Post spring game QB depth chart

One thing Riley said he was looking for in the spring game was guys who might not stick out as much in practice, but show up big in a game-like environment.

Maybe Darlington is one of those guys?

If we were going to break in a frosh QB, this would be the year to do it. The most hostile environment he'd see would be . . . Minnesota?

Cue saunders' Ric Flair gif

Miami is probably more hostile than Minnesota.
I'm expecting it to be more of a home game.

I think Armstrong > Zac Lee > Cody Green

So is Darlington > Taylor Martinez?

Cause that's the last time an untested Freshman unseated both an incumbent starter and the would-be phenom who lost his mojo.

It's risky to bench a starting quarterback, but crazy not to if the back-up is burning up the field every practice.

Rilely, like most coaches, will go with the player who will help them win. No reason it can't, or shouldn't be a Freshman. But one Spring Game won't decide it.

If we pretend this is the only factor, it's not mathematically sound.

A > Z and T > Z and D > A does not imply D > T

Sure, if you're a slave to algebra.

This is more like String Theory.

Consider the parallel universe, then get back to me.

I'll rephrase my reply. Martinez was much better than Armstrong. In my opinion he was better than Armstrong in both passing and throwing. Darlington does not need to be better than Martinez was in order to start over Armstrong. There's a crapton of wiggle room in between Martinez and Armstrong for Darlington to fit in. (That's what she said).

I sat in on one of Brian Greene's lectures at Stanford when the world was younger. Great stuff.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson thinks it's bunk, but it's a fun concept nonetheless.

I sat in on one of Brian Greene's lectures at Stanford when the world was younger. Great stuff.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson thinks it's bunk, but it's a fun concept nonetheless.

It really was the only way to get Leonard Nimoy in the reboot of Star Trek.

I'll rephrase my reply. Martinez was much better than Armstrong. In my opinion he was better than Armstrong in both passing and throwing. Darlington does not need to be better than Martinez was in order to start over Armstrong. There's a crapton of wiggle room in between Martinez and Armstrong for Darlington to fit in. (That's what she said).

I'd still like to see more of ZD in action at the collegiate level, but from what I have seen, he is already a better passer than Martinez or TA are, but he's not as good of a runner as either. If Riley really wants to focus on having a QB that can pass, and TA does not show much improvement in the next few months, then ZD or someone else should get the start. Fans are going to give Riley a couple years to get his system in, but if TA starts the next 2 years, then Riley will have a brand new QB in his 3rd year. Why not start implementing the new system now that is predicated on a QB that can pass the ball.

Question, does anyone know what type of offense Langsdorf is running, in terms of West Coast, Air Coryell, or Erhardt-Perkins, or is it something completely different

Multiple

tZOS8.gif

I heard his offense takes what they want, not what the defense gives them.

Sounds like a rapist's wit. i like it.

I'd go with

Armstrong (by default)

Darlington

Bush

Fyfe

Stanton is barely hanging on here. He's got to get his mojo going.

Could it be said that "Johnny Tebow" is a "bust"?! Man, this is a guy that Riley also heavily recruited @ OSU. OR Ducks also wanted him. He went to the "Elite Camp", for god's sake! Wonder what's up with the Stanton.

Anyway, glad to see Darlington making some noise.

Finally got a chance to *really* watch the game.

If saunders is conducting the Darlington train, I'm definitely on board. I know, I know. It's a very small sample size. But it's the only thing we fans have seen. We got basically the same thing out of TA that we've seen for the past two years - 50% completions, some good plays and some bad throws. The only thing we have for Darlington is to assume that he can play at a similar level to what we saw Saturday.

Darlington is smooth and skilled. Easily had the best completion percentage at 7 for 11. But two of those incompletions were drops - including one that would have been a touchdown - and he got his arm hit on a third. So he really only mis-fired on one throw - and that was a play where he had to scramble, direct traffic and just overthrew Turner going to the corner. In addition, not only was he completing passes, but he was getting to guys in stride where they could run with it. Hit Turner on a nice crossing route early that Turner was able to turn into a really good gain because he caught it full speed and kept going. Also, is easily doing the best job of checking through his progression and finding the open guy.

As Benning said, best mechanics and probably best football IQ. Also, Darlington said his goal for the spring was to work his way into contention, which he's obviously done. Now he said his goal for the summer is to win the respect of his teammates - in that he needs to convince them he can do the job. Like the attitude and the outlook.

Biggest hurdles for him are overcoming two guys with more physical abilities including one (TA) who seems to have the backing of the team (rightfully so). Riley has already said several times that he likes to stretch the field vertically which is the weak part of Darlington's game but you don't have to be able to throw it 70 yards to stretch the field. If you can put it on the money at 40, that'll do.

Give me the guy who can consistently get the ball to Westerkamp, DPE, Carter, Newby, etc. and let them make the plays.

Nice post. The bold part is what stands out. Just a spring game, but a little disappointing that TA looks the same in a different offense. I don't mind cutting him some leeway in April (new offense, playbook, OC, HC). I really liked hearing about Darlington stepping up. It makes me feel a lot better that if TA misses some time, or gets benched, there is someone (immediate backup) that many feel confident in. Probably more than last season (Fyfe).

While watching the game, does it look like the QB will take a lot of hits in the pocket this year?