Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

In a time like this, I will gladly have Riley as our coach.

Exactly!!!

Why? Because he has experience dealing with rape allegations at Oregon State?

You mean the situation where the victim actually ended up having a close enough relationship with Riley that she is part of his sexual assault education to his teams?

I am confused...how come no one is blaming Coach Pelini yet?

Personal plea. Put away the Husker Fandom garbage if you are going to post on this issue. Leave the Pelini/Riley, fire/not fire, shoulda-woulda-coulda stuff for other threads. Not this one. A young woman has reported being sexually assaulted and the legal system will sort this out. It is morally reprehensible to criticize the woman for the report or insinuate that she is a liar. Yes it does happen from time to time, but numerous studies show that most women do not report their attacks due to fear of such criticism. It is incredibly sad that so many young women have to deal with this issue on college campuses, and I am deeply troubled that it happened at an institution I called home.

• Fire 8

This is the problem. Already, many people who see/read this story will assume it to be true even if no one is charged. It's one of the faults with reporting information before it's been hashed out in the legal process. Drawing comparison to the Patrick Kane rape accusation, many people believe or at least suspect he did it, when the case against him as in fact been dropped. I deeply appreciate the media and their job, but, it is a dilemma. If TA doesn't talk to police, that's likely reported as TA and Co. refusing to answer questions. Legal, but to those on the outside, suspicious. If he does answer questions, the court of public opinion thinks he's probably innocent. I have no idea if he had intent other than to just cooperate.

It's a pretty easy dilemma for the press to fix: Simply don't report the names of ANYONE involved, not the alleged victim, the alleged rapist/assaulter, the location, nothing. There is nothing altruistic about the press' reporting of rape. They do it, and attach the males' name to the allegation, because it provides them with revenue.We've gotten to the point where the press, collectively, has agreed not to provide the names of victims. That's a good thing, and laudable. But they need to go the next step and not report anyone's names, exactly for the reasons you've said. Patrick Kane, the Duke case, now Tommy Armstrong & Jordan Westerkamp - these names are all attached to a heinous word now, "rape." And that's completely unfair to, for certain, Kane and the Duke players. If it turns out there was no assault here, and Armstrong & Westerkamp are completely innocent, great. But their names are the ones attached to this now.It's a double-standard and it's crap, and it should stop.

Yep.

Forever google will hold Armstrong and westerkamps name to that awful word, and as far as anyone knows they had nothing to do with it.

I'd sue the media for defamation.

This is the problem. Already, many people who see/read this story will assume it to be true even if no one is charged. It's one of the faults with reporting information before it's been hashed out in the legal process. Drawing comparison to the Patrick Kane rape accusation, many people believe or at least suspect he did it, when the case against him as in fact been dropped. I deeply appreciate the media and their job, but, it is a dilemma.

If TA doesn't talk to police, that's likely reported as TA and Co. refusing to answer questions. Legal, but to those on the outside, suspicious. If he does answer questions, the court of public opinion thinks he's probably innocent.

I have no idea if he had intent other than to just cooperate.

It's a pretty easy dilemma for the press to fix: Simply don't report the names of ANYONE involved, not the alleged victim, the alleged rapist/assaulter, the location, nothing. There is nothing altruistic about the press' reporting of rape. They do it, and attach the males' name to the allegation, because it provides them with revenue.

We've gotten to the point where the press, collectively, has agreed not to provide the names of victims. That's a good thing, and laudable. But they need to go the next step and not report anyone's names, exactly for the reasons you've said. Patrick Kane, the Duke case, now Tommy Armstrong & Jordan Westerkamp - these names are all attached to a heinous word now, "rape." And that's completely unfair to, for certain, Kane and the Duke players. If it turns out there was no assault here, and Armstrong & Westerkamp are completely innocent, great. But their names are the ones attached to this now.

It's a double-standard and it's crap, and it should stop.

Completely agree and have thought this for many years.

Keep ALL names out of the press until something is proven.

• Fire 1

This is the problem. Already, many people who see/read this story will assume it to be true even if no one is charged. It's one of the faults with reporting information before it's been hashed out in the legal process. Drawing comparison to the Patrick Kane rape accusation, many people believe or at least suspect he did it, when the case against him as in fact been dropped. I deeply appreciate the media and their job, but, it is a dilemma.

If TA doesn't talk to police, that's likely reported as TA and Co. refusing to answer questions. Legal, but to those on the outside, suspicious. If he does answer questions, the court of public opinion thinks he's probably innocent.

I have no idea if he had intent other than to just cooperate.

It's a pretty easy dilemma for the press to fix: Simply don't report the names of ANYONE involved, not the alleged victim, the alleged rapist/assaulter, the location, nothing. There is nothing altruistic about the press' reporting of rape. They do it, and attach the males' name to the allegation, because it provides them with revenue.

We've gotten to the point where the press, collectively, has agreed not to provide the names of victims. That's a good thing, and laudable. But they need to go the next step and not report anyone's names, exactly for the reasons you've said. Patrick Kane, the Duke case, now Tommy Armstrong & Jordan Westerkamp - these names are all attached to a heinous word now, "rape." And that's completely unfair to, for certain, Kane and the Duke players. If it turns out there was no assault here, and Armstrong & Westerkamp are completely innocent, great. But their names are the ones attached to this now.

It's a double-standard and it's crap, and it should stop.

Completely agree and have thought this for many years.

Keep ALL names out of the press until something is proven.

But that doesn't give tv ratings and website clicks.

The media is heartless.

Personal plea. Put away the Husker Fandom garbage if you are going to post on this issue. Leave the Pelini/Riley, fire/not fire, shoulda-woulda-coulda stuff for other threads. Not this one. A young woman has reported being sexually assaulted and the legal system will sort this out. It is morally reprehensible to criticize the woman for the report or insinuate that she is a liar. Yes it does happen from time to time, but numerous studies show that most women do not report their attacks due to fear of such criticism. It is incredibly sad that so many young women have to deal with this issue on college campuses, and I am deeply troubled that it happened at an institution I called home.

Sure thing...

Sure thing...

Coming from a guy whose name is Husker NoNo...