Screw you complainers

knapplc

No, sir. What you're saying is the precise opposite of being consistent and your bald-faced claims to the contrary won't change that.

Your feelings and your opinion are fine but for goodness sake please be honest about it. You think that Bo Pelini got a raw deal and that he is/was a better coach than Mike Riley. I have no doubt that you have your reasons (which probably include hours of sports talk radio) for thinking that. That said, don't pretend to be fair and balanced when you've made excuses for one and then insisted that there can be no excuses for the other.

Own it.

It's unfortunate that nothing you've said is true. I'm following the narrative that has been going around here for years. Not my narrative, but whatever.

And I'm on the record for saying that Bo needed to go.

If you'd bother to inform yourself then you might just learn that most of the talking heads around these parts speak well of Riley and staff. I realize that you don't feel that people who have access to the program ( many who have played the game at tnt highest levels) and relate their opinions over the air are as credible as a random message board poster, but often times former NFLers know a little about the game. Sorry, In don't have an internet link for you, so I'm sure you won't buy into that theory.

And to set the record, again, to form my opinion, I've simply checked out what this staff has done. Bill parcels said you are what your record says it is.

So you're pissy because of a perceived narrative around here for years? Why do you care what the narrative has been here for years? Don't you have your own opinion? That is by definition "an axe to grind".

Now, if this is your own opinion....are you telling us that as long as Riley is here, you're going to come on here all pissy acting like you know for fact he is going to fail and he is such a huge mistake and you know this for fact because you didn't like the hire?

And...for the record, this has NOT been the narrative around here for years. A vast majority of this board supported the staff when they were hired. Sure, there were maybe a question here or there about experience...etc. But, in the end, we gave them a chance to succeed. Now, as time went on, various people became less and less enthusiastic about the staff. However, that happened due to what those guys did HERE AT NEBRASKA. NOT, some perceived failure before they ever got here and started their jobs.

What has happened here with some fans like you and Theskers is simply axe to grind and a complete inability to give a staff a chance to succeed.

Own it.

It's unfortunate that nothing you've said is true. I'm following the narrative that has been going around here for years. Not my narrative, but whatever.
What does this mean? Whose narrative are you following, then?

Whomever has said that there are 9 wins built into the schedule, and that winning 9 games here is easy.

I mean, TO didn't think it was all that easy, but what does he know.

So you're pissy because of a perceived narrative around here for years? Why do you care what the narrative has been here for years? Don't you have your own opinion? That is by definition "an axe to grind".

Now, if this is your own opinion....are you telling us that as long as Riley is here, you're going to come on here all pissy acting like you know for fact he is going to fail and he is such a huge mistake and you know this for fact because you didn't like the hire?

Simmer down, bro. I'm not pissy, I just have an opinion. I'm not going to apologize for it differing from others.

Ultimately, what I think isn't going make this regime a failure or a success. Their record on the field will.

• Fire 1

Simmer down, bro. I'm not pissy, I just have an opinion. I'm not going to apologize for it differing from others.

Ultimately, what I think isn't going make this regime a failure or a success. Their record on the field will.

Ok...so, that opinion is that this is a horrible hire and you're going to take every opportunity to tell everyone how horrible it is and how much they are going to fail and on and on and on ....constantly.

Hopefully you can recognize the huge difference between being fed up with a coach in year 7 and not even giving the new coach a chance? The fact that you said this was some sort of caveat tells me that maybe you don't recognize that difference and that is rather concerning IMO.

That doesn't really change the point though. It's a matter of half full vs half empty. And for the record, I was referencing it starting in 2011, not last year.

• Fire 1

Ok...so, that opinion is that this is a horrible hire and you're going to take every opportunity to tell everyone how horrible it is and how much they are going to fail and on and on and on ....constantly.

Not at all, but even if I would, why does my opinion upset you so much.

I want this program to be great again, but what I want to happen, what I think will happen, and what ultimately do happen may not be the same.

I've complimented on what I think has improved, but I don't think that this staff should be immune from any criticism, nor do I feel that any and all improvements we've seen can be directly attributed to them. It's far too early to tell.

Fans are fanatical and that means many times we have unreasonable or unfounded optimism of a sports team. Good lord, why is it fun for some to be pissed and negative all the time?

I agree with this, with one caveat. Some people who are taking this stance now, lambasted those who took this stance the last few years.

Hopefully you can recognize the huge difference between being fed up with a coach in year 7 and not even giving the new coach a chance? The fact that you said this was some sort of caveat tells me that maybe you don't recognize that difference and that is rather concerning IMO.

That doesn't really change the point though. It's a matter of half full vs half empty.

You're really going to double down on this point of view?

The two situations should not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

On one hand, you have a 7th year coach who had won no games of substance, no championships, and had been blown out embarrassingly numerous times. Actually quite logical and to be expected that numerous people would be pissed and negative about that situation.

