B1G bowl blowouts

Didn't all of Solich's teams have the fumble bug too?

I swear NU has always been a team that turns the ball over, a lot.

It was mainly the 1999 team with Stonehands Dan Alexander at I-back. That team led the nation in fumbles with like 25. I remember the NU-CU game that year. Mike Brown rips the ball out of the CU RB's hands to give NU the ball at CU's 25 yard line late in the 4th quarter. The next play, Crouch runs a perfect option and pitches it to Alexander who would have gotten a huge gain on the play. The ball his Alexander right in his hands and bounced away and CU recovered. It was just an example of all the fumbles that year.

Buckhalter also had a fumble at the 2 yard line in the 4th quarter against Texas, which was NU's only loss in 1999.

Crouch contributed. He was pretty bad at pitching the ball.

We need to continue to improve the talent at the line of scrimmage, especially DE, to become a consistent top 25 team.

If we were running a 3-4 defense maybe but Nebraska needs more active and athletic linebackers imo. Guys who can shoot through open gaps to make plays in the backfield and who also can be incorporated into the pass rush via creative blitzes.

Then again Mark Banker is our defensive coordinator (NOT a fan of his scheme) and with Maliek Collins gone Banker is going to be under the gun even more so than he was this year.

As its the off season and NU handled our business, what are y'alls thoughts on Iowa (currently), MSU and NW getting annihilated in their bowl games.

NU, Wisky, Michigan and OSU held up their end and represented the B1G well.

Looking at NU's W-L record, would we have done any better against Stanford, Bama or UT?

IMO, using the eyeball test, NU has a long way to go. In regards to both talent, scheme and coaching. Saw that when Bama brought out their 2nd string O they had 8 former ESPN 300 ranked athletes.

Bama has incredible depth and little drop off. The announcers talked about their DL being the leaders of the team. They set the tone. Held guys accountable ON and OFF the field. Said they were respected AND FEARED by the rest of the team. Reminds me of another team that had that reputation......Peter bros, and Wistrom.....

UT has speed for days.

Stanford- Great system and identity. Plays to the strengths of their players. Solid technique and fundamentally sound.

I think that a mobile QB in TA would be a difference making in at least making the above games respectable. Our run D would be tested, but I think would hold up and would come down to how our DB's did against the pass. If I am honest, we lose all 3, but keep it much closer than the current games.....

Thoughts?

Christian McCaffrey went all beast mode against Iowa. I think if Iowa could of contained him the game would of been a lot closer. I think we would do a better job of handling him, but we would still lose to Stanford in a close one.

As for Bama, we would have to play perfect ball to even come close to competing with.

I could see us beating Tennessee if we played like we did against UCLA.

Not quite sure if this is the appropriate thead for this so mods feel free to move if necessary, this seems to be a catch all thread for the BIG bowl games.

Anyway, huge loss for Whisky IMO. Dave Aranda is a very salty DC. We'll see what kind of juice Cryst has as a HC to find a replacement. This is obviously good news for Nebraska.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14483390/lsu-tigers-hire-wisconsin-badgers-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-same-position

Not quite sure if this is the appropriate thead for this so mods feel free to move if necessary, this seems to be a catch all thread for the BIG bowl games.

Anyway, huge loss for Whisky IMO. Dave Aranda is a very salty DC. We'll see what kind of juice Cryst has as a HC to find a replacement. This is obviously good news for Nebraska.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14483390/lsu-tigers-hire-wisconsin-badgers-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-same-position

That's gonna leave a mark. Wiskys scheme with better speed.......

Recruiting.... recruiting... recruiting...

This years class is currently ranked... 42nd.

This is not going to get us where we want to be. We need coaches and recruiters that can recruit... period.

If we end up with another bad recruiting year... it will be 3 in a row.

2014: 32nd

2015: 31st

2016: 42nd (currently)

Not good for the future.

That's gonna leave a mark. Wiskys scheme with better speed.......

Agreed. There will obviously be some growing pains in year one but speed covers up a whole lotta deficiencies.

I always thought conference allegiance was kind of an odd thing. I could care less as long as Nebraska wins. But I suppose for bragging purposes it is nice sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I hate all teams that aren't Nebraska. But when it comes to Non-conference and Bowl games, I am wanting our conference sisters to win. Why? Lets look at last year when Ohio State was being considered for the play-offs.

Everyone was saying that they played a weak conference and shouldn't be in the play-offs. If it wasn't for the Big 12 Fiasco and had they picked the right team for the their champion, I believe Ohio State would have been out of the play-offs and this year they would be saying we are still weak. I read an article from ESPN that the author thought that the B1G was going to be the next Conference to take control because of last years bowl games outcomes.

