POB

Tommy makes a ton of mistakes. Always has. Chances are he can cut down on them somewhat. Problem is, we depend on him to win games as the focal point of the offense.

If we bring in a freshman and expect him to not make a bunch of mistakes as well, we better have him be more of a "game manager" until he gets seasoned.

I'm more concerned if POB starts that our defense will need to be much much better in order to put him in good positions to manage the game, not have to "win it" every play; which I feel like is a huge problem w TA. He plays like he has to win the game on every play.

Ya well TA doesn't have to win it either he just chooses too. The offense is geared to help him out but when he's making throws he's not supposed to. Then that's on him. Not the coaches.

The one thing we can count on is that the coaches and each one of them is searching, calling, writing, urging and begging each and every recruit around the entire planet that will listen and look at Nebraska. Why not? They are getting big bucks and if they are successful, they get to keep doing it for the bigger bucks for the foreseeable future. I don't understand how so many on this board don't understand this basic fact. The coaches have no interest in not luring the best and the brightest to their team.

It will help if these recruits, while doing their own due dilligence and researching schools etc, don't find a bunch of naysaying bitch and moan types that criticize each and every player, coach, fan and administrator, etc. Nothing is ever good enough etc.

Constructive criticism is fine but just plain BS complaining and bad mouthing is hurtful and nothing more. Convincing good football players to go elsewhere is not going to help restore the Huskers to their appropriate place among the best in college football programs.

A bowl game is public relations, TV audience and views by coaches, future prospects and current players family and friends. Even a crappy bottom tier bowl is better than no bowl at all. I enjoy listening and watching every game I can and one more game is one more chance to enjoy Husker football. The spring game is almost 5 months away and 10 months til the '16 season. We need to be in the news and on TV playing football. Recruiting and practicing and playing games is how the team gets better.

• Fire 1

We know now what to expect from TA in this system. If POB doesn't come in and surpass that ceiling at some point in 2016, he is not our QB of the future.

Wow...tough crowd. Come in as a true freshman and if you don't shine, you suck and always will.

I like how you read into sh#t. My comment was more about how much better he will fit this system than Tommy does.

It's always the backup QB that is the next best thing. We heard that about Bush in the early spring until he pooped the bed in the spring game. I'm hopeful POB can come in and shine, but honestly that's too much to expect from a true frosh.

Josh Rosen.
So we can expect every try freshman QB to be like Josh Rosen? Got it.

he doesn't have to be Josh Rosen. he just has to make better decisions than Tommy to get the starters job. Tommy has the skills if he could just learn to make good decisions. if he doesn't learn than the next guy up might be POB.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The man can run the football, and he can chuck it downfield. He needs to concentrate more on his mechanics and making better decisions. If he can improve in those two areas he could be a true badass.

We know now what to expect from TA in this system. If POB doesn't come in and surpass that ceiling at some point in 2016, he is not our QB of the future.

Wow...tough crowd. Come in as a true freshman and if you don't shine, you suck and always will.
I like how you read into sh#t. My comment was more about how much better he will fit this system than Tommy does.
I read your post perfectly.

You said that if he does do great his true freshman year then he never will.

However, if you meant fine thing different than that, all you have to do is clarify your point of view. No need to act defensive and turn the conversation into something it's not.

Tommy makes a ton of mistakes. Always has. Chances are he can cut down on them somewhat. Problem is, we depend on him to win games as the focal point of the offense.

If we bring in a freshman and expect him to not make a bunch of mistakes as well, we better have him be more of a "game manager" until he gets seasoned.

I'm more concerned if POB starts that our defense will need to be much much better in order to put him in good positions to manage the game, not have to "win it" every play; which I feel like is a huge problem w TA. He plays like he has to win the game on every play.

Ya well TA doesn't have to win it either he just chooses too. The offense is geared to help him out but when he's making throws he's not supposed to. Then that's on him. Not the coaches.

Would you say asking Tommy Armstrong to throw 40+ times a game is gearing an offense to help him out?

• Fire 1

I read your post perfectly.

You said that if he does do great his true freshman year then he never will.

However, if you meant fine thing different than that, all you have to do is clarify your point of view. No need to act defensive and turn the conversation into something it's not.

Lol

Would you say asking Tommy Armstrong to throw 40+ times a game is gearing an offense to help him out?

If you think the play makers on our offenses are in the receiving group - then YES

If you think the play makers on our offenses are in the receiving group - then YES

Then explain how the team is 0-4 when TA throws 40 or more times a game.

Having playmakers in your receiving corp is hindered by a ~50% passer who throws multiple interceptions per game.

A true frosh becoming a starting QB is very rare. Has to be something real special. The only frosh QB I can recall taking over the starting role @ NU in 50+ years was Touchdown Tommie(may have been a RSFrosh), and we was special. I doubt POB is that special.

Well Martinez may not have been a true freshman, but he certainly beat out senior Zac Lee in 2010. I see no reason that POB or Darlington or one of the other QBs can't do the same.

Riley and company are feeling the pressure, and know that Nebraska fans are not going to go through the 2016 season without seeing improvements. Keeping TA in charge will be more of the same.

Forgot about TM. I don't see any frosh they may put in there winning more games than TA next year. There's usually the learning curve, especially when for a pro style guy. If POB is super special and can beat out Tommy, then, hey, we're lucky.

I say let POB start his learning curve next year. Why sit through another TA disaster year only to have POB have to learn on the job the year following. Let's swallow our medicine next year if we have to so that in 2017, the real year of judgment for the MR experiment, we will have an experienced QB who is a fit for the MR system. TA is still going through the learning curve and proved he didn't learn anything new this year. I don't blame Langs for this when you see TA gun slinging it down the field every chance he gets. He started the year looking like he improved and had learned then regressed back into his old ways and never came out of it.

I would be open to seeing a JUCO or a one year guy (grad transfer) come in - but Tommie is not the answer for next year IMHO. We need a difference maker next year otherwise year 2 of the MR tenure may end up looking a lot like year 1 and we cannot afford that kind of skid.

He's a quarterback, if he can't throw the ball he should be playing a different position.

He's a quarterback, if he can't throw the ball he should be playing a different position.

Exactly. TA has a very serious flaw for a quarterback. By never throwing the ball away, you never cut losses and avert disaster. The upside is that TA is always making to look a play and sometimes delivers absolutely breathtaking, scintillating throws. The drawback is a HUGE risk to force throws right at defenders and is consequently a bonafide turnover machine. TA's mobility makes him very good at avoiding sacks and extending plays, which amplifies the probelm by providing more opportunity for poor decisions. His tendency to force throws when they're just not there at all absolutely hamstrings the offense.

TA is an absolute gamer and deserves his place in Husker lore. We'll see if he sticks it out for next season. Sounds like he will. Either way, I'll be very excited to see what we can do when we have a much more fundamentally sound player under center.

Tommie Frazier should've never played the position then, right? I mean, he was a 49% career passer.

Unless you're saying it's different because Frazier was recruited for a different offense? Well, so was Armstrong.

Or, is your point that the players should be able to do whatever the coaches ask them to just because.