Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

Have we lost our way here? A girl was potentially raped and we are worried about Armstrong and Westercamp? Something is very wrong here!

In the context of this being a football forum, that Armstrong & Westerkamp's names were brought up is probably the most germane thing to talk about.

Certainly everyone is concerned for the woman, that goes without saying.

• Fire 1

Actually, at this point in time, I am sort of glad he said something to the media.

If he hadn't said anything and it came out that the alleged rape happened at his house and he simply said..."no comment". WOW...what a sh#t storm that would have caused. This way, by his comments, it is fairly clear he and his two room mates may not be involved.

Fairly clear? Is that like fuzzy or blurred? And nothing is "fairly clear." All we know is what Armstrong said.

Actually, at this point in time, I am sort of glad he said something to the media.

If he hadn't said anything and it came out that the alleged rape happened at his house and he simply said..."no comment". WOW...what a sh#t storm that would have caused. This way, by his comments, it is fairly clear he and his two room mates may not be involved.

Fairly clear? Is that like fuzzy or blurred? And nothing is "fairly clear." All we know is what Armstrong said.

Ummm....

No need to try to read more into my post than what I said.

It has been said a number of times in this thread that it appears they aren't involved. Now, that may change. But, at this point, that's what it sounds like.

Agreed. The other option is take the Patrick Kane route, lawyer up, say nothing and even when the charges are dropped no one believes you are innocent.

IMHO, in this particular instance, it is the wrong call to post a story like this. We don't even know if a football player was involved, and regardless of whether they were/weren't, I agree with the sentiment that this story should not be reported until more facts are presented.

Have any of you seen what some people are saying online about this? It's exactly the reason victims don't want to come forward - this alleged victim is being called horrible things on top of people accusing the players of not doing anything to prevent sexual assault.

I'm just struggling to see the value and what's being gained from reporting this story right now. The negatives outweigh the information that this point, in my opinion.

• Fire 1

IMHO, in this particular instance, it is the wrong call to post a story like this. We don't even know if a football player was involved, and regardless of whether they were/weren't, I agree with the sentiment that this story should not be reported until more facts are presented.

Have any of you seen what some people are saying online about this? It's exactly the reason victims don't want to come forward - this alleged victim is being called horrible things on top of people accusing the players of not doing anything to prevent sexual assault.

I'm just struggling to see the value and what's being gained from reporting this story right now. The negatives outweigh the information that this point, in my opinion.

+1. Absolutely correct. Just feeding the news cycle nothing more. Everything that has been released is pure speculation and of no value to anyone. Unfortuately, that's the way the game is played these days and why I don't blame TA for talking to the press

Really don't like that Armstrong is talking to a newspaper and implying that the accuser is lying.

Girls don't lie??? That's a new one. Ever heard of a little situation that happened at Duke a few years back?
What a f'ing idiotic post.

Of course she could be lying, and I didn't say anything to the contrary. That doesn't mean Armstrong should imply she's lying, especially not to a damned newspaper reporter. He's likely going off the word of the accused. He doesn't know which of them is telling the truth.

How is only knowing the accused's side of the story and telling that to a reporter, insinuating the girl is lying?

It's insinuating she's lying because that isn't all he's heard. He was a) interviewed by the police and therefore knows she filed charges and b) may know that she went to the hospital.

So he knows the girl says she was raped. That's part of what he's heard. But he chose to say "From what we're hearing it was consensual." So he's writing off anything that she's said.

The main takeaway from this is don't talk to news reporters about rape allegations.

I just didn't see all of this in his comment or the implication that the victim might be lying. Sorry. :(

We just don't know enough right now to come to any conclusions.

With the discussion about whether or not this should be reported, the LPD's stance was laid out in the World Herald article:

"No suspects names were listed on the police report. Lincoln police policy is not to name suspects in such cases unless an arrest is made or if there is an immediate threat to public safety."

I think ethically the media should follow this as well. If anyone is arrested they should be named. But living at an address where a crime is alleged to have been committed should not mean this is tied to your name forever.