Now with this year coming to a close, we have Iowa, Mich St and NW that are blow-outs. This is looking bad for next year. Lets just say Nebraska does go win and are considered for the play-offs. If we as a conference look weak, we won't be considered if we are head to head with another team from a different conference.

You simply cannot look at Nebraska's field, you must look at the grand schemes of things to plan for Nebraska's future.

• Fire 3

I always thought conference allegiance was kind of an odd thing. I could care less as long as Nebraska wins. But I suppose for bragging purposes it is nice sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, I hate all teams that aren't Nebraska. But when it comes to Non-conference and Bowl games, I am wanting our conference sisters to win. Why? Lets look at last year when Ohio State was being considered for the play-offs.

Everyone was saying that they played a weak conference and shouldn't be in the play-offs. If it wasn't for the Big 12 Fiasco and had they picked the right team for the their champion, I believe Ohio State would have been out of the play-offs and this year they would be saying we are still weak. I read an article from ESPN that the author thought that the B1G was going to be the next Conference to take control because of last years bowl games outcomes.

Now with this year coming to a close, we have Iowa, Mich St and NW that are blow-outs. This is looking bad for next year. Lets just say Nebraska does go win and are considered for the play-offs. If we as a conference look weak, we won't be considered if we are head to head with another team from a different conference.

You simply cannot look at Nebraska's field, you must look at the grand schemes of things to plan for Nebraska's future.

I follow where you're going here but I can't agree with you 100%. I think the BIG is going to have some built up caché from Ohio State winning the NC last year for at least a couple more years. Where I'm going w/ this is the I think the BIG will be looked at as a top 4 league unless something drastic happens. All things considered equal, I think you have to assume that an undefeated or one loss BIG team has a really good shot at getting in to the playoff. I could see some unlikely scenarios but by and large if you win the BIG you're beating one of the big boys (tOSU, UM, MSU) to get there and most likely, one of those teams is going to be undefeated or have one loss. Sorry, I got a little wordy there.

To add, Stanford has run 25 SNAPS and has 35 points! Thats an offense to strive for. 2nd most points in the half in Rose Bowl history.

To be fair, that was even efficient for Stanford, and probably not their true average.

Also, about not losing to Purdue, EVER: Purdue was once a good football program back in the Drew Brees era. But yes, in recent years, no good teams lose to Purdue and it's still unbelievable to me how we managed to not only lose that game, but find ourselves down 42-16 in the 3rd quarter. Guess it's hard to keep a team out of the endzone when you set them up 25 yards away from the goal line.

That turn over information is actually very in encouraging to me.

Clean that up and we might have something special. AND....when almost all of those were caused by one player....well....improve that position and.....

Trouble is, IIRC, Riley teams have been pretty bad in this regard. So I doubt they'll be willing as coaches to try to get help with solving the problem.

How many of us thought we would beat UCLA? Riley & Co. Studied the way Stanford beat UCLA and played likewise. Since Riley is known to win games he shouldn't perhaps we WOULD have beat Stanford. Alabama-no. They're just that good ( even though it's odd they keep getting beat by the same team two years in a row!?)

I thought we had a good chance of beating UCLA. I thought the fans who thought we would get blown out watched a different season than I did. I don't think Stanford would destroy us but Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State probably would.

I think those 3 you just listed are probably the best 3 teams this year. Stanford is probably 4, and a healthy Oregon is probably not very far behind (up for debate)

They aren't even in the top 30 in S&P ratings.

That's true, but you know as well as I, they are a top 15-20 team. When Oregon was healthy, they beat Washington, USC, and Stanford. Who are all in the top 25 of those ALL HOLY S&P ratings.

I don't expect you to be on the same team as I when arguing but everyone around the country that pays attention to college football as a whole (not just to the Huskers) knows that Oregon's QB broke his index finger on his throwing hand in the Eastern Washington game. Played through it at Michigan State and if you even have a clue to who Vernon Adams is, you know he was off and that over throw at the end of the game to Byron Marshall was due to that injury. That is common knowledge to those who follow the sport closely outside of their favorite teams.

Michigan State was also in the top 25 of those rankings.

I might have stretched it a little being the top 5 whatever, but if you look at how the season unfolded, and if Oregon was healthy. They beat MSU, and sure as heck don't lose to WSU in the last 3 mins. Finishing 11-1, beat USC again in the Pac12 title game, and a playoff berth.