Alex Lewis social media post

Red Five

60 minutes..... 60 minutes NU had to win that game. Lewis didn't cost us the game or even contribute solely to the loss. We had 12 penalties IIRC. Several for illegal formations. Multiple dropped passes (8 IIRC). A completely ineffective running game, 1 sack on a statuesque QB, poor secondary play, no DL rush, left the middle of the field open, 3 INT's etc..... And grown a$$ men want to blame one kid.

I do not agree with him getting the penalty. You man up whistle to whistle. Not before and not after. Prove you're a tough guy in the field (this goes for all the guys). NU needs to develop and harness this attitude. The Miami DB's, save for the 2 ejections, were routinely head hunting our receivers within the confines of the rules. We Haven't had that since Assante in recent years. NU needs to develop this mean a$$ attitude. Not the penalties, but simply being mean. Playing aggressive and angry.

I will say that I love how we say penalties equate to poor prep by the coaches. No it's not.

We get penalized in high school games for illegal formations, delay of game, false starts, etc...

Do you think that we just don't address it? That's on the players being too lazy in their brains. That's not coaching. Even delay of game, play gets sent in with plenty of time and the QB or WR forgets what it was and stutters and mumbles it to the team and walk up to the line start motions late etc...we address it every week to have a sense of urgency with time.

I highly doubt the coaches don't address it because they should be fired right now. You can preach and preach and preach to not be lazy and to take ownership in what you do, but it's the kids choice to do it or not.

I will say that I love how we say penalties equate to poor prep by the coaches. No it's not.

We get penalized in high school games for illegal formations, delay of game, false starts, etc...

Do you think that we just don't address it? That's on the players being too lazy in their brains. That's not coaching. Even delay of game, play gets sent in with plenty of time and the QB or WR forgets what it was and stutters and mumbles it to the team and walk up to the line start motions late etc...we address it every week to have a sense of urgency with time.

I highly doubt the coaches don't address it because they should be fired right now. You can preach and preach and preach to not be lazy and to take ownership in what you do, but it's the kids choice to do it or not.

If you have WR's that stutter or forgot the names of the plays, why don't you just have them signaled in or numbered in with a wrist band so that the QB can call it out?

Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering, have you thought about signals or wristbands?

It sure is a funny coinky-dink how good coaches don't seem to get hamstrung with as many of those lazy-brained players as the bad coaches. Must just be bad luck for those poor bad coaches.

:facepalm:

If you have WR's that stutter or forgot the names of the plays, why don't you just have them signaled in or numbered in with a wrist band so that the QB can call it out?

Not trying to be a smartass, just wondering, have you thought about signals or wristbands?

I don't think it has anything to do with how we call plays. Our kids are plenty smart, they just need to pay attention better.

For the record, I'm not the head coach. I've always liked the thought of using wristbands and signals someday when I have my own program.

It sure is a funny coinky-dink how good coaches don't seem to get hamstrung with as many of those lazy-brained players as the bad coaches. Must just be bad luck for those poor bad coaches.

:facepalm:

You must not pay attention to college football. Baylor and Oregon (even under Chip) have been some of the most penalized teams in football the last few years. I guess Briles, Helfrich, and Kelly are terrible coaches.

Penalties happen. If you think it's a coaching issue you are a special kind of person. Gosh dangit. This post actually made me kind of mad. Good for you.

I don't think it has anything to do with how we call plays. Our kids are plenty smart, they just need to pay attention better.

For the record, I'm not the head coach. I've always liked the thought of using wristbands and signals someday when I have my own program.

Yeah, it is easier to do it that way, or so I have found.

Good luck with being a head coach someday!

• Fire 1

Well, in turn, you made me laugh, Power T, so let the cycle of emotions continue.

You're right. I will agree a lot of people live in this perfect isolated little world where any penalty is a direct reflection of the head coach's ability and discipline.

Riley has no control over Alex Smith knocking that kid on his butt after that pick. He can choose how to respond to it now-- he couldn't prevent it from happening.

He's got no control over kids getting hit with procedural penalties when they're trying to learn a new system. Gates got hit because his splits were too far back-- he hadn't been flagged for that before, so he thought it was fine. Cut him some slack. Ideally, the refs would let him know if he's lining up too far back. Nope, they didn't, and instead hit him with a flag. That procedural stuff will get cleaned up as the kids get more used to this system.

Simply put, sometimes stuff happens. Not every penalty boils down to a head coach's responsibility. Even IF they did, 3 games is a ludicrously tiny sample size to judge how discipline Riley's teams will be, insofar as penalties. You know what's NOT a small sample size? 7 YEARS. That's how long Bo's teams played with consistent penalty problems.

He's already been asked about it two weeks in a row, and said he's going to clean it up. He's aware of the problem and knows it needs fixed.

People gloss over how hard it is to get players to run new schemes with new formations they've never used flawlessly. It ain't that simple to just magically fix, folks.

Simply put, sometimes stuff happens. Not every penalty boils down to a head coach's responsibility. Even IF they did, 3 games is a ludicrously tiny sample size to judge how discipline Riley's teams will be, insofar as penalties. You know what's NOT a small sample size? 7 YEARS. That's how long Bo's teams played with consistent penalty problems.

He's already been asked about it two weeks in a row, and said he's going to clean it up. He's aware of the problem and knows it needs fixed.

You know what is an even BIGGER sample size? Riley's coaching career. Information about his penalty issues are in other threads.

You know what is an even BIGGER sample size? Riley's coaching career. Information about his penalty issues are in other threads.

This is one thing I totally agree with...I am not sure why anyone tries to convince themselves that these are the first 3 games of Riley's coaching career.

I used wristbands the last 4 years that I coached. It made things very efficient, generally, but you can't really send in an instruction/reminder with them.

Kinda sucks to holler out "Sell the fake, the right end is crashing hard!"

It loses a little something...

I used wristbands the last 4 years that I coached. It made things very efficient, generally, but you can't really send in an instruction/reminder with them.

Kinda sucks to holler out "Sell the fake, the right end is crashing hard!"

It loses a little something...

Ha! I know what you mean.