With hard part in the past, Nebraska football expects bright future

Why do you guys honestly care so much about wins and losses? At the end of the day, why does it really matter?

I want our team to win every game, but if they don't, especially on 50/50 plays, I just shrug it off and enjoy being able to watch my favorite team compete playing my favorite sport. One play doesn't diminish the effort those kids put forth, or the enjoyment I have being a small part of it if only by watching.

Losing on one bad decision or play is not even in the same stratosphere of embarrassment as giving up 60-70+ and being turned into roadkill by OSU or Wisconsin. The difference between a 6-7 season with a lot of tough breaks and a 10-11 win season is night and day by a lot of your perspectives, when it's really just a difference of a few inches.

Dude... you have the right to be a looser... or a quitter or whatever else you want to be...

But...

Football is a performance sport, judged harshly by wins/losses and season records.

People need to get back to understanding that fact.

Why do you guys honestly care so much about wins and losses? At the end of the day, why does it really matter?

I want our team to win every game, but if they don't, especially on 50/50 plays, I just shrug it off and enjoy being able to watch my favorite team compete playing my favorite sport. One play doesn't diminish the effort those kids put forth, or the enjoyment I have being a small part of it if only by watching.

Losing on one bad decision or play is not even in the same stratosphere of embarrassment as giving up 60-70+ and being turned into roadkill by OSU or Wisconsin. The difference between a 6-7 season with a lot of tough breaks and a 10-11 win season is night and day by a lot of your perspectives, when it's really just a difference of a few inches.

Dude... you have the right to be a looser... or a quitter or whatever else you want to be...

But...

Football is a performance sport, judged harshly by wins/losses and season records.

People need to get back to understanding that fact.

Unnecessarily snarky response, Dood. You seem to be an angry recycled poster picking up where you left off.

Anyone with any background in playing or coaching a sport would have this as a basic philosophy on dealing with losing:

Don't dwell on losses. Learn from mistakes and make every effort to improve.

In my opinion, that should be the philosophy as a fan as well.

If your opinion differs, fine. You can choose to get upset about a game. You can choose to call people "losers" or "quitters" for having a less emotional reaction to the outcome of a game. I'll choose to err on the side of keeping things in perspective and being entertained by my favorite team.

• Fire 7

I don't follow that what happened at Oregon State is going to happen at Nebraska because they're different places and situations. There are also some different coaches, right?

I don't follow how Riley's not going to "know his team" again next season because he understandably didn't so well this one.

I don't follow how people are so enamored with Stanford's offense outside the fact that it's rush-heavy ((to) RUSH IS RIGHT, eh, dittoheads? ;) and put up a lot of points over the course of the season. The only tough defenses they faced in the regular season belonged to Northwestern and Washington.

I expect it to take more than a season for kids to excel within a system...mostly offensively...based on experience. I expect most offenses will not perform at a high level without a special quarterback or, barring that, one who can manage a game with a potent arsenal at his disposal.

• Fire 1

I was a million times more embarrassed being down 63-17 at the end of the 3rd quarter in the 2012 BIG Championship to the 3rd place team in the other division, than I was to losing to Purdue. And that might honestly be an understatement.

They were such different feelings. The Wisc game was a giant letdown because of what was involved. I agree the level of disappointment there was higher.

Purdue this year however felt like a nadir to me because I was almost devoid of emotion at that point. We'd already lost to Illinois. It truly felt like rock bottom and that we were completely hopelessly bad.

I was more surprised we could lose to Illinois even though they were the better team on paper. Purdue just always seems to have a game or two in them every season. I've disclosed that I cheer for the Irish, too, so you can understand that sentiment. There was also the Michigan State game for them.

Anyone with any background in playing or coaching a sport would have this as a basic philosophy on dealing with losing:

Don't dwell on losses. Learn from mistakes and make every effort to improve.

In my opinion, that should be the philosophy as a fan as well.

If your opinion differs, fine. You can choose to get upset about a game. You can choose to call people "losers" or "quitters" for having a less emotional reaction to the outcome of a game. I'll choose to err on the side of keeping things in perspective and being entertained by my favorite team.

You don't know what you're talking about.

This is what great coaches think about loosing:

Nick Saban : "I hate losing more than I like winning," Saban said. "There's no doubt about that. The feeling that sticks with you when you fail or don't have success or lose, that's what drives you to keep trying to do it the right way. I don't know if it's fear of failure as much as it is the fear of the feeling of failing. You just don't want to have that feeling of what it's like to lose. I tell the players that."

But here you are preaching to others... to accept loosing... or that the score doesn't matter.

This is complete nonsense and an insult to the sport... and a total insult to anyone who has ever played and gave their all in order to win... those who played and never gave up... an insult to those who weren't quitters.