Bowl Outlook

How about use common sense and cut back the number of bowls and leave out some of the 6-6 teams. I am not disagreeing that 5-7 is bad, but to pass on an opportunity to get better makes no sense. Screw the whole Pride issue, that was lost prior to this. Because they are using the grade formula, in a sense, Nebraska did "earn" the opportunity over many other 5-7 teams.....but wait, we aren't worried about academics....we should just take down the All-American Signs at Memorial Stadium. We shouldn't be proud of that....why not use it to our advantage in this situation.

Good programs graduate kids and create All-Americans ! For parents, that is somewhat important when they send their kids off to school...go figure.

I didnt quite fully grasp where Nebraska was until I realized we need San Jose State, Buffalo, and Georgia State to lose....

Sobering.

We got Rileyed.

What are you talking about?, Riley's not used to having to worry about bowl bids. Golly shucks, jeepers, this is exciting.

You are correct, my apologies.

Hip, hip hooray.

Good point, he hasn't had to worry about planning 15 extra practices this time of the year too often.

I'll use a quote from Digger Phelps, longtime Notre Dame basketball coach, and his take on the old consolation games back in the 1970's. In the NCAA tournament, they used to have a consolation game in the regionals weekend, meaning the losers of the Thursday night games played each other on Saturday before the regional finals. Digger said in a book of his that "Consolation games are vile, petty things designed merely to frustrate the winner and embarrass the loser" Kind of sums up our situation. If we win, we'll sit here and gripe why we didn't play like that more often during the season (e.g. MSU game); if we lose, we'll be 5-8, and that isn't pretty no matter how you dress it up

I agree there are too many bowls. Reduce the number of bowls but . . .

Since one of the benefits of a program is the extra practice time, to compensate the non-bowlers extend there spring football by 10 or 15 practices. Lord knows they need it, and the cost is much less than going to a bowl

I doubt it is a giant money make for the program, but with the big boys getting in the top bowls it adds up.

Hoping for the Foster Farms Bowl. Would be good to play on the west coast for recruiting. Be a tougher game I think, but to get better you have to play better teams.

If we make it, and some of you decide to come out, I will have another tail gate for the board.

Advance warning, Polo most likely would be there.

I wish Kenny Bell would shut the hell up.

If he was on the team he would want to go to a bowl game... earn it or not.

I knew guys on the team...during many different seasons...and some of them had zero desire for more practices and a bowl game. They said they were just done, they never wanted to lift again, they never wanted to run again, they just wanted to turn in the equipment. Now these were all guys basically never played unless it was a blowout, so keep that in mind.

I hope we don't do the same as mizzou.

Missouri sighted wanting to concentrate on filling the coaching vacancy. Not some gesture of being "unworthy" to go with a losing record.

the players were also threatening to not play the rest of the season halfway through. why give them an extra game?