all know the story dedhoarse

I think for the first time in a long time, I have confidence that our coaching staff can actually get us back to being relevant again and winning championships. Yes, it has to be proven

on the field but I sure like the feel of this and it will be fun to watch this team develop :snacks:

Spot on Count.

Knowing your job and learning your new job are two different things.

We have gone form one extreme to the other on that side. I truly expect a lot more from Coach Riley, due to his past and his knowledge of how to fit the coaches together.

Recruiting is a mind set. You either can do it or you can't. Makes no difference where you are assigned or where you are from, learning to fit into your area of responsibility is the key. Recruiters adapt.

Brasfield appears to have the number one quality, confidence. Really looking forward to what a truly experienced and dedicated coaching staff can do with Nebraska. I expect to see great improvement in all areas. A swagger from pride in the program, the University, the state and their coaches. Going to be fun the next few years.