Nebraska AD invites Steve Spurrier to attend the MSU vs. NEB, he accepts.

Dansker

Before any rumors get out of hand regarding replacing Riley or "consulting" Riley/Eichorst, there is nothing going on. Eichorst and Spurrier are friends from their days at South Carolina. Eichorst invited him in for the weekend to be his guest and watch some football together. They may talk some football while Spurrier is here, but there isn't anything "suspicious" going on.

Just a little odd to me: the timing of this 'visit' is nothing short of terrible if you are Mike Riley (unless he and Mike Riley and Spurrier are good buddies and he is here to offer his support and positive commentary). I would think the rumors would be running wild that Spurrier is here to replace Riley. Why even let something like this get started. An explanation is certainly in order by the AD.

Eichorst was at South Carolina as an Assistant AD when Spurrier was hired there. They have a relationship. They are probably friends. Spurrier is probably in town to watch a football game. Nothing more than that.

This.

Why does every single move SE makes have to have a nefarious plot to it? Sometimes the ole ball coach, is just the ole ball coach, wanting to watch some football with an old friend.

Before any rumors get out of hand regarding replacing Riley or "consulting" Riley/Eichorst, there is nothing going on. Eichorst and Spurrier are friends from their days at South Carolina. Eichorst invited him in for the weekend to be his guest and watch some football together. They may talk some football while Spurrier is here, but there isn't anything "suspicious" going on.

I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just from what I've heard that yes he will be at the game, he was invited by Eichorst and he may provide "input" regarding our football program. He's retired and won't be coming out of it any time soon, IMO but still really cool after all these years to have him as our guest.

• Fire 1

The timing is weird but my guess is this was probably in the works a few weeks ago before shitwhit the fan here. Spurrier is 70 and has zero interest in coaching college anymore. A friend of mine is a big SC booster and said the talent drop off in recent years was due mainly to the fact that Steve no longer did much recruiting at all. It was all his assistants. When he was getting Clowney and Lattimore type players he was still sitting in their living rooms with them and that hasnt been the case in recent years. His just watching a game this weekend. Nothing more

Who cares if he does some consulting while here. All programs do this to an extant during the offseason. Even T.O had other coaches come and give input and consult on things. I think it is pretty neat to have a coach like Spurrier come here to visit and watch a game.

• Fire 1

I'm gonna give Eichorst some credit for this. It's a big recruiting weekend, a lot of recruits taking in the atmosphere and campus. It can only help sell potential players to see TOBC taking in the game because it "is something he's always wanted to do". Spurrier has been to countless stadiums in the USA, but never Lincoln. He is a big time coach, that players recognize, and it will only help sell the uniqueness of NU football.

I think Eichorst invited his friend to a game, but also realized the cache it might have with visitors.