Darlington working out at WR

Darlington's concussion was probably the worst thing I've ever seen on video on a football field. The hit itself didn't look that brutal, but the way it messed him up was absolutely horrifying.

The emergency helicopter is what made it terrifying.

That, and his first interview after the concussion. The kid couldn't string together more than a couple words without stuttering uncontrollably.... That was the "holy sh#t" moment for me when it comes to the issues of concussions.....

• Fire 2

I like this move. Darlington has been getting juiced in the weight room. Could be a decent posession wr. Imo the concussion thing is overblown.

Considering that I'm that concussion +20 years. I had 4 between the ages of 8-14, and I can tell you now that I"m 20 years later from my last I am encountering all sorts of problems. Depression, anxiety, I have a hard time focusing on things that I use to just dive into and enjoy. I can't watch movies without getting frustrated by sitting still. I can't enjoy video games any more except a few. I have a hard time with jobs that require a lot of concentration, I'm argumentative about everything, I have a hard time hanging on to relationships, and that is just 20 years.

TBI is a huge problem, and your response is a slap in the face to someone who is dealing with it on a daily basis.

No it isnt because im not talking about anyone eles concussion problems. Im talking about zd's. im going to assume that hes had the proper care and has made an educated decision to keep playing.

I like this move. Darlington has been getting juiced in the weight room. Could be a decent posession wr. Imo the concussion thing is overblown.

I think this is a lot of people's thoughts on the situation who only know that he had a concussion but are unaware of the extent.

We haven't had much information other than what we saw happen to him and his climb back from it. We have all been somewhat speculating as to whether he was in the mix for playing time or if he was simply having his scholly honored out of good will. I remember asking what his actual status was a few months ago and nobody had a solid answer IIRC.

In a nutshell the move surprises me, figured it would be Bush. Glad to hear ZD will be able to contribute in one form or another.

Considering that I'm that concussion +20 years. I had 4 between the ages of 8-14, and I can tell you now that I"m 20 years later from my last I am encountering all sorts of problems. Depression, anxiety, I have a hard time focusing on things that I use to just dive into and enjoy. I can't watch movies without getting frustrated by sitting still. I can't enjoy video games any more except a few. I have a hard time with jobs that require a lot of concentration, I'm argumentative about everything, I have a hard time hanging on to relationships, and that is just 20 years.

TBI is a huge problem, and your response is a slap in the face to someone who is dealing with it on a daily basis.

No it isnt because im not talking about anyone eles concussion problems. Im talking about zd's. im going to assume that hes had the proper care and has made an educated decision to keep playing.

You're expecting a 20 year old who is a competitor and grew up dreaming to play football and got offers from big Div I schools to make an educated decision about this. Is Darlington an expert on brain science and we just don't know about it? Things like this should not be up to the kids.

You're expecting a 20 year old who is a competitor and grew up dreaming to play football and got offers from big Div I schools to make an educated decision about this. Is Darlington an expert on brain science and we just don't know about it? Things like this should not be up to the kids.

exactly!. I understand wanting to compete and the kids want to keep going but damn with all the studies being done on this very thing right now is it worth it?? a few glory years and possible a big paycheck for the mental torment that could be with you for the rest of your life? No shame at all hanging it up at this point. best of luck to him and hopefully it works out just fine.

At some point in time people have to be responsible for the decisions and life they choose to lead. If we can send 17 year old kids into battle, which is far more dangerous than football, then we can let others make their own life decisions.

• Fire 2

Frankly, all this uninformed discussion of Zach's medical condition is silly to me. Nobody but Zach and presumably his family and doctors know exactly what his present status is as far as his concussion issues. I presume Nebraska's medical people have also examined him and concur with the judgment of the guy's own doctors that he is good to play football again. Whether it is QB on the scout team or starting WR, he is either cleared for football play or he is not. There is no such thing as "Yes, you can go out for football and participate but just don't play contact football - just go stand around the practice field in your uniform and participate from afar! He can play or he can't. If he can't play for medical safety reasons, then he should be serving in a GA or other 'assistant' role and should NOT be taking up valuable practice time from the other players who are medically cleared to play. Taking snaps or playing in the spring game says he is 'football ready'. Presumably he brain is either OK or it is damaged in some way and it won't be a day to day thing where one day it is good and the next day it is not. bottom line: Zach can play football or he can't. There is not in between. Honor the scholarship if you want as a academic matter. He does not need to be 'on the team' if he cannot play or practice. That's my opinion.

At some point in time people have to be responsible for the decisions and life they choose to lead. If we can send 17 year old kids into battle, which is far more dangerous than football, then we can let others make their own life decisions.

The reason I don't like that comparison is because on one hand you're risking your life to protect your country and on the other you're risking your life to play a sport.

Also, in the past I've seen lots of coaches let the players decide and it didn't end well. Burkhead came back too early because he was a fighter and hurt himself worse. It's happened other times but that's the first that comes to mind.

Im expecting he has discussed this issue with his parents and medical professionals. As well as the coaches and support staff at the university. If he has not, that would defintely be concerning. But 20 year olds are more than capable of making tough decisions. Ultimately it is his life if the doctors say he can play, he should be able to play.

The reason I don't like that comparison is because on one hand you're risking your life to protect your country and on the other you're risking your life to play a sport.

Also, in the past I've seen lots of coaches let the players decide and it didn't end well. Burkhead came back too early because he was a fighter and hurt himself worse. It's happened other times but that's the first that comes to mind.

I thought Martinez was the super obvious one.
  • Fire 1

It is a valid comparison. Some choose to defend their country, some choose to play football. The point is that they have the freedom to make that choice.

Agree with Martinez - However whoever decided that we didn't need a backup qb made Martinez choice to be patient very difficult.

I didn't pick Martinez because his backup(s) stunk. Burkhead's backup was Abdullah, so the choice to stay off the field a couple more weeks wasn't as hard. It wasn't senior year Abdullah but he was good at the time.