The General Election

Trump breaks campaign pledge, won’t prosecute Clinton

Donald Trump pledged to prosecute his rival, Hillary Clinton, during the presidential race. On Tuesday, he broke that promise.

Top Trump aide Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday on MSNBC that Trump would not appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clinton’s emails or family foundation.

“When the president tells you he doesn't wish to pursue the charges, it sends a strong message,” Conway said in an interview on MSNBC's Morning Joe. “I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don't find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Trump can help her heal, perhaps that's a good thing.”

Trump, himself, said after the election that was no longer a priority. In an interview on 60 Minutes, he called the Clintons “good people.”

“I’m going to think about it … I don’t want to hurt them,” he said.

Trump breaks campaign pledge, wont prosecute Clinton

Donald Trump pledged to prosecute his rival, Hillary Clinton, during the presidential race. On Tuesday, he broke that promise.

Top Trump aide Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday on MSNBC that Trump would not appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clintons emails or family foundation.

When the president tells you he doesn't wish to pursue the charges, it sends a strong message, Conway said in an interview on MSNBC's Morning Joe. I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don't find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Trump can help her heal, perhaps that's a good thing.

Trump, himself, said after the election that was no longer a priority. In an interview on 60 Minutes, he called the Clintons good people.

Im going to think about it I dont want to hurt them, he said.

His cult followers will spin it as. "He's afraid for his life, the Killary mafia has already threatened him and his entire family, and he has to save America!"

Top Trump aide Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday on MSNBC that Trump would not appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clintons emails or family foundation.

When the president tells you he doesn't wish to pursue the charges, it sends a strong message, Conway said in an interview on MSNBC's Morning Joe. I think Hillary Clinton still has to face the fact that a majority of Americans don't find her to be honest or trustworthy, but if Trump can help her heal, perhaps that's a good thing.

Trump, himself, said after the election that was no longer a priority. In an interview on 60 Minutes, he called the Clintons good people.

His cult followers will spin it as. "He's afraid for his life, the Killary mafia has already threatened him and his entire family, and he has to save America!"

But..but...LOCK HER UP...LOCK HER UP!!!!

• Fire 1

But..but...LOCK HER UP...LOCK HER UP!!!!

This strikes me as breaking a campaign pledge that would actually anger a pretty decent chunk of his base.

I wonder how many people voted for him strictly on the belief he really was going to toss Clinton in the clink.

Oh well. Can't say I don't find this funny. Trump supporters getting played again.

"Buyer's Remorse."

But then, that takes a level of self-awareness that I don't think a lot of Trump voters have. This is a demographic who has, traditionally, voted against their own self-interests by supporting a party that gives tax breaks to the rich while their tax burden and income remain stagnant. If they didn't figure it out under Reagan, or Bush, or Bush II, they aren't going to suddenly realize under Trump that they're getting screwed.

They'll just continue to believe it's the "liberal's" fault without ever thinking it through.

"Buyer's Remorse."

But then, that takes a level of self-awareness that I don't think a lot of Trump voters have. This is a demographic who has, traditionally, voted against their own self-interests by supporting a party that gives tax breaks to the rich while their tax burden and income remain stagnant. If they didn't figure it out under Reagan, or Bush, or Bush II, they aren't going to suddenly realize under Trump that they're getting screwed.

They'll just continue to believe it's the "liberal's" fault without ever thinking it through.

Keep em distracted with gay marriage, abortion and brown people.

• Fire 3

And these are the kinds of answers he gives, that they lap up, but they mean nothing. They provide no answer, they're just words.

At some point there's going to be a topic his base is concerned about, like building the wall or locking up Hillary, and he's going to give this kind of answer and they're FINALLY going to wake up and realize he's never given a substantive answer this whole time.

The fallout from that wake-up moment is going to be interesting.

"Buyer's Remorse."

Keep em distracted with gay marriage, abortion and brown people.

This is unfortunately more true than I want it to be. I have several family friends on FB who are born again Christians (as am I) and huge Trump supporters (definitely not I). I heard my entire life from fellow born again Christians that we have to protect Israel and suddenly that's not an issue that matters now that Trump has appointed at least one anti-Semite. This is just one issue out of dozens with Christians supporting Trump.

There was a good argument for forgiving his past - that he wasn't Christian then. But he's now as a so-called Christian continuing this behavior. Also, if he actually was a Christian he would have mentioned it during the debate when asked about the audio tape. He would've said he wasn't saved then. Christians believe in forgiveness, even for murder.

I would be okay with it if they voted for him and didn't defend him. But defending him makes literally no sense from this demographic. It's like they've lost their minds.

• Fire 1

It's like they've lost their minds.

It's the team mentality. They are so wrapped up in their team that they don't even think anymore. I see this in my family, too. No Christian could have, should have voted for Trump. My whole family are Christian and they pretty much all voted for Trump.

No sane, rational person would defend a child molester. It's a loathsome thing that we all, universally, hate.

But, ask Penn State fan how they feel about Joe Paterno, who enabled a child molester for decades, and they still want his statue returned to the stadium. They just honored him this year at a game. They are completely irrational about the man because he's the figurehead of their team.

That's where we are in politics today. Rational, reasoned thought is gone. It's all about the team.

• Fire 5

Too close to the situation to step back and realize what they're doing. This team thing sucks. I even see it with people like myself and Obama. It's hard to find fault with the guy. But I can do it. The red line in the sand with Syria and chemical weapons was an utterly horrible decision and really an unforced error on his part. Obviously Libya and Syria have not gone well since then. I do support his plans for those regions. I wish we had drawn down slower in Libya to get things off the ground, and I feel like we may have seen a different outcome. I support the general principle of trying to keep as few boots on the ground as possible in these foreign nations so as to not put our troops at risk.

I find it hard to have much beef with many of Obama's domestic policies. I think he's been quite practical in this area, and I think it's a shame the GOP would rather sit on their hands and watch the ACA die than try to help fix it.

I don't know if you'll ever see this level of introspection and critical reflection from most Trump hardcores. You really think they'll have an epiphany and start suddenly judging Trump objectively, Knapp?