AD Shawn Eichorst issues a statement

Saunders

I don't trust a word out of his mouth. The conditions under which he was hired were very suspicious. Perlman pushing TO aside and handpicking a guy for way over market-rate was questionable. Then you get his post-2013 season statement, he had to be either clueless or full of crap. Turned-out he just wasn't ready to fire Bo without regent support at the time, so he was full of crap. Now he's shown that when he has HIS coach he wants to protect there is no policy against midseason statements. Dude is a politician.

• Fire 2

Ya, I don't get it. Rebuild?? Why the hell are we rebuilding? There was plenty of talent here to win 7-10 games this year

exactly. By no means do I want Bo back, he needs to stay tf away from Nebraska, but let's be honest, he would have without a doubt went 10-4 or 9-4 with this team again. It's just what he did.

And as you rightly point out, it's that 9-4 that prompted the change. By firing Bo, the university took a shot that things may not immediately be better than they were. I don't think many expected this, but, it was theoretically possible.

One thing I've said for a long time now, mostly this season, is that this program really has 15 years of inadequacies they're trying to fix. We've had poor line play, turnover problems, winning big game problems, recruiting problems... a lot of issues that have been bandaged - not corrected. Other coaches probably could've maintained what we were doing, and possibly, even have done better.

But, I feel like us immediately improving was a long shot to begin with. Many felt otherwise given Riley's experience. I think we decided to go a route that's going to take time. Will Riley be given several years to bring it the level people want? I don't know. His job is safe for at least this year. However, anything less than 7-8 wins next year and I don't think MR will be the head coach at Nebraska anymore. By connection, SE will be gone, too.

Okay Shawn, say we play along and be okay with everything, why will Riley win championships here when he hasn't won any sort in 30 some years of coaching?

Also this wasn't a rebuilding job until Riley got his hands on it.

P.S. Mr. Eichorst - You are not smart.

• Fire 2

Guys who are talking about a rebuild, please stop.

Riley and his staff have lost at least three games single-handedly due to very basic clock/game management. Three! This coaching staff does not need four years to learn how to rotate offensive linemen, play the best running back, lean on the run in poor weather or against bad rush defenses, run out the clock, call timeouts when there is confusion heading into a game-changing play, etc.

These guys are goddamn clowns. Nice guys, fine. But a collection of washed up jokers. Bray and maybe the WR coach are the only two who are worth sh#t. Riley, Banker, and Langsdorf are stubborn mules.

• Fire 7

I would advise most people to relax. Eichorst has given two statements this season and both have been done from a position of weakness. He is feeling the heat from his constituents. The board will have to fire both the AD and place someone in there on an interim basis who's sole purpose would be to let Riley go. A 3-9 or 4-8 record is pretty idiotic to defend and I don't see that playing well to Eichorst' bosses. In his closing statement, he asks the fans to cheer on against Michigan State. I've been told that the game this Saturday carries more weight than most will come to realize.

The only change that could occur in my opinion is an AD change. SE will not fire Riley this year. If the AD is fired, an interim AD will not fire Riley. Firing an AD and coach would be program suicide for recruiting.

And this statement will do nothing for those already on the hate Eichorst campaign.

For us "normal" fans. It is nice to see, and appreciated.

Ah, the real fan argument. Always a winner.

Couldn't agree with you more there. I get tired of those people who think they are better than the rest because they are OK with our team being the bottom of the worst division. These are the real classy people unlike us horrible fans. I am sorry but the statement by Eichorst is nothing but a pathetic excuse to save future sellout sand his job. Build the program brick by brick...Really, spare me the bullcrap. Riley inherited a 9 win team and turned into a three win team. Just call a spade a spade. I would have more respect for that arrogant AD if he actually manned up and admitted he made a HORRIBLE mistake.

• Fire 1

Also...why wasn't this a "rebuilding" job back in December?

"I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships." November 30, 2014.[/size]

I wish our journalist would show Eichorst this quote from 2014 and ask him why he is suddenly contradicting himself. Unfortunately, we do not have any journalists in Nebraska with REAL MAN BALLS to do this.

• Fire 1

Oh let's not kid ourselves about it being a rebuilding project. It absolutely is a rebuilding project. That doesn't excuse the results, and I'm not happy with the coaches and Eichorst, but you have to look pass the wins and loss column.

Bo left a team that was so fundamentally bad it wasn't funny. Tackling, sustaining blocks and penalties were a nightmare over the last 3 years. Let's not forget how bad our S&C had gotten across the board. They weren't prepared at the most basic level to play football.

He also poisoned the well when he left town. There are a number of players on this team that haven't bought into the new program. Riley shares some of the blame for this. He needs to take those players off the field, and yes some of them are playing. Charlie Strong has had to go through similar issues at UT. Either get on the bus or stay at the station. We have other people who want to ride.

Recruiting was also less than stellar and will require hard work to be built back up. It wasn't a total breakdown as there is some talent here, certainly better than the numbers show. But it hasn't been great either.

Now this staff has made enough mistakes this season to warrant some heat. But this was absolutely a rebuild. This team was no where near competing for any kind of trophies before Riley & co. stepped in.

There is ABSOLUTELY no world where winning 70% of your games is a rebuild.

• Fire 1

I would advise most people to relax. Eichorst has given two statements this season and both have been done from a position of weakness. He is feeling the heat from his constituents. The board will have to fire both the AD and place someone in there on an interim basis who's sole purpose would be to let Riley go. A 3-9 or 4-8 record is pretty idiotic to defend and I don't see that playing well to Eichorst' bosses. In his closing statement, he asks the fans to cheer on against Michigan State. I've been told that the game this Saturday carries more weight than most will come to realize.

The only change that could occur in my opinion is an AD change. SE will not fire Riley this year. If the AD is fired, an interim AD will not fire Riley. Firing an AD and coach would be program suicide for recruiting.

Mike Riley is recruiting suicide.

We would not lose very much this recruiting class if our recruits decided to up and leave....and I doubt many, besides maybe POB that are coming to Nebraska because of the coaching staff.

Glad to see the AD standing by his man, but it is going to be tough to rebuild without recruits. Who in their right mind would want to sign for a team that can't beat the worst team in the Big 10. Its going to be a long four years until Riley is gone and we can really start to rebuild our once great program.

Glad to see the AD standing by his man, but it is going to be tough to rebuild without recruits. Who in their right mind would want to sign for a team that can't beat the worst team in the Big 10. Its going to be a long four years until Riley is gone and we can really start to rebuild our once great program.

The Board of Regents has to see through that. It's all the more reason why this needs to end sooner rather than later.