Gun Control

51 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Of people are actually concerned with savings more lives through legislation, then hand guns are what should be the focus.  But yet they aren’t and it’s telling. 

I’m sure many would like to see handguns gone too, but focusing on guns who’s sole purpose is killing people effectively and also have NO legitimate use in the hands of civilians is not inappropriate.  I would include high capacity handguns in this group too. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

This is where I'm at with this issue. How about we actually try controlling/limiting them to people who won't abuse the privilege before jumping to an all out ban?  Make people exhibit that they need one, aren't mentally deranged, will store and use it properly and can be responsible with it.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is where I'm at with this issue. How about we actually try controlling/limiting them to people who won't abuse the privilege before jumping to an all out ban?  Make people exhibit that they need one, aren't mentally deranged, will store and use it properly and can be responsible with it.

Unless regulations and licensing constitutes the large portion of the control legislation, I don't know that it will actually work as intended. A "ban" of this model, or a "confiscation" of that model is not very likely to work. 

@teachercd actually probably has the best example for something that would actually work. Not necessarily single shot, but manual action reloads (think pump shotguns or bolt action rifles) might be the key. 

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I can't imagine why someone would need an AR type gun. There are far better weapons for just about any purpose - other than shooting up a school or mall.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I can't imagine why someone would need an AR type gun. There are far better weapons for just about any purpose - other than shooting up a school or mall.

Hog hunting, small/quick game, things that require a quick follow-up shot, etc. Don't forget they can be rechambered to accommodate all kinds of calibers, or improve stopping power and range. Sure you can use a different semi auto rifle, but not many have as friendly and as customizable a platform as the AR.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If you can shoot it, without having to manually reload it, it should not be legal.

I'm a strong supporter of this, or at least a very limited number of shots before reloading.

13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Hog hunting, small/quick game, things that require a quick follow-up shot, etc. Don't forget they can be rechambered to accommodate all kinds of calibers, or improve stopping power and range. Sure you can use a different semi auto rifle, but not many have as friendly and as customizable a platform as the AR.

That's not necessarily a good thing and is IMO a big part of the problem. We don't need friendly and easily customizable weaponry especially when that weapon is the choice of mass shooters.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Unless regulations and licensing constitutes the large portion of the control legislation, I don't know that it will actually work as intended. A "ban" of this model, or a "confiscation" of that model is not very likely to work. 

@teachercd actually probably has the best example for something that would actually work. Not necessarily single shot, but manual action reloads (think pump shotguns or bolt action rifles) might be the key. 

I clearly always have the best ideas.  Lets not act like this is first time!

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, ZRod said:

But these aren’t NEED’s.  Sure, the AR would make those activities easier, but so would a fully automatic M4 Carbine.  And for good reason, we’re not allowed to own those.  A variety of big game/.22 rifles and/or shotguns would suffice for those wanting to shoot a pig (who does that?) or varmints.  

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This is true, when I used to go hog hunting it would always take more than one shot to get that beast down.

Wait, nevermind....different type of hunting.  

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

"Need" was not the best choice of words. How about "have a legitimate use for"?  I realize this is not much of a hurdle for anyone but my larger point is that currently there are absolutely no questions asked and the background check does not delve deeply enough. Basically the only existing hurdle or pre-qualification is having enough money to purchase one. It needs to be a  much more involved and stringent process.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

"Need" was not the best choice of words. How about "have a legitimate use for"?  I realize this is not much of a hurdle for anyone but my larger point is that currently there are absolutely no questions asked and the background check does not delve deeply enough. Basically the only existing hurdle or pre-qualification is having enough money to purchase one. It needs to be a  much more involved and stringent process.

Here is the problem (my problem) with background checks

I have a retired teaching friend that has been in the loony bin twice and is on tons of meds for his mind.  Dude is awesome and I love him but he still has no problems getting guns.

Secondly, America has become stupid with defining what makes a person crazy.  We are sooooo terrified with labels that I can't imagine how the government would decide who was a nutbar and who was not.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Here is the problem (my problem) with background checks

I have a retired teaching friend that has been in the loony bin twice and is on tons of meds for his mind.  Dude is awesome and I love him but he still has no problems getting guns.

Secondly, America has become stupid with defining what makes a person crazy.  We are sooooo terrified with labels that I can't imagine how the government would decide who was a nutbar and who was not.

I agree that the government's interpretations and application would likely create a while new set of problems. It's scary to imagine who they might deem fit or unfit.  But you can't tweak a process that is non-existent. Need to start somewhere.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I agree that the government's interpretations and application would likely create a while new set of problems. It's scary to imagine who they might deem fit or unfit.  But you can't tweak a process that is non-existent. Need to start somewhere.

Amen!

They would be like "Your background check shows you checked out Dante's Inferno when you were 13, sorry, you can get a gun"

Then..."Here you go unicorn rainbow leprechaun person, pick which gun you want" 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

But these aren’t NEED’s.  Sure, the AR would make those activities easier, but so would a fully automatic M4 Carbine.  And for good reason, we’re not allowed to own those.  A variety of big game/.22 rifles and/or shotguns would suffice for those wanting to shoot a pig (who does that?) or varmints.  

Qwelling the ferral hog population in Texas is a need for many. They are an invasive and agressive species.

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Qwelling the ferral hog population in Texas is a need for many. They are an invasive and agressive species.

I wouldn't no much about that, but I'm sure you're correct.  However, I was referring the "need" to have an AR to do the job.  I could see the convenience of an AR for this purpose.  But, heck tossing a hand grenade at a pack of hogs would be convenient too.   

Wouldn't a hunting rifle such as a .30-O6, 30-30 or .243 do the job?  Or if they are up close, maybe a 12 ga. w/ "OO" buckshot or .44 magnum revolver?  

It's not like it's AR or nothing.  Correct?

• Plus1 2