If Nebraska makes staff changes on D and ST, will you feel better about 2016?

If Riley brings in a new ST coach or just scraps that idea all together and brings in a new D Coordinator/Secondary/Dline coach will you feel better about 2016?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we made staff changes it would just be more uncertainty. For me anyway. I'm not opposed to the idea. I'm just saying that it'd be an unknown quantity until about this time next year.

=====================

On an unrelated note: Every time I'm reading your username, seaofred, I silently pronounce it Sea_'O_Fred. I can't help it. :lol:

Let's go back in time and hire Narduzzi and Herman to coordinate for, hmm, Joe Moglia? Hiring a guy means allowing him to hire his own staff. Forcing that guy to fire anyone after just a season is, at the very least, not supporting him. I understand that's not a problem for some of my fellow Husker fans of late but I think it bears mentioning. If you're closing the book on Riley already, I'd think you'd at least want to give the impression to the next hire that you wouldn't meddle in his affairs so heavily so soon... You could argue that Nebraska has been in a tailspin since 62-36 or whatever but things can always get worse.

• Fire 2

Hughes is the only one on defense besides Bray not contributing to the problem on the field. Given that, Hughes is a terrible recruiter so if we find someone who can

do both, I'm down. Personally, I'd just promote Bray to DC and keep him with the linebackers because soon somebody is going to do the same. Hire an aggressive DB coach who emphasizes proper technique and violent use of the hands to jam receivers. One thing from Riley I liked was the idea of hiring a coach on the defensive line who stops the run first. But he needs to be a voice on and off the field with a fiery knack for bringing in talent, specially pass rushers. Whom besides Alex Davis (untested) and Freedom, we don't have at the plenty and aren't currently in on recruiting wise.

Stewart = Not giving our guys the tools to succeed. Still have bad technique, hands, and feet.

Banker = Doesn't realize we don't have the stellar defensive backs to play his ultra aggressive system. Which if you've ever watched the linebackers and blitzing schemes as a whole, make it too easy for the QB to read and check to a different play.

Read = Waste of a spot for many reasons. Fire him first and assign a new hire to a position of which that needs the most help.

I dont see Riley firing his friends as he has been with them forever and he hasnt made changes yet, even when they didn't do well at oregon state. And not a knock on Riley's "nice guy" persona, but he is a nice guy and knows these coaches uprooted their lives from Corvallis to move to Lincoln...If Riley has enough time, he will keep his coaches for another year.

If he doesn, I'd love to see him go after Frost as OC and simply say he's coach in waiting. That would make me feel a lot better about things. Hell, if Frost is named head coach in waiting, I would be all for Riley being here 4-5 years.

• Fire 3

I dont see Riley firing his friends as he has been with them forever and he hasnt made changes yet, even when they didn't do well at oregon state. And not a knock on Riley's "nice guy" persona, but he is a nice guy and knows these coaches uprooted their lives from Corvallis to move to Lincoln...If Riley has enough time, he will keep his coaches for another year.

If he doesn, I'd love to see him go after Frost as OC and simply say he's coach in waiting. That would make me feel a lot better about things. Hell, if Frost is named head coach in waiting, I would be all for Riley being here 4-5 years.

Have we ever seen a "coach-in-waiting" work? Muschamp left Texas before he got the job there. Osborne told Solich that he would get the job after he retired, and TO retired at the peak of his career in order to keep his word. I guess when Devaney said he was retiring in 1972 and named Osborne his successor, that was a "coach in waiting" situation, but that was only 1 year.

Have there been other "coach-in-waiting" situations that have been made public and have worked out?

If Riley brings in new people, are they guaranteed to be substantially better than those there have now?

Last year, I heard from many that "any coach is better than Pelini!". So Nebraska has a new coach. Now I hear, "Anyone could do better than Riley!" and "Even Cosgrove was better than Banker!"

Better just stand pat with what the Cornhuskers have for coaches this year and let them know that the team we see now on (and off) the field is not acceptable long term product.

The chances Riley fires anyone after the season are slim to none; so unlikely, in fact, that this really isn't worth discussing. Wholesale changes after year one with guys he's known for years? I don't see it.

And even if he did, no, I wouldn't feel that much better. Making a ST change is one thing and I would feel marginally better because you can make some significant improvements quickly. But, defensive changes could be a bigger toss-up. I'd rather see what a Banker defense can do in year 2 than give someone else a shot.

And look what you're risking - it's not like you're going to get some seasoned, well-tenured defensive mind. You'll probably ended up taking a gamble on a young defensive coach, and how often do you want to keep rotating doors there?

• Fire 1

I will support what Riley believes is right for going into the next year. I'm not going to judge defensive coaches based on their first year here when I have no idea what players have bought into their system and staff.

Now, I would be extremely frustrated if Langsdorf, or really any offensive coaches were let go after this year. I like the direction the offense is going and am excited to see it develop with getting the players they want to run it. I believe getting the right QB for the system is key. I also believe our current QB commit could very well be that guy. He is showing great promise in HS and I think Langsdorf is the right kind of QB coach for that type of system. Being upset at Langsdorf for not developing TA into a great passer is the same as if you would be upset at Turner Gill if he couldn't turn Peyton Manning into a great option QB.

I didn't vote because I didn't think either answer pertained to me. The two options are:

1. The proposed staff changes make me feel better about 2016.

2. No- even with the staff changes, I don't feel good about 2016.

For me, I am disappointed about this year, but am optimistic for 2016, with or (almost certainly) without staff changes.

• Fire 1