The Blackshirts are back

knapplc

They'll probably change their view on handing them out early when this defense isn't giving up 400 yards rushing to one player, 70 points to a 7-5 team, almost 100 yards rushing to Garrett Gilbert, or allow northwestern to march down te field in our house for a game winning score.

• Fire 3

Ugh, this whole idea of who had the tradition of the Blackshirts right is really lame. I don't think we were bitching about how Bo handled the Blackshirts in 2009 and 2010. He used them to motivate the team in a different manner.

But, now that all things Bo must be criticized endlessly, his POV of the Blackshirts is the worst thing ever.

People have been complaining about it for at least 4 years now. It's never been a huge deal to me but it's still amusing to see recent players saying this "new" way is wrong, when it's actually the old way.

Old way, new way, who freaking cares. What matters most is how the D plays on game day. Gangwish can cry and say how much it means for him to be a Blackshirt, but it won't mean jack sh&t if he doesn't play well on Saturdays.

I loved Gomes when he was a Husker. He is one of my favorite Huskers of the past 10 years. I don't have any ill will towards him just because he was part of a team that did things "differently".

I don't think anybody is really thinking any less of Gomes. He was just coached in a different era with a different mentality towards the Blackshirts. But, regardless of WHEN they're handed out, they still have to be earned.

Personally, I think the "meaning" of the Blackshirt gets blown out of proportion, at times. Over the years, being a Blackshirt has transitioned from simply being a "starter" jersey to being a starter playing at a certain level. I still think it's important to play at a high level as a Blackshirt, no doubt about that.

If the guys finished the season with the 10th overall ranked defense, or the 30th overall ranked defense, they'll still be Blackshirts to me.

The takeaway from this should be: Gomes still cares. A lot. And we were, and are, damned lucky to have him. And Lavonte David. And Suh.

I didn't like Bo's method of handing out the Blackshirts. I understood it, but I thought it was ineffective, and caused unnecessary distractions.

The guys that wore the Blackshirts do hold a little more weight in the discussion, and this is a passion filled subject for all Huskers and fans.

Respect the opinions of all involved but in my opinion there is only one right way to do this.

You give the Blackshirts at the beginning of the year, but the right to keep them should be earned. If you aren't playing like a Blackshirt, then you shouldn't be wearing one. I'm not talking just about statistics here. We've all witnessed some "Blackshirt" defenses recently that have laid down and took it. Those aren't Blackshirts. Passion, aggression and effort should be instinctive.

Good thing about all this discussion between fans, and current and former players, is that its obvious a lot of people care about this tradition. That can never be a bad thing.

Every year after that though it became a distraction. When was pelini Going to hand them out? After a bad performance was he going to take them away? Unnecessary drama that ended up growing over time into a big joke.

Definitely.

Also, in order to bring the tradition back with pride, we'll need to see more like Jack Gangwish. That's awesome. You can tell it's not everybody, but it has to start with somebody. Lead by example!