Illinois up 41-7.....

huskerfan92

I've been watching this entire game.

The stats from this game will tell you exactly where Nebraska is as a program.

I said it last week after the game, and I will say it again here...there was ZERO excuse for Nebraska to give up 55 points and the amount of yards that it did to that Purdue team.

You're right Duke, Illinois must have a really good defense to hold Purdue under 1/2 a hundred

Meanwhile NC continues to kill it. They have Warren in the secondary and Papuchis on LB's. They brought in Chizik to run the defense. Get out the F'ing checkbook and that could have been our F'ing defense. That we let NC just gank Warren away is pathetic.

I don' think Duke recovered from the 8-lateral fiasco. Nor do I think the Huskers recover from the 55 point fiasco. At least when the previous coach, who shall remain nameless, gave up 55 points, it wasn't to one of the worst teams in the country. Sorry, had to be done, no it didn't, but I did anyway.

• Fire 1

Not a fan of the transitive property game for football. However, the game plan against Purdue has been clear (run the ball) all season long as it has been to beat Nebraska (throw the ball). Effort was a major reason the Huskers lost to Purdue; however, the game plan was doomed to fail from the jump. If you are a player preparing for a game in the ninth week knowing the issues you have been having all season and thinking this game plan is not going to be successful, how dialed in can you keep yourself?

• Fire 1

I know this is a who cares topic, but we beat it death for the last week

Illinois is at Purdue and beating them like a drum 41-7 with about 11:44 to go in the fourth quarter.

Illinois rushing stats: 31 carries 324 yards, 10.5 per carry. Even the announcer commented that Illinois just keeps running the power stuff at them.

they didn't have a red-shirt freshman QB they could put in and ask him to throw it 50 times?

Obviously the Illinois coaching staff is much more talented and much smarter than the clowns running the show at Nebraska. That was also obvious by the fact that Illinois beat us. Mike Riley and company have no idea what it takes to coach a football team. After 40+ years of experience, they continue to be a below average coaching staff and that is not going to change. In fact, you can hand these clowns the New England Patriots and they will turn them into a losing franchise. It is not about the talent on the team. It is all about the mediocre coaching we have. Anyone who thinks differently is as delusional as Eichorst who thought that Mike Riley can turn things around.

I know this is a who cares topic, but we beat it death for the last week

Illinois is at Purdue and beating them like a drum 41-7 with about 11:44 to go in the fourth quarter.

Illinois rushing stats: 31 carries 324 yards, 10.5 per carry. Even the announcer commented that Illinois just keeps running the power stuff at them.

they didn't have a red-shirt freshman QB they could put in and ask him to throw it 50 times?

Obviously the Illinois coaching staff is much more talented and much smarter than the clowns running the show at Nebraska. That was also obvious by the fact that Illinois beat us. Mike Riley and company have no idea what it takes to coach a football team. After 40+ years of experience, they continue to be a below average coaching staff and that is not going to change. In fact, you can hand these clowns the New England Patriots and they will turn them into a losing franchise. It is not about the talent on the team. It is all about the mediocre coaching we have. Anyone who thinks differently is as delusional as Eichorst who thought that Mike Riley can turn things around.

Along with your thoughts, it's really pretty simple. Watch film on your opponent, find their weaknesses, game plan to those weaknesses. I think last week was almost a Riley was going to show us who was in charge and it is my offense so get used to it. Kind of the same thing he did on that windy afternoon in Champaign, Illinois last month. His system appears to be more important than wins

Just one week after NU lost big on the road at Purdue, Illinois walked into West Lafayette and shows how its done. The Illini amassed 382 yards rushing against one of the worst rushing defenses in the nation, yet somehow NU wasn't able to run the ball.

While I agree that we may have seen a drop off in talent from the prior year, seeing Purdue play NU and Illinois in back to back weeks shows just how poorly our offensive approach is, and how much of an impact the lack of desire to run the ball (by this coaching staff) is having our our wins/losses.

NU could have walked away with an easy win if Fyfe is asked to manage the game and let the rushing attack beat Purdue. Illinois does not have superior rushing talent compared to NU.

Just one week after NU lost big on the road at Purdue, Illinois walked into West Lafayette and shows how its done. The Illini amassed 382 yards rushing against one of the worst rushing defenses in the nation, yet somehow NU wasn't able to run the ball.

While I agree that we may have seen a drop off in talent from the prior year, seeing Purdue play NU and Illinois in back to back weeks shows just how poorly our offensive approach is, and how much of an impact the lack of desire to run the ball (by this coaching staff) is having our our wins/losses.

NU could have walked away with an easy win if Fyfe is asked to manage the game and let the rushing attack beat Purdue. Illinois does not have superior rushing talent compared to NU.

My bad...just saw another thread on this topic if someone wants to merge/add this to the othe thread.

Stat Comparison of Nebraska & Illinois vs Purdue:

Rushing Offense (Attempts-Yards):

Nebraska 29 - 77yds

Illinois 41 - 382yds

Passing Offense (Total Passing Yards, Completions-Attempts):

Nebraska 407, 29-48

Illinois 213, 21-38

Turnovers:

Nebraska 5 (1 lost fumble, 4 INT)

Illinois 0

Rushing Defense (Total Rushing Yards Allowed):

Nebraska 183yds (4.9 yds per rush)

Illinois 89 yds (3.2 yds per rush)

Passing Defense (Total Passing Yards Allowed):

Nebraska 274yds (6.4 yds per pass)

Illinois 174ds (4.3 yds per pass)

Defense Total Yards Allowed:

Nebraska 457yds

Illinois 263 yds

• Fire 1

Purdue's run defense was and probably still is last in the conference in rush defense. Mind-boggling (but not surprising) that our game plan wasn't adjusted to reflect that.

I guess that's what we said for a week now, It appears Illinois knew this going in, watched the film, exploited it and will win easily.

Is the lack of a running game for Nebraska a matter of "can't" or "won't"

Against Purdue, we only averaged 2.7 yards on 29 attempts. Tough to beat anyone with those stats and they were daring us to throw the ball. The results in throwing it was much better percentage wise....8.5 yards per ATTEMPT on 48 throws. Had we not turned the ball over 5 times, the results would have been different (DUH). When the box is stacked against the run, its on the game planning to find the soft spots going in or in making half-time adjustments. It also helps when your QB isn't throwing into double coverage.

So, to answer the question directly, I don't think we 'can' because we lack a running game.