Statement from Gregory regarding the draft's first day

It was reported really early that a husker coaching staff member said the money would ruin Gregory. The insinuation I got was big money would make him lazy. Add that concern with the weight issues and he does have a higher than likely chance of being a bust.

There is a lot of upside but a lot of risk. I think other people with issues were able to show that they were worth the risk. Gregory didn't.

Now if he wants to get paid he will have to work for it. Could be a blessing in disguise. He should be embarrassed by all of this. It's his fault. You can hope he learns and that this does indeed motivate him to get paid.

The guy can smoke pot from when he retires until he dies. He can work hard for 10 years, make millions, and live comfortably after that. Kid needs to figure out his priorities. Weed should not be one. Motivation should be not having to work past 35 and getting to hit people for a living.

I want the best for him.. Unfortunately the best for him might be to not get drafted today either. My money would be he will, but from top 5 to rd 3 should be a reality check.

• Fire 1

I'm not condone players doing things that the law says not to. But if all this is over a weed incident I would be shocked.

If he truly means everything stated above then I think he gets it and wants to make right.

But yes, if you have millions on the line, keep your nose clean. Or at least have a buddy with clean pee.

Somebody is going to get a steal.

He's actually so damn talented that I don't think he's ever had to work too hard to achieve on the field. The NFL is the first place this guy will ever be challenged.

In my opinion, he's probably gotten very used to being lazy.

Maybe this is the kick in the nuts that makes him hit the weights and bring it on every down, not just when he feels like it. This guy just needs some constant motivation. He's got to decide if this is what he wants or not.

I'll only be convinced when I see it on the field, not from his words.

Still, if someone drafts Gregory in the second round, and Gregory is dead serious about his intentions on being a great player, then like I said--somebody is going to be very glad they drafted him.

Should have stayed for his senior year. Oh wait he probably would have missed half the year cause he was High. lol.

Once a husker, always a husker.

Dont kick the kid while he is down.

I dont questions Randy Gregory as a person. He seems like a good dude who just lacks the heart for the NFL. I dont judge a guy for that... some peoples interests are elsewhere.

My comments are basically sarcastic. I could care less what the kid does. It just sucks that they would hurt there chances to better their life.

I think Randy is bracing himself for a tumble on Day 2. Yikes! Hope it works out well for him. When he was able to turn it loose, he was one of the most fun players to watch on the Husker defense in recent years.

If he is about to be picked very soon, this was all (statement included) a great deal of hub-ub over nothing. Top 15-20 prospect DT Malcolm Brown almost slid into the second round before the Patriots snagged him. By this week it was apparent that Gregory was more of a Top 20 (or borderline) prospect.

I wonder if the signs aren't pointing to a slip deep into -- or out of? -- round 2.

I think it could be more then a couple things that have caused this. We know he has a weed issue and apparently a mental issue. I wonder if the mental issues have caused him to be an outcast somewhat or someone that really isn't a team player. I say this because the last couple years we have seen tweets from players saying they are hanging out with so-so but I never recalled Randy's name being brought up by another player. I know that there are 100+ players on the team and we don't know who they all hang with but I just noticed that he wasn't brought up by any.

It was reported really early that a husker coaching staff member said the money would ruin Gregory. The insinuation I got was big money would make him lazy.

Thanks Bo. OK, maybe not Bo, but I don't think whoever it was needs to speculate like that, nor is he probably qualified to do so.

I think a coach is very qualified to say so.

Maybe he admitted during those interviews that he was high while he stole crab legs? Or that he stole crab legs because he was high? Or that the crab legs he stole were stuffed with weed?

What I'm getting at is, clearly stealing crab legs (or being gifted crab legs by a fan) isn't a problem. Clearly smoking weed doesn't keep you out of the first round. So... a combination of all of those? Or more - maybe he admitted he's a soccer fan?

All this talk of Crab Legs is making me hungry.

That statement was a contrived piece of crap written by his agent that saw a hefty payday go out the window.

Best of Luck to RG but despite where others went in the draft with "character issues", these GM's thought you were worse. Maybe instead of calling out whatever teams that will pass on you with you chip on the shoulder, you should just be quiet and humble and go to work.

This is pretty much where I'm at with this.

I hope for his sake things turn out ok and he can hang in the league. I just happen to have doubts if he is mentally and physically tough enough and prepared to do all it takes to play at the next level. I thought he showed signs of getting frustrated and taking plays off while a Husker. And yes I realize he was keyed on a lot and drew double and triple teams quite often and was also subjected to some "cheap" tactics at times but, that is the nature of the game at the upper levels and he showed signs of not being able to deal with it. I have no doubts about his ability to perform at a high level.......when he really wants to. Problem is, in the NFL, that has to be every friggin down, not in spurts.

I don't know what "soul" he bared to these coaches and GM's but one thing is clear, they apparently were not impressed with what he had to tell them. When it's you against the world, bet on the world, and that is what we saw yesterday. I'm sure somebody will give him a try today just because of the perceived discounted value. I hope I have to come back and eat my words, because he is a Husker and I wish him the best, but I just don't get the feeling he is going to make an impact or hang for very long in the league.

• Fire 2

So reading that he had anxiety and used the weed to help cope, it reminds me that of the Iowa State basketball player Royce White that the Houston Rockets drafted in the first round. NBA level talent but had numerous anxiety issues and was deathly afraid of flying. The rockets felt they gave Royce every bit of help and special treatment he needed but but Royce felt he needed more and bad mouth the team and for a little while brought a bunch of negative attention to the team. Maybe the teams don't want the same kind of attention of his anxiety is that bad.

Honestly feel bad for him. He shared some really deep secrets and was totally honest and it actually hurt him. Hoping he gets drafted by a great franchise and he makes a huge impact. Will always be a fan of RG4.

• Fire 2

Maybe being toooo honest hurt him in the eyes of those coaches and GMs & they couldn't separate the past from the future.

It's a sad deal because as he said it definitely sounded like he was coming clean. If you were cool you'd have to give him credit for that but in the end the NFL is still run by suits. For me it's great that it seems as if he has a chip on his shoulder now. Let's see if he can turn it up a notch and show what he's really capable of. Hopefully that means beefing up and making some plays and showing a team and his fans that he can make it in the NFL.