Huskers in NFL Draft 2016

Atbone95

The Nebraska DL were beasts against the run last season, but the same guys could rarely make a QB in the pocket break a sweat. That may be an issue.

Do DTs in the NFL normally do that? (I really don't know)

I thought Collins did well rushing the passer, and VV had moments too.

In the NFL, DT's are mainly asked to occupy linemen, but can be very disruptive if they are able to collapse pockets and apply pressure from the middle. Collins could be a disruptive pass-rusher type DT, while VV would probably be the guy asked to just plug up the middle and occupy linemen.

The Nebraska DL were beasts against the run last season, but the same guys could rarely make a QB in the pocket break a sweat. That may be an issue.

Well they know if the play is a pass play within a second, and often before the ball is even snapped, at which point the DTs are all about getting pressure on the QB. The DEs and blitzing linebackers may log more sacks, but the DTs need penetration to chase the QB, or simply prevent him from planting his feet.

You can always call your rushing play to go away from Ndamukong Suh, but you might have to double team him on a pass play, which creates an opening for the other linemen and any linebacker or DB you might want to blitz.

Last year Nebraska gave mediocre QBs way too much time to plant their feet and watch the routes develop. I don't remember if Collins was constantly getting double-teamed or just wasn't as effective creating pressure.

I thought Collins did well rushing the passer, and VV had moments too.

In the NFL, DT's are mainly asked to occupy linemen, but can be very disruptive if they are able to collapse pockets and apply pressure from the middle. Collins could be a disruptive pass-rusher type DT, while VV would probably be the guy asked to just plug up the middle and occupy linemen.

Both have very good motors (MC's is elite). I think they will test and interview well. I think both made a smart decision by getting into the draft now.

• Fire 1

Well they know if the play is a pass play within a second, and often before the ball is even snapped, at which point the DTs are all about getting pressure on the QB. The DEs and blitzing linebackers may log more sacks, but the DTs need penetration to chase the QB, or simply prevent him from planting his feet.

You can always call your rushing play to go away from Ndamukong Suh, but you might have to double team him on a pass play, which creates an opening for the other linemen and any linebacker or DB you might want to blitz.

Last year Nebraska gave mediocre QBs way too much time to plant their feet and watch the routes develop. I don't remember if Collins was constantly getting double-teamed or just wasn't as effective creating pressure.

Collins was double and triple teamed at times last year, because teams had no fear of NU's D-ends. There were plenty of times where Collins got pressure on the QB last year, and I don't get the narrative that he didn't play very good. I think too many people expected him to be like Suh, when that's not fair. There has been only one Suh in the history of NU's program.

• Fire 2

I looked at three mock drafts just now (SI; cbssports; nfl.com), and none have Maliek listed. What gives?

Walter Camp lists him as the #12 DT in the draft. I'm surprised to see him projected that low.

I think Collins will do well in the interviews and the workouts, and will creep up the board. D-line is a deep position in this draft, but the Broncos showed what a strong D-line can do to offenses, so I expect a lot of teams to focus on D-line in the draft.

Given the depth of D-line this year, I'm going to predict right now that Valentine will regret leaving UNL early. I know, I know. His family needs $$ right now. But leaving school early without a degree, and little chance of making an NFL roster, just isn't the way to go. Sure wish he would have stuck around another year.

Valentine got his degree in December. That's the main reason he left.

Having his degree or Hughes as a coach the main reason?

I didn't even put these things together until just now. I would hope Hughes' alleged relationship-building inadequacies didn't play a role in players leaving early. :hmmph

I can not relate to this.

Maliek is a beast and it was fun to watch him give lineman fits at NU. His quickness is more impressive to me at this point than his strength.

Take this lift with a grain of salt. The bar is a safety squat bar. It places the weight about 4 inches lower than a normal olympic bar. It makes it MUCH more stable and changes from a pushing to a pulling motion. Experts can't seem to agree but the general consensus is that you can max lift an additional 10-25% with a safety bar. Personal experience was about 15%.

I would expect any professional athlete over 275 pounds to be in this area strength-wise. Their sport may not warrant it but I would expect them to be capable of it. There is a reason that his level of strength/athleticism is good for the first few rounds but not a solid first round grade.

• Fire 1

I can not relate to this.

Maliek is a beast and it was fun to watch him give lineman fits at NU. His quickness is more impressive to me at this point than his strength.

Take this lift with a grain of salt. The bar is a safety squat bar. It places the weight about 4 inches lower than a normal olympic bar. It makes it MUCH more stable and changes from a pushing to a pulling motion. Experts can't seem to agree but the general consensus is that you can max lift an additional 10-25% with a safety bar. Personal experience was about 15%.

I would expect any professional athlete over 275 pounds to be in this area strength-wise. Their sport may not warrant it but I would expect them to be capable of it. There is a reason that his level of strength/athleticism is good for the first few rounds but not a solid first round grade.

Your second paragraph is actually wrong. The bar makes it to where you have you focus more on your balance which in turn makes the focus more on your legs and hips. The bar causes you to lean forward more then a straight bar. The bar sits no different the a regular straight bar but is easier on you shoulders as it is cumbered some.

The only thing bad about that lift that VV done was he had his hands on the rack to provide stability. That defeats the whole purpose of using that bar and really the lift in general. He might as well have used a hack squat.

• 2 weeks later...