JUCO S Markell Simmons [TCU - Signed LOI]

Mavric

They are more of a national brand right now, and they've been way more relevant in the last decade.

I'd say it's about a toss-up. Neither has won a conference title. They had a couple better years but have had more down years. They might get the tie-breaker with with Sugar Bowl win but that's about it.

They are more of a national brand right now, and they've been way more relevant in the last decade.

I'd say it's about a toss-up. Neither has won a conference title. They had a couple better years but have had more down years. They might get the tie-breaker with with Sugar Bowl win but that's about it.

Conference title or no, they still get tons of play from the media. Constant coverage on ESPN etc... Michigans coaching hire vaulted them instantly to the elite level in the eyes of the press and social media. This is what kids see, and what many kids want. Nebraska is rarely mentioned on national media, if they are it is rarely positive these days. Usually if we are talked about on ESPN it is after another loss and how far we've fallen. Not exactly the most enticing advertisement.

Conference title or no, they still get tons of play from the media. Constant coverage on ESPN etc... Michigans coaching hire vaulted them instantly to the elite level in the eyes of the press and social media. This is what kids see, and what many kids want. Nebraska is rarely mentioned on national media, if they are it is rarely positive these days. Usually if we are talked about on ESPN it is after another loss and how far we've fallen. Not exactly the most enticing advertisement.

Over the last year? Yes. Over the last decade? Michigan has been where we are this year quite a few times.

Over the last year? Yes. Over the last decade? Michigan has been where we are this year quite a few times.

True, but they are not anymore. We are still. They may end up with the #1 class. We are hoping to crack the top 25, hoping.....Michigan appears to have solved their problems, the last 10 years will be a distant memory and won't matter as soon as they win the big 10, and they appear to be much closer than we are. I. The eyes of recruits and the media they are already there.

This is the 3rd recruit we've lost in which cold weather was stated as a factor.

How many has Michigan lost due to that this year. Its f'ing freezing in Ann Arbor.

I agree. Cold weather doesn't seem to bother Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. They clearly have more local talent, but they shouldn't dominant us on the recruiting trail like they do.

Would also argue that those schools dominate the midwest and the northeast (where it's cold), leaving Nebraska to scrounge the Midwest and make California and the south our main priorities. Kids from the midwest and the northeast don't mind the cold. The kids we talk to in Florida/California/Arizona do.

• Fire 1

I was curious, so I did some research.

Michigan has 23 recruits committed.

15 of those 23 (65%) are Midwest/Northeast kids - I considered those states to be Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

Of the remaining 8 not from that region, only 2 are 4* or higher.

Ohio St. has 17 recruits committed.

13 of those 17 (76%) are from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Maryland.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has 15 recruits committed.

6 of those 15 (40%) are from Florida or California. If you want to include Missouri as "southern" (at least, not as cold) and coastal Washington, that total goes up to 9 of our 15 (60%).

We've been forced out of the top recruits in the Midwest, so we start fighting for kids on the coast. Naturally, our competition for those schools are the Pac-12 and SEC schools, who have no inclination to hold back on blasting us for the cold.

• Fire 5

Yes but Michigan has also won a Sugar Bowl and was rated in the top 5 to start a few seasons. They've had downs as well, but they still were relevant the entire time. Plus hiring Jim Harbaugh helps.

This is the 3rd recruit we've lost in which cold weather was stated as a factor.

How many has Michigan lost due to that this year. Its f'ing freezing in Ann Arbor.

I agree. Cold weather doesn't seem to bother Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame. They clearly have more local talent, but they shouldn't dominant us on the recruiting trail like they do.
Thats the point im making. It can become a problem if the coaches recruiting let it. Use it as a positive. About half the nfl teams play in cold weather cities(not counting domed teams). Hey man. You wanna play in the nfl? Just as well get used to it now. Btw, we really only had 1 game in actual cold weather this year. And recent past years have been the same. Real cold weather doesnt set in until end of November. Either way, there are cold weather teams doing fine in recruiting. It cant be used as an excuse. Gotta be better recruiters than that.

15 of those 23 (65%) are Midwest/Northeast kids - I considered those states to be Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

6 of those 15 (40%) are from Florida or California. If you want to include Missouri as "southern" (at least, not as cold) and coastal Washington, that total goes up to 9 of our 15 (60%).

We've been forced out of the top recruits in the Midwest, so we start fighting for kids on the coast. Naturally, our competition for those schools are the Pac-12 and SEC schools, who have no inclination to hold back on blasting us for the cold.

Good information.

Good information.

Indeed

Bray can't recruit everyone. The other coaches need to pull their own weight.

Since you brought it up, what the hell ae Davis and Stewart doing out there? Anything?

Davis? Why would he recruit a safety if he's a RB coach? Already landed 4 star RB

I would hope he'd be willing to contribute more to the class then one player.

And I wasn't meaning to call out them specifically, those were just the first two coaches that came to mind. We don't seem to hear much out of them on the recruiting trail.

Nice work. Seems to be another study that supports the 500-mile radius argument. I'm not saying we can get by without the sunbelt kids, we need them, too. But we definitely need to have better returns on the SD, CO, KS, MO, OK, IA, MN, IL kids. (and NE). I think this staff is starting to understand that, but the proof is in the pudding.

If we have to scramble at the end for some players already committed to other schools, I hope they are from our competitors in the region. Its still not too late to get Fant back.

Nice work. Seems to be another study that supports the 500-mile radius argument. I'm not saying we can get by without the sunbelt kids, we need them, too. But we definitely need to have better returns on the SD, CO, KS, MO, OK, IA, MN, IL kids. (and NE). I think this staff is starting to understand that, but the proof is in the pudding.

If we have to scramble at the end for some players already committed to other schools, I hope they are from our competitors in the region. Its still not too late to get Fant back.

I was pretty surprised by what I found when I started doing the research, to be honest. For all of our concern about the 500-mile radius, the lack of talent we pull from Illinois and Indiana (I know, Indiana is ~50-100 miles over the 500 mile limit) is a little frustrating. The problem is that the schools we mentioned (Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St.) are all within that 500 mile range themselves in those states, so they have a better "close-to-home" pitch than we do.