Lawrence Phillips Update (Spoiler Alert: Not Good)

What I said:

...trying to run a few guys over with a car in a public park in L.A. after a p/u football game--in which LP lost, I guess.

Fixed it to include the part I took issue with.

I guess we dont know for sure as to 'why'.

Because LP is too good of a football player to lose in a pick up game.

What I said:

...trying to run a few guys over with a car in a public park in L.A. after a p/u football game--in which LP lost, I guess.

Fixed it to include the part I took issue with.

I guess we dont know for sure as to 'why'.

Because LP is too good of a football player to lose in a pick up game.

The last time I thought about the 'car incident', was, hmmmm, 10 years ago, the week that it happened--go fig. I thought the news article said something to the effect that LP's team lost to some high school kids and he was p.o.'d about that--and I suppose they 'disrespected him' in the process and that's why, in part, he went all Rambo Car on them. I don't recall any stolen wallet stuff, but again, I'm going on a 10 yr old memery here...

Like I said, it came from one of the articles posted above, the Chatelain article http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/chatelain/the-mystery-of-lawrence-phillips/article_885befd8-e2b2-11e4-b184-3339536b5702.html

August 2005: Phillips, wanted by police for two cases of domestic violence, allegedly drives a stolen car across a Los Angeles park into a crowd of teenagers who, Phillips believed, had jacked his wallet after he’d stopped to play a pickup football game with them. He strikes three kids, according to witness accounts compiled by the Associated Press.

Like I said, it came from one of the articles posted above, the Chatelain article http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/chatelain/the-mystery-of-lawrence-phillips/article_885befd8-e2b2-11e4-b184-3339536b5702.html

August 2005: Phillips, wanted by police for two cases of domestic violence, allegedly drives a stolen car across a Los Angeles park into a crowd of teenagers who, Phillips believed, had jacked his wallet after he’d stopped to play a pickup football game with them. He strikes three kids, according to witness accounts compiled by the Associated Press.

joe-dirt.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Why in the hell does it matter why he tried to run them over? He tried to run them over

Would it matter if he was just chasing them around? And wasn't really trying to run them over?

I don't know if that's the case or not, but I've always wondered whether he was actually trying to kill them over a pick-up football game or just trying to scare them.

Good listen.

Damon Benning

Excellent segment by Benning. +1. I didn't realize that TO put it to a team vote whether they should give LP a second chance. Tom put pros and cons on the white board before the vote, to let guys know that it would be controversial to keep him.

Funny, but when people criticize TO for keeping Lawrence on the team they never mention that TO put it to a team vote as to whether they should keep him. They make it sound like it was a selfish decision on TO's part. I think TO was just trying to give the guy a second chance and send him on to the NFL in good stead.

Putting it to a team vote is fine. Whatever. But Phillips should have never played another down that year. Let alone start the Fiesta Bowl. Osborne let him play and start to help him increase his draft stock so he could be rid of him.

Did Osborne, a doctor of child psychology, really think that Phillips going to the NFL where there is millions of dollars in the hands of immature young people was the best option for someone like LP? Not buying it.

Educational psychology.

Well now this changes everything

It's a pretty significant difference. Besides, you'd think people here would know what Dr. Tom's doctorate is in; he's the most famous baseketball coach the school has ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore the fact that the article is BleacherReporter. It is easily the best article I've read on BR. Thanks for posting, kchusker. +1 :lol:

FYI, Here's a way-old BR article about Phillips. Pretty good read too. LINK

Ignore the fact that the article is BleacherReporter. It is easily the best article I've read on BR. Thanks for posting, kchusker. +1 :lol:

FYI, Here's a way-old BR article about Phillips. Pretty good read too. LINK

BleacherReport is far from what it was a couple years ago. That was Lars Anderson - one of the better SI writers. They've upped their game lately.