On the other hand, you have a newly hired coach who has only had one summer to correct the bunker mentality left behind by the previous coach, implement totally new offensive and defensive systems and all while dealing with a poorly stocked cupboard of young players. To date he has only coached 2 Nebraska games yet, it has not caused the f'n rocket scientists I am talking about to slow their roll at all on expressing their complete and utter dissatisfaction with the new head coach, the head coach of a team they supposedly are fans of.

How can you possibly say this doesn't change the point? What was your point other than to compare two completely different situations? Are you saying it is logical and rational and even remotely fair for these tools to not give MR a chance? I'm confused.

• Fire 5

That doesn't really change the point though. It's a matter of half full vs half empty.

You're really going to double down on this point of view?

The two situations should not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

On one hand, you have a 7th year coach who had won no games of substance, no championships, and had been blown out embarrassingly numerous times. Actually quite logical and to be expected that numerous people would be pissed and negative about that situation.

On the other hand, you have a newly hired coach who has only had one summer to correct the bunker mentality left behind by the previous coach, implement totally new offensive and defensive systems and all while dealing with a poorly stocked cupboard of young players. To date he has only coached 2 Nebraska games yet, it has not caused the f'n rocket scientists I am talking about to slow their roll at all on expressing their complete and utter dissatisfaction with the new head coach, the head coach of a team they supposedly are fans of.

How can you possibly say this doesn't change the point? What was your point other than to compare two completely different situations? Are you saying it is logical and rational and even remotely fair for these tools to not give MR a chance? I'm confused.

I referenced a period of years (hence starting in 2011), not a singular season (last year). 2010 or 2011 was when this attitude started, and it was a vastly different outlook than 2014. My entire point, was that I find it odd that some people who got mad at others for refusing to see reality (as far back as 2010-2011), are now getting mad at people who aren't 100% in. That's it.

Edit: Simply put, I'm not going to begrudge people who aren't drinking the koolaid, but at the same time don't bitch about everything. But, questioning things that happen on and off the field, does not mean you don't support the staff and team. That's where the some are blurring the lines.

• Fire 3

Are you saying its logical and rational to be pissed and negative all of the time because a coach doesn't meet expectations?

Saunders replied to this:

Fans are fanatical and that means many times we have unreasonable or unfounded optimism of a sports team. Good lord, why is it fun for some to be pissed and negative all the time?

Do you disagree with that, or what are the circumstances when you don't believe fans can be fanatical and optimistic?

Of course there are different circumstances. That doesn't change the fact that we should be supporting our team, not making it personal, whether that be about feelings about Riley or Pelini.

• Fire 2

Saunders & Q-

I think I've made my position clear. I'm not going to respond to all your ever changing stipulations of the discussion. I have never once said people have to be 100% bought in to Riley. I understand having some reservations about his previous track record. I understand that some people would've preferred that someone else was hired for the job. What I don't understand and won't accept is the contempt and vitriol and animosity being directed at a man who has not been given a chance to prove what he can do here. I don't understand how some "fans" can have watched these first 2 games and not be a little bit excited that things appear to be headed in a better direction. If their take away from the night and day difference of the change from Pelini to Riley and the first 2 games is just to piss, moan, and bitch..... sorry, I don't get it. And yeah, I would just as soon those people STFU because it is a ludicrous position to hold given all the circumstances.

.....and I'm done because this sumbitch is done beat to death.

• Fire 5

Do you disagree with that, or what are the circumstances when you don't believe fans can be fanatical and optimistic?

Of course there are different circumstances. That doesn't change the fact that we should be supporting our team, not making it personal, whether that be about feelings about Riley or Pelini.

Being a fan is supposed to be fun. Believe it or not, you choose your attitude towards something. Now, I have to assume that all fans WANT to have fun. So, if a fan or group of fans have a really negative attitude towards a coaching staff long before they ever even coach a game or one or two games into their tenure, I have to believe those fans chose to have that attitude.

What absolutely baffles me is why someone chooses to have fun being so negative against something that hasn't even proven if they deserve that negativity.

• Fire 3

It's not like we haven't been here before. When Solich was fired and Clownahan hired, we went through similar circumstances. I would assume the criticisms might get rather loud if Riley has a first year similar to Clownahan. If Riley duplicates the previous regime's record, most will hold out until at least year two or three.

• Fire 1

Saunders & Q-

I think I've made my position clear. I'm not going to respond to all your ever changing stipulations of the discussion. I have never once said people have to be 100% bought in to Riley. I understand having some reservations about his previous track record. I understand that some people would've preferred that someone else was hired for the job. What I don't understand and won't accept is the contempt and vitriol and animosity being directed at a man who has not been given a chance to prove what he can do here. I don't understand how some "fans" can have watched these first 2 games and not be a little bit excited that things appear to be headed in a better direction. If their take away from the night and day difference of the change from Pelini to Riley and the first 2 games is just to piss, moan, and bitch..... sorry, I don't get it. And yeah, I would just as soon those people STFU because it is a ludicrous position to hold given all the circumstances.

.....and I'm done because this sumbitch is done beat to death.

I don't know if either of us has "ever changing stipulations," but perhaps it seems that way when people respond to your strawperson arguments and rambling.

• Fire 2