The Next Husker Controversy

I take your point, but this isn't about an "X should be starting over Y" debate.

Divides like this can fundamentally disrupt the mission of a program. I would guess that if we looked similar examples going back in time, these sorts of divides precipitated disaster more often than prosperity.

In '07, things got so bad that almost everyone (but surprisingly not everyone) understood the need for change and we had a rare figure who could step in and right the ship. I really hope we don't need to get awful again before the base is once again united. Because I don't see someone who will be able to intervene.

Didn't expect to see praise of Harvey Perlman. Huh.

You joke. But it's sad that NU was even in a position where some authorities had to push Osborne into the AD position over the objection (or at least hesitation) of Perlman.

TO had to be pushed into the AD position? i thought the narrative was that he was pushed out

Pushed in by people above the Chancellor's head. If you'll recall, Perlman didn't even want to fire Pederson and practically said as much in his statements at the time.

Later, TO was effectively pushed out by the Chancellor, which is why the Chancellor kept people in the dark about choosing a replacement for TO (conducting a unilateral search - compare that to the 25+ people involved in the Chancellor search).

I think it was Mavric who posted a succinct timeline showing how the events went down and how TO was put in the position of needing to announce his retirement. Maybe he'll post it again.

• Fire 4

Nothing? I wouldn't call it nothing.... the reasoning isn't that plausible.

Does anyone have a list of the S&C tests that are kept as records? Again, how does one game a vertical leap or broad jump? Were there records set during the past 10 years that define human ability and therefore call into question the validity of the record? I doubt it.

What testing procedures and equipment are different today than they were two years ago? If they are different than 2 years ago, are they also different than 20 years ago? If so, and that's the reason for pulling down the records set during Epley's absence, then why wouldn't all records prior to 2014 be pulled?

I really don't care one way or the other, but a tiny amount of critical analysis demonstrates that the AD made an odd move and is now in damage control mode.

Ultimately, they are making the right decision by restoring the numbers.

• Fire 3

Husker nation is in real trouble based on some of the vitriol I'm seeing in the Twitter universe over this. The divide that was ripped open in 2003 remains today, I don't think we have a person who can come in and fix it. The fan base is seriously fractured.

There is something hilariously ironic about you posting that.

I heard they're only getting rid of records from former players that live over 500 miles away because they aren't true Nebraskans and their records are hurting our strength and conditioning culture.

This is awesome. Best post of the day

All that Us-Against-The-Us Hubub for ...

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraBC/status/717835890026872832

...nothing? Imagine that! :o

So are they putting them back up bc people are bitching? Otherwise, what was the point of taking them down in the first place?

No. Boyd Epley told us back in December that he'd be doing this, and explained his reasons for it.

What's weird is, the players "bitching" about it should have known about it, especially the guys on the team right now. Which makes me wonder if they're not just having a laugh at us over this because... offseason.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/boyd-epley-s-bringing-back-the-peformance-index-and-weighing/article_1a7c4940-a387-11e5-9643-0bc10d4a2c5d.html

Inside Memorial Stadium’s Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab — where Epley serves as assistant athletic director of strength and conditioning and part of the Huskers’ performance team — he’s already tested athletes in 12 sports. Epley said he’s resetting school records in athletic testing and starting over for a standard benchmark.

• Fire 2

Husker nation is in real trouble based on some of the vitriol I'm seeing in the Twitter universe over this. The divide that was ripped open in 2003 remains today, I don't think we have a person who can come in and fix it. The fan base is seriously fractured.

Ho

Lee

Crap

• Fire 1

Hard to imagine people wasting their time getting so fired up about such a non-issue. Husker Nation would be better served if those 'fans' would spend the offseason posting snarky tweets about shows like Teen Mom or engaged in Facebook arguments over the latest episode of General Hospital. People looking for reasons to be pissed will find something to complain about.

• Fire 4

All that Us-Against-The-Us Hubub for ...

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraBC/status/717835890026872832

...nothing? Imagine that! :o

So are they putting them back up bc people are bitching? Otherwise, what was the point of taking them down in the first place?

No. Boyd Epley told us back in December that he'd be doing this, and explained his reasons for it.

What's weird is, the players "bitching" about it should have known about it, especially the guys on the team right now. Which makes me wonder if they're not just having a laugh at us over this because... offseason.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/boyd-epley-s-bringing-back-the-peformance-index-and-weighing/article_1a7c4940-a387-11e5-9643-0bc10d4a2c5d.html

Inside Memorial Stadiums Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab where Epley serves as assistant athletic director of strength and conditioning and part of the Huskers performance team hes already tested athletes in 12 sports. Epley said hes resetting school records in athletic testing and starting over for a standard benchmark.

Which all makes sense. What I don't understand is why they're getting put back up, other than people and players are clearly unhappy about it. But like you said it could just be them messin with people.

Hard to imagine people wasting their time getting so fired up about such a non-issue. Husker Nation would be better served if those 'fans' would spend the offseason posting snarky tweets about shows like Teen Mom or engaged in Facebook arguments over the latest episode of General Hospital. People looking for reasons to be pissed will find something to complain about.

I blame Scott Gimple for putting everyone in a sour mood this week.