Camping Out: Quarterbacks

Am I the only one who somewhat wishes we could have seen Beck a year without the Bo handcuffs on? The bowl game, that's what I was hoping to get from Beck in looking at his old film. And we scored, a lot.

We will get to see it, but he'll being doing it in Ohio.

Beck won't have the Bo handcuffs on, but he will not be the playcaller. Ed Warriner (OL coach) is the offensive coordinator. Beck (QB coach) is the co-offensive coordinator. And you also have Urb giving a fair amount of input.

For reference, last year Tom Herman was the OC (play caller) and Warriner was the co-OC.

I'll just drop it. I'm looking for a reason the pass was thrown, not the reason it would have been a great reception if the receiver made it to the spot. I see that. He didn't get there, the defender did, interception. Understood. Still think the throw wasn't necessary.

Watch the video. The pass is at 1:59.

The receivers were running into each other basically as he started throwing.

http://www.btn2go.com/video/nebraska-at-michigan-state--football-highlights

Actually, the receivers weren't running into each other. The MSU defender collided with our receiver so he couldn't keep running his route. He would have been in a spot to make the reception but for that.

That is not to say that TA doesn't have a huge problem throwing passes he shouldn't, but the last play of the MSU game last year is not representative of that problem.

That's my only point in this.

...no. Having options does not imply that they are running around aimlessly. They have set routes with multiple options. These options are determined by the coverage. They then run a specific route based upon the coverage. The QB can understand where his receiver will go if he is also reading the defense the same way.

I suggest learning how to tease through an argument before turning into an arrogant prick.

I was an arrogant prick well before I wrote that so I don't want you to think I just turned into one - though I would like to learn how to "tease" through an argument sometime. I googled it, found a big psycholinguistic study out of Italy. Read some of it but got pretty bored after the first page. Can you cliffs notes it for me?

Am I the only one who somewhat wishes we could have seen Beck a year without the Bo handcuffs on? The bowl game, that's what I was hoping to get from Beck in looking at his old film. And we scored, a lot.

Beck won't have the Bo handcuffs on, but he will not be the playcaller. Ed Warriner (OL coach) is the offensive coordinator. Beck (QB coach) is the co-offensive coordinator. And you also have Urb giving a fair amount of input.

For reference, last year Tom Herman was the OC (play caller) and Warriner was the co-OC.

This Bo handcuffs thing is getting out of control.

Its ridiculous how we'll give Beck all kinds of credit for how good his offenses were, then excuse all the bad crap he did by saying he was handcuffed. Its crap.

He's been the OC here for four years. I've watched his teams and his QB's do the same dumb stuff for four years. We've watched his offense and his offensive line execute sloppy football for four years. One game, the USC game, does not validate this whole "Bo handcuffs" theory.

Beck will be getting an education at Ohio St., that's it. Does it look like they need a QB coach? They've got three QB's on their roster that can step in and run the offense if needed. So no, they don't need Beck. Becks role will be very limited and if I were him, I'd be glad I've got friends in Ohio and take advantage of this learning opportunity.

Some act as if Urban Meyer hiring Beck somehow validates him also. NEWS FLASH: The guy went from being the offensive coordinator AT NEBRASKA, to a QB COACH at Ohio St. That's a demotion folks, not a promotion. I know the whole world is kissing Urban and Ohio St.'s grits right now, but Tim Beck took a step down when he left here. Guys that are such "great OC's" with perennial "top 10-15" offenses, don't usually step backwards into QB coaching jobs.

/end rant

• Fire 1

I can see the "handcuff" argument as having some merit. I don't think the Arizona game after canning Watson (IIRC), or the USC game after Bo got canned can be ignored. Those were the ONLY 2 games that Beck had complete control over the offense. Both games were huge departures from our normal offense. (nevermind it wasn't Beck - Watson was still coaching the ASU game and that's where we started to see the shift to zone-read)

I do believe Bo controlled the offense to an extent after the A&M game. The defense began to crumble as he became more involved in the O (which was documented plenty in the media). In retrospect he should have stuck w/ the D, he might still have a job.

I can see the "handcuff" argument as having some merit. I don't think the Arizona game after canning Watson (IIRC, or was it a Washington?), or the USC game after Bo got canned can be ignored. Those were the ONLY 2 games that Beck had complete control over the offense. Both games were huge departures from our normal offense.

I do believe Bo controlled the offense to an extent after the A&M game. The defense began to crumble as he became more involved in the O (which was documented plenty in the media). In retrospect he should have stuck w/ the D, he might still have a job.

90% sure Watson left (was let go) after signing day whatever year that was and coached all bowl games.

Its ridiculous how we'll give Beck all kinds of credit for how good his offenses were, then excuse all the bad crap he did by saying he was handcuffed. Its crap.

He's been the OC here for four years. I've watched his teams and his QB's do the same dumb stuff for four years. We've watched his offense and his offensive line execute sloppy football for four years. One game, the USC game, does not validate this whole "Bo handcuffs" theory.

