Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

I think this is good, there were a lot of Riley homers on these sites, and like the Callahan homers before that they should have to wallow in it. At least Callahan seemed to be a winner prior to his hire, Riley's record was out there in all its non-glory- this this outcome wasn't really hard to predict- ending up with SF now that is the only reason that allows me to say Riley was good for Nebraska

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also liked how people thought that MR wasn't going to bring in all of his buddies to be assistant coaches.

This. So. Much.

There were even a few mentions of him bringing in Frost as OC and HC-in-waiting

giphy.gif

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

I think this is good, there were a lot of Riley homers on these sites, and like the Callahan homers before that they should have to wallow in it. At least Callahan seemed to be a winner prior to his hire, Riley's record was out there in all its non-glory- this this outcome wasn't really hard to predict- ending up with SF now that is the only reason that allows me to say Riley was good for Nebraska

Exactly. I never understood how anyone could support Riley. He had been mediocre his entire career and was trending down. To make matters worse, he brought most of his staff with him when he could have upgraded. His sloppy style and lack of attention to detail was evident in the first game. I still remember people arguing that BYU was a top team. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Exactly. I never understood how anyone could support Riley. He had been mediocre his entire career and was trending down. To make matters worse, he brought most of his staff with him when he could have upgraded. His sloppy style and lack of attention to detail was evident in the first game. I still remember people arguing that BYU was a top team. 

No s#!t!  Some fans pretty much considered BYU to be the 85 Bears...

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Redux said:

Looking back through these threads is a painful reminder of how easily people, myslef very much included, allowed themselves to be fooled into accepting a mediocre hire.  Some people can't handle a trip down memory lane and that's okay.

You weren't fooled, you were just being a good fan and supporting your team that's all. Not many people supported the Riley era but I don't think there was as much hostility towards him as Callahan/Cosgrove even though statistically Riley was worse. He had his shot and he missed big time.

I am one who prefers to move on rather quickly. I think of the Now. Now, we've got the proven winner and a guy who is working over time to bring back the Nebraska Way culture. I think this is our football programs opportunity of a lifetime. Buckle up!

7 hours ago, teachercd said:

My favorite...all the lame tweets from national guys that thought Riley was a good hire.

Second favorite...the dudes that kept thinking Riley would all of a sudden be a good coach.

And my favorite was, "oh, he's like Bill Snyder, does so much more with less.  Just wait till he gets more resources at his disposal."... my thought was always, "Ok, if he's so much like Bill Snyder, why didn't he win more freaking games?"

Wait, wait, don't tell me ... I know the answer to that.

• Plus1 2