JUCO LB William Johnson [North Texas Commit]

You have kind of a unique background, give us a rundown of your high school career.

During my first couple of years of high school I wasn’t eligible to play football. I didn’t have the grades. My first couple years of high school, I liked football and everything, but I was struggling with school and with my family problems. My mother had breast cancer at the time and really more went into helping her. My junior year of high school my mother passed away from breast cancer and that really took a toll on me because my mother was really all I had. Before she passed away she influenced me to go back and play football and I started doing what I had to do to get my grades right — becoming a better person. My senior year I came in and got my grades right and started at running back and middle linebacker.

Has your mother passing away inspire you, and is that part of the reason you want to come to Nebraska?

That’s the main reason I am who I am today — my mother. I’m just making her proud and I’m just going to keep my faith that she’s behind me 100 percent. I know she’s very proud of me and my decision that I made to commit to Nebraska. I know she’s looking down at me and she’s very excited.

OWH

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

William Johnson Jr.

http://dataomaha.com

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound commit has one quality that stands out from the rest. “The key is,” coach Tom Minnick said, “the kid can run.”
<snip>
Johnson went to the same junior college that produced former Husker defensive end Randy Gregory. The second-round NFL draft pick played just one year for Minnick, missing his sophomore season with an injury. But Gregory was still a big reason why Minnick started running more 3-4 looks.
LINK (Video interview in that link.)

This guy might be the first to see the field in the 2016 class. There's gonna be competition for starting LB, and Johnson has a couple years Juco playing experience. That, and he's coming to UNL in January.

One of the recruiting guys (I forget which one) said on 1620 that Slick Willy was perhaps a bit underrated and that he thinks he has a chance to be a contributor with his size and speed. Just said that he might not have trumped up what he actually thinks of Johnson enough... may be an under the radar stud.

Just thought it was interesting.

One of the recruiting guys (I forget which one) said on 1620 that Slick Willy was perhaps a bit underrated and that he thinks he has a chance to be a contributor with his size and speed. Just said that he might not have trumped up what he actually thinks of Johnson enough... may be an under the radar stud.

Just thought it was interesting.

Was a guy from 247. Basically said a lot of services including 247 didn't know anything about him but hia film is great and he flew under the radar. Felt he was one of the better commits

• 2 weeks later...

He looks really fast on his film. His tackling is very good and violent at the same time. ASU offer should be in before the night is over.

A runner-hitter. His acceleration to the ball is impressive.

Welcome, Johnson! :bigredn:

I really like this player. Size, speed and JuCo experience at a position in need (of competition and depth). Great job Huskers

• 2 weeks later...