Beck will be getting an education at Ohio St., that's it. Does it look like they need a QB coach? They've got three QB's on their roster that can step in and run the offense if needed. So no, they don't need Beck. Becks role will be very limited and if I were him, I'd be glad I've got friends in Ohio and take advantage of this learning opportunity.

Some act as if Urban Meyer hiring Beck somehow validates him also. NEWS FLASH: The guy went from being the offensive coordinator AT NEBRASKA, to a QB COACH at Ohio St. That's a demotion folks, not a promotion. I know the whole world is kissing Urban and Ohio St.'s grits right now, but Tim Beck took a step down when he left here. Guys that are such "great OC's" with perennial "top 10-15" offenses, don't usually step backwards into QB coaching jobs.

/end rant

Offensive Coordinator and QB coach to Co-Offensive Coordinator and QB coach at a better school might be a slight step down, but not a big one. What's out of control is the amount of twisting and contorting you're trying to attempt to discredit any ability on his end.

Count me in the camp that thinks Beck is a solid pick, and yes, getting hired by Urban is a validation. We've seen him put together really good offense, and we've never seen him put together horrible offense. Plus there's Shawn Watson as anecdotal evidence of the "Bo handcuffs" theory as well, who has done very well for himself after leaving here.

• Fire 1

I wouldn't mind being able to watch games from that high angle behind the play for an entire game.

Trying to get our HS to get one of those endzone camera's that are always being marketed at every coaching clinic ever. Problem is, that it's way too damn expensive. So much easier for film breakdown when teaching to kids, especially the OLine and their first steps etc...

Could always use a drone.

True, but from what I read, he'll have alot of input on gameplanning, playcalling, and is the one in charge of the QB's. Maybe he'll "Beck" them too, or maybe they'll run the table. IDK.

Kind of like giving the RB's all the credit for our run game the last 5 years, and then blaming all the bad stuff on the OC and OL, while not giving the opponent credit.

;)

• Fire 4

I'll just drop it. I'm looking for a reason the pass was thrown, not the reason it would have been a great reception if the receiver made it to the spot. I see that. He didn't get there, the defender did, interception. Understood. Still think the throw wasn't necessary.

Watch the video. The pass is at 1:59.

The receivers were running into each other basically as he started throwing.

http://www.btn2go.com/video/nebraska-at-michigan-state--football-highlights

Yeah I dont see receivers colliding, I see a receiver being held up by a defender. I get it, he shoulda been there.

My whole point/question is why is Tommy making that kind of throw if he is also struggling with the dump pass to Ameer that starts that drive.

In the middle of that he delivers two awesome throws to Moore, one for a big gain and the other a game winner if he hold on. So he has the means.

I get the receiver needed to be there. But there isnt a statistic anywhere for that, only that Tommy threw a pick. So in the end lets blame the defender for doing a good job I guess and call it over.

Edit: Watched it one more time. Yeah the receiver was late due to defender being in the way. But, I hate to say this after all the discussion, I think the pass was a little high too. What drives me nuts is the defender that picked it knew exactly where the ball was going.

I always liked part of Beck's scheme. He utilized some creative stuff in the running game. He might be a passing game wiz, but I liked the bones of his running game. The problem I always felt was that he needed someone to massage the system. Someone other than Bo to tell him how to make it better. I think he's getting that from Meyer. And you can bet that Meyer is getting something from Beck, too.

I remember Meyer was calling the game against Michigan in 2011. And we ran that inverted veer with a speed option attached (TM hands off to Burkhead, who then runs speed option with Ameer, Ameer scored). Anyway, I remember Meyer said something of the effect of "I might have to steal that play..." I think that play stuck with him, and I think he's "stealing" the play now that he's got the guy who used it.

Maybe I'm looking too much into some dumb commentary about how much he liked the play though.

Either way, I think there's merit to each part of the argument. There were a lot of things I liked about Beck, but a lot of other things that I didn't like about Beck. I almost wished someone else had his playbook and called the plays for him (Me, with a controller on my couch, with some Cool Rand Doritos and a bottle of Pepsi close by to help me think...).

Yeah I dont see receivers colliding, I see a receiver being held up by a defender. I get it, he shoulda been there.

My whole point/question is why is Tommy making that kind of throw if he is also struggling with the dump pass to Ameer that starts that drive.

In the middle of that he delivers two awesome throws to Moore, one for a big gain and the other a game winner if he hold on. So he has the means.

I get the receiver needed to be there. But there isnt a statistic anywhere for that, only that Tommy threw a pick. So in the end lets blame the defender for doing a good job I guess and call it over.

You're asking why Tommy is throwing a specific pass play on a 2nd and 10 situation with 30 (+/-) seconds left in the game on a crucial and potential game winning drive after throwing two great balls to Moore the two plays previous?

Honestly, I have no idea how to answer that question.

If I'm not mistaken, you're questioning the play call. Which is understandable. I don't understand why Beck would want that pass play, dependent on good timing to be run by two inexperienced guys. DPE and Hovey may not be your best candidates for that play in the crucial of a situation, and it showed.