The General Election

Poll don't mean too much this far out, but Clinton was +12 in a Bloomberg poll yesterday. I'm assuming it was probably taken before Orlando, so I interested to see how that moves things. Huff Post's poll tracker has Clinton +5.5

Also, some state polls out the last few days that we interesting. PA and FL basically dead heats. Utah (which had the highest R% in 2012) was split 35/35, with Johnson getting 13%. And Kansas (which haven't gone D since was 1964) was Clinton 43/36.

It will be interesting to see which states turn more purple this year and which become darker blue or red. On the surface Wisconsin and Pennsylvania appear similar with a large population of white blue collar workers. The labor unions in Wisconsin have a stronger presence, but when it comes to the polling, Hillary has a larger lead than Obama did in 2012, yet in Pennsylvania Hillary has lost several points and that race is a dead heat.

I can see Trump as a very polarizing figure who people either love or love to hate, but the idea that there are people so uninformed that they'd vote for Hillary is seriously mind-boggling. I don't trust any polls, especially 5 months before the election, but wow...

I can see Trump as a very polarizing figure who people either love or love to hate, but the idea that there are people so uninformed that they'd vote for Hillary is seriously mind-boggling. I don't trust any polls, especially 5 months before the election, but wow...

Pure irony calling others uninformed here.

• Fire 6

The truth is Obama, Trump, and Hillary are all very polarizing. Obama's numbers have rebounded a bit the past couple months, but the last I checked he is still the most polarizing POTUS in US history.

Obama's numbers have rebounded a bit the past couple months, but the last I checked he is still the most polarizing POTUS in US history.

I think alot of people get it incorrect when they say things like this. Obama is deeply unpopular with Republicans. The average approval rating for his entire term has been 14% among Republicans. That's about 10 points lower, on average, than any President's average approval rating by the opposite party in 50+ years. Further, his approval rating has never been higher than 23% with Republicans at any point during his term. But it has been as low as 6%.

Overall, Obama is at 53% during his last year in office. And that's with approval ratings over 50% by moderates as well.

By comparison, if Obama were to leave office right now, he would trail only FDR, JFK, Eisenhower, and Clinton for highest approval rating when leaving office. And yes, he would be above Reagan.

So yes, in a way Obama is polarizing. But it's only to a small section of the country.

• Fire 4

A few new polls out today. Clinton leads +6, +5, and +9.

The Rasmussen was taken on Tuesday/Wednesday, after the Orlando shootings and Trump's comments. It has Clinton +5. For comparison, Rasmussen's poll from last week had Clinton +4.

The Clinton +9 was from Ipsos/Rueters and was taken Saturday-Wednesday, so it mostly contains the Orlando fallout.

So it doesn't look like a Trump bump as some were thinking.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

A few new polls out today. Clinton leads +6, +5, and +9.

The Rasmussen was taken on Tuesday/Wednesday, after the Orlando shootings and Trump's comments. It has Clinton +5. For comparison, Rasmussen's poll from last week had Clinton +4.

The Clinton +9 was from Ipsos/Rueters and was taken Saturday-Wednesday, so it mostly contains the Orlando fallout.

So it doesn't look like a Trump bump as some were thinking.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

Yeah most polls I have seen have this as a 3-5 point race, with the Bloomberg poll being a major outlier. It's really going to come down to the swing states though. A poll out today has HIllary up 3 in Virginia...I'm surprised she isn't up more there. The PA poll last week had it a tie at 44%.

Hillary is a terrible candidate and very beatable, but if Trump can't focus and put a filter on any thought that comes to mind, she is going to win easily.