WTF

I would rather be 5-1 coming off a 40 point loss to wisconsin than 2-4.

made a thread on this very point earlier. Mods deleted it because it didn't fit their give Riley another chance narrative. Oh well peace out huskerboard. Huskermaxdotcom here I come!

Yeah, I can promise you that's not the case.

I was a big fan of the Riley hire, but am at a loss as to some of these coaching decisions. From abandoning the run, to horrible time management, to not even trying for a first down on that last drive to seal the deal, it's just rookie mistake after rookie mistake. It's inexplicable coming from a veteran coaching staff. I have no idea what they're thinking.

These are good points and there are additional similar issues in each of the games, wins and losses, where one just scratches your head and wonders why? Often the strategy questions are dismissed by the supporters of the status quo by simply suggesting "well, we don't see the players in practice and are sure the coaches know more about the kids' abilities and what will or wont' work!" this may be true but then again, maybe not. Sometimes, you have to wonder if the coaches really do know more than the fans!

Yes, with 1.20 left, why would we not try to get a first down. It seemed obvious the coaches were - apparently having learned their lesson from the week before when they failed to run out the clock wisely - just doing as everybody demanded. Of course, the problem is the circumstances were completely different. You needed a first down so you needed to either run wide with Tommy or something that gave you a good chance to get 7 yards or throw on 2nd down.

I would rather be 5-1 coming off a 40 point loss to wisconsin than 2-4.

No. No you wouldn't.
You can still be excited during the season with just 1 loss at this point and still be in contention for a B1G west berth. At this point I just hope the season is over faster than slower. We have nothing to play for. I'm going to MN next week because the trip was booked months ago but we are a lot more excited to go to the NFL game Sunday. Our games means jack sh#t

You are quite the fan. Congrats.

Was hoping to see some changes after the loss last week. All I saw was more of the same. You take out the big play by Jano and Moore and the stats are basically the same they were against Illinois. We all said this offense would not work in Big 10 play, and man oh man I think it's even worse than anyone could have possibly imagined. We simply aren't going to win games with Tommy going 10/31 and 11/28. We aren't going to win games with Banker calling a losing defense at the end of the game. Our defense is awful in the 4th quarter, that's not luck it's playcalling and coaching. We aren't going to win games with terrible clock management. Guys, the Oregon St. fans tried to warn us about how bad Riley is with clock management....here we are again. All we need is a first down. Get it and you win. Yet we decide to run it three straight times, including twice with Cross. Did anyone think Cross was actually going to pick up that first down? We are awful running up the middle, and we decide to go with that in the biggest drive of the game.

I had high hopes for Riley. I thought all this team needed was an experienced coaching staff and we would be able to cut down on our mental errors. Turns out our mental errors have only multiplied, and the experience meant nothing.

Putting Cross in for the last series was odd.

C'mon man, Mike Riley is a nice guy, he's like a little league coach, everyone gets to see the field, he wouldn't want one of his players to be upset now would he. I heard he already ordered some participation trophies to hand out to the guys at the end of the year. Maybe if we're lucky he'll get a big one for our trophy room, so all of us can be rewarded for participating this season too!

If Riley and his coaches had any decency, they should return every penny they got from the state of Nebraska and pack their bags and leave so someone who knows how to coach gets a chance. By the way, Riley should also take his friend Eichorst and our inept University President with him. Ever since Pearlman took over, our university has been in a free fall. We are no longer relevant in academics or athletics. Good job Perlman. You should be proud of that big check you get you loser.

• Fire 1

here is the awesome thing. IF Riley brings in a new staff next year, and that is a huge IF because these are more than Riley's coaches, these are his career long friends from Corvallis, but Nebraska wins another 5-7 games next year and the excuses will be..."well his new assistants need time to recruit and time to get gelled with players and Riley". That buys him another year of excuses.

here is the awesome thing. IF Riley brings in a new staff next year, and that is a huge IF because these are more than Riley's coaches, these are his career long friends from Corvallis, but Nebraska wins another 5-7 games next year and the excuses will be..."well his new assistants need time to recruit and time to get gelled with players and Riley". That buys him another year of excuses.

No new staff will be coming in next year.

No new staff will be coming in next year.

That is the sad thing. No adjustments will be made, this years debacle is a free pass.

I wish I could go to work for 14 weeks and completely fail and just use the excuse, "I'm still getting use to things".

Nothing but a bunch of couch coaches in here. Have any of you tried to lead a team in anything where you know no one and none of which you had influence on? It's hard as hell. I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, to write a coach out after 6 games with 0 players he recruited is foolish. This team was already broken before riley was coach and to expect BIG 10 title contention is ludicrous.

It's an uphill battle to acclimate to a new job and to expect riley to just come in and contend immediately is naive and wishful at best. I hoped for better as well, but I sincerely hope most of you on this board is reasonable enough to realize Riley is not Jesus and he can't turn an average to piss poor team into gold overnight.

Let's wait a year or 2 and see the players he brings in before we all sh#t our pants acting like it's the end of the world.

Nothing but a bunch of couch coaches in here. Have any of you tried to lead a team in anything where you know no one and none of which you had influence on? It's hard as hell. I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, to write a coach out after 6 games with 0 players he recruited is foolish. This team was already broken before riley was coach and to expect BIG 10 title contention is ludicrous.

It's an uphill battle to acclimate to a new job and to expect riley to just come in and contend immediately is naive and wishful at best. I hoped for better as well, but I sincerely hope most of you on this board is reasonable enough to realize Riley is not Jesus and he can't turn an average to piss poor team into gold overnight.

Let's wait a year or 2 and see the players he brings in before we all sh#t our pants acting like it's the end of the world.

There are plenty of coaches who have gone into a new program and won immediately, Florida is doing it as we speak.

Riley with his 40+ years of coaching experience, I expected him to be at least on the opposite end of this 2-4 record and be 4-2.

But it is redundant at this point.