Backup QB

But TA is injured, and his strength is the ability to run. I do not want to see TA playing QB this tear without the ability to run, or even hesitant to take off because he is nursing a sore foot.

Did you even watch the BYU game? He had one of his better passing days, ever. Threw for the second-most yards amongst Big Ten quarterbacks this week.

Tommy may not be a prototypical passer, but he's improved by leaps & bounds over last year.

I agree. Tons of improvement in the short passing game and hardly any "could have been picked" passes. Not many rockets into double/triple coverage. Really distributed the ball nicely.

But TA is injured, and his strength is the ability to run. I do not want to see TA playing QB this tear without the ability to run, or even hesitant to take off because he is nursing a sore foot.

Did you even watch the BYU game? He had one of his better passing days, ever. Threw for the second-most yards amongst Big Ten quarterbacks this week.

Tommy may not be a prototypical passer, but he's improved by leaps & bounds over last year.

I agree. Tons of improvement in the short passing game and hardly any "could have been picked" passes. Really distributed the ball nicely.

I only remember one "bad" throw from Armstrong. He had a completion where he threw late over the middle, and the ball just got over the LB's head standing right in front of the receiver. For the most part, Armstrong threw the ball fairly well.

Tommy the returning rushing leader this season. He was second to AA last year. Why not build the O around a QB who can burn with you with his feet. What do people always say on this board?............ Every team has trouble with mobile QB's. You never hear, everyone has trouble with pro style, immobile drop back passers......

I do not think anyone fears the arm of Shotgun Jones, Barret or Miller. They fear their legs..... No one fears Bamas QB, or UGA's... They fear the running backs.

Why, by design, IMO limit such a threat. Free Tommy Gun. If you want to limit his runs, then do so by limiting the designed runs, but for a guy like TA who appears to have problems progressing through reads run. If your primary isn't open, look to #2 and then tuck and run....

Tommy is a great leader, but with the game on the line, I want the ball in his hands to run. Not pass. He did show huge improvements at times, but then had his usual mistakes.... Maybe his passing will improve in time, but his legs are already good. Make the D defend his arm and legs....

• Fire 2

I think that is being awfully generous.

At home against BYU, one of the worst secondaries in CFB last year, he was only 58% and 7.8 YPA. Last year, he averaged 53% and 7.8 YPA. Even in his previous game against USC, he had equal TD/INT and more yards. In 2014, he had 5 games with a better QBR and completion percentage than versus BYU.

He had a quarter or two where he looked really good, but also had a quarter or two that made me shudder.

I saw improvement in Tommy on Saturday, I saw obvious run situations where he hesitated and why he hesitated I don't know. You can't compare last year to this year because it is a whole different year. I thought BYU had an average secondary but not an awful one like last years. Against USC three pass td one INT I have the stats right in front of me. He had a bad second quarter but a great first third and fourth. Also during that second quarter I saw number 90 on BYU unblocked on three straight pass downs so yeah all Tommies fault of course.One of the intentional groundings was dumb but I thought the second one he was trying to make a play when an o-line couldn't block for him so he was trying to make a winners play,

We need to run the ball. Callahan v.2 will get us nowhere.

Don't say that out loud. You'll people in here to "vent" on you.

We'll never be where we want to be until we run the ball effectively. Run the gosh darn ball

Don't say that out loud. You'll people in here to "vent" on you.

We'll never be where we want to be until we run the ball effectively. Run the gosh darn ball

I will say in the second we needed to run the ball more but MR knows what he is doing BYU was in run stuff defense where they dared us to pass. The pass worked in the first but in the second it wan't going our way. Also They dared us to pass mostly in the second quarter not the whole game if I remember correctly. I don't think they overloaded either I think they had Lbs playing run first pass second and our o-line couldn't block well. Alex Lewis and the whole line stood around while tommy sacrifices his body to block for Westerkamp on that Td just remember that.

• Fire 1

Nebraska fans have a grotesque fascination with the run game. After Tommy's much-maligned completion percentage woes from 2013 and 2014, he completes 59% of his passes at a near 8 YPA clip, on a day where Nebraska played from behind and its RBs averaged just under 4 YPC. No post-Ameer hero has (yet) emerged.

So, naturally, we lost because we didn't run the ball 50 times. It's one way to play offense, but it isn't the way. It's not even clear that it's a particularly strength any longer.

Tommy needs to be kept upright. It's going to be a really rough year if we have to deal without him. This team doesn't need any more in the way of growing pains to go through.

• Fire 2