Lol Michigan

Sargon

MSUs kicker is terrible this year. Even if the punter falls on that snap versus handing the ball off it would have been a 53 to 58 yard FG attempt.

MSU would have probably gone for the hail mary. They had no TOs left and the clock would have been down to at least 7 seconds after he fell on the snap.

If they run a play, and get stuffed its 51 yards to pay dirt with 3-4 seconds left on the clock.

That said, the Michigan punt game was lights out for 59:50 minutes of the game, too. So I guess you could take your pick between the D and special teams.

With a fluke like that, they could have just easily tried to run it and fumble the ball for a TD return too.

Not punting is not the worst play call there. The ball was on MSUs 47 with 10 seconds left. Is it correct that both teams were out of timeouts?

So, call a run play that might take 4-5 seconds off the clock. That leaves them 5-6 seconds to drive maybe 20 yards and get the field goal kicker on the field and kick it.

I'm guessing MSU couldn't do that.

I heard Neuheisel talk about the clock on radio. I was in traffic so not paying close attention but I think he suggested that the Michigan QB run around as long as possible and that their line should also hold MSU to keep them away longer. If MSU takes the holding penalty you get an extra down and they won't do that, so basically you can hold for free. It also seems to me that the QB should get out of the pocket and after a few seconds, throw the ball as high and far as he can out of bounds to kill the rest of the clock.

The thing about holding is that MSU would probably rush about everyone and someone would probably slip through pretty quickly so that might not work to kill the whole 10 seconds.

I think Tricky Ricky may have been talking about starting this earlier in the series so that they either wouldn't even get to 4th down or with so little time that they could easily end the game on the 4th down play, but I think the clock stops on the penalty and doesn't start until the snap if the defense declines it. He may have had a way around it but I wasn't able to follow it completely.

Probably nothing is foolproof to kill 10 seconds.

The problem with running any play is even if MSU has one second left they could throw it in the end zone from there and you never know what might happen if they get that chance. :hmmph

Even a terrible punt (10-15 yards) probably leaves them with only one play and having being 60+ yards away from the end zone where they probably can't throw the ball all the way in. So basically if they get the punt off, they win. Trying to do anything else leaves open the chance for MSU to throw it in the end zone on the last play. If there were 5 seconds or so left, you might try to run some play to run the clock out but 10 seconds is too much.

I heard Neuheisel talk about the clock on radio. I was in traffic so not paying close attention but I think he suggested that the Michigan QB run around as long as possible and that their line should also hold MSU to keep them away longer. If MSU takes the holding penalty you get an extra down and they won't do that, so basically you can hold for free. It also seems to me that the QB should get out of the pocket and after a few seconds, throw the ball as high and far as he can out of bounds to kill the rest of the clock.

The thing about holding is that MSU would probably rush about everyone and someone would probably slip through pretty quickly so that might not work to kill the whole 10 seconds.

I think Tricky Ricky may have been talking about starting this earlier in the series so that they either wouldn't even get to 4th down or with so little time that they could easily end the game on the 4th down play, but I think the clock stops on the penalty and doesn't start until the snap if the defense declines it. He may have had a way around it but I wasn't able to follow it completely.

That sounds like a very NU-Illinois thing to do...

How is that? I'm not talking about passing on 3rd down. I'm talking about 4th down, when change of possession stops the clock anyway so a pass can actually use more time than a run. Scrambling around, holding the defense to buy more time, and throwing a pass long, high and out on 4th down with 10 seconds sounds very little like a little scrambling and trying to dink one to your back on 3rd down with a minute to go.

I heard Neuheisel talk about the clock on radio. I was in traffic so not paying close attention but I think he suggested that the Michigan QB run around as long as possible and that their line should also hold MSU to keep them away longer.

I was thinking the same thing. Get your fastest guy behind shot gun, snap, let him run for 4-5 seconds and when a defender is within 10 yards heave the ball as high as possible out bounds which I assume will eat up the remaining time.

How is that? I'm not talking about passing on 3rd down. I'm talking about 4th down, when change of possession stops the clock anyway so a pass can actually use more time than a run. Scrambling around, holding the defense to buy more time, and throwing a pass long, high and out on 4th down with 10 seconds sounds very little like a little scrambling and trying to dink one to your back on 3rd down with a minute to go.

so, if the ball doesnt cross the line of scrimmage and intentional grounding is a loss of down penalty, does msu get a play from the spot of the foul?

I heard Neuheisel talk about the clock on radio. I was in traffic so not paying close attention but I think he suggested that the Michigan QB run around as long as possible and that their line should also hold MSU to keep them away longer.

I was thinking the same thing. Get your fastest guy behind shot gun, snap, let him run for 4-5 seconds and when a defender is within 10 yards heave the ball as high as possible out bounds which I assume will eat up the remaining time.

And risk a pick or intentional grounding call? Punting was the correct play call.

And risk a pick or intentional grounding call? Punting was the correct play call.

If the clock is down to zero, the game ends even with intentional grounding. Interception? Like I said, throw it way out of bounds. Punting has a greater risk IMO, because if it's blocked the ball is usually heading toward the other team's goal line and has a pretty good chance of being taken in for a TD. But the QB could screw up and lose the ball like the punter did or throw it badly. Like I said, there is no risk-free play.

Well I think I'm finally ready to talk about this. At least a little. But you can go back and forth questioning what they should've done differently, but really if literally anything else happened, we would have won. If a swarm of bats fell upon the field and ate every person there, we still would've won. It was a fluke play and it hurt(s) bad. Probably a good week for a bye for the players, but as a fan i just want a game to wash last week off of me.