Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

In the midst of the school’s worst start to a football season in more than half a century, UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman expressed confidence Wednesday that coach Mike Riley will return the Huskers to national prominence.

Perlman also expressed support for Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst, who last year fired Bo Pelini and hired Riley. Perlman confirmed he is currently working on a contract extension for Eichorst.
Perlman invoked the name of legendary coach Tom Osborne, the architect of the Huskers’ 1990s glory years, when describing why Riley is the right man for the job.
“Tom Osborne was a great coach, and what made him a great coach was his ability to recognize talent others didn’t and coach it up,” Perlman said in an exclusive interview with The World-Herald. “Everyone in college football will tell you those are qualities Mike Riley has in abundance.
“I’m confident Mike Riley will bring us back to national prominence, but it’s not going to happen overnight.”

OWH

• Fire 2

This guy has no business commenting on a football coach of any kind regardless of level. Pee wee, elementary school, middle school, high school let a lone a division 1 football coach. He has no f*cking clue.

After Eichorst's statement and now this clowns Nebraska football is 100% officially a freaking f*cking circus....

If you sit and think about it currently the keys to Nebraska football are truly owned by Sean Eichorst and Harvey Pearlman and neither of these men have not a f'ing clue on how to maintain a top notch football program.

Wow...

2016 cannot come fast enough.

• Fire 2

I love the phrase Regent Hal Daub used though, that he's "Patiently unhappy." The regents not exactly invoking confidence, and Hank Bounds not commenting I think is very telling.

Also just looking back at the hiring of Eichorst, I came across a couple articles

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Harvey-Perlman-talks-about-hiring-Shawn-Eichorst-at-Nebraska-94210

"His response was, 'If the coaches and the student athletes have been successful, then nobody knows my name, it would be a success,'" Perlman said. "The athletic department is all about the success of coaches and student athletes."

Considering Eichorst is talked about just as much as Riley has been lately, I would consider his performance, "Not a success" judging by his own standards. Yet, Perlman who's a lameduck chancellor is suddenly going to hand this guy a contract extension?

And then there's this one http://www.cornnation.com/2012/10/4/3456448/notes-from-harvey-perlmans-press-conference-on-the-hiring-of-shawn

Perlman only interviewed two candidates for the position, as Eichorst was one of them.

While Perlman did not disclose the other candidate, it was made clear to the press that there were no internal candidates interviewed for the position. This means that Jamie Williams, hired specifically by Osborne in June to seemingly be the AD in waiting after his run at the Academy of Art Institute in San Francisco. Paul Meyers, a important fund raiser to Nebraska Athletics, also did not receive an interview.

I know people are well aware, but this is just further proof how much of a snake Perlman is. Not even interviewing an internal candidate? You don't even have to hire them, just do a courtesy interview. Man I can't wait till he's gone in 2016

• Fire 3

AD's coming out to show their coaches support mid-season is known as the "kiss of death" does it have the same meaning for AD's bosses who come out mid season to support them?

I can only hope you are right. MR is 62 comparing him to TO is laughable. So we only have to wait 19 and a half years when MR is 81? We all remember when TO went 3-6 his first year right? Oh wait nvm...