The Obama Legacy

I have quite a bit of experience with those kinds of thoughts from both law enforcement and military personnel, so it's good to hear that those thoughts are dwindling, Takoda.

It's not where it needs to be but better than say 8-10 years ago. I know that eradicating such mindsets in our governmental branches would seem to be less of a challenge than the same challenge on the streets, or you would think, but I can tell you that its not. There are still those ole social events where the so called powers, smoke their cigs and talk around the corner, just out of sight and ear shot of the public they are bullsh*tting.

• Fire 2

I have quite a bit of experience with those kinds of thoughts from both law enforcement and military personnel, so it's good to hear that those thoughts are dwindling, Takoda.

It's not where it needs to be but better than say 8-10 years ago. I know that eradicating such mindsets in our governmental branches would seem to be less of a challenge than the same challenge on the streets, or you would think, but I can tell you that its not. There are still those ole social events where the so called powers, smoke their cigs and talk around the corner, just out of sight and ear shot of the public they are bullsh*tting.

Cannot speak to law enforcement but as far as military, I think it is hidden a lot more is all. I have a couple good friends that are Prof's at the Air Force Academy. They have been there for over 15 & 20 years respectively and view racism/sexism/integrity issues as being the worst they have witnessed in their time there. It started going downhill after the last big scandal. A lot of it is the disconnect that has been growing in America on whether racism/sexism is an issue. Whites & males typically believe it is a thing of the past; those on the other side have been losing their voice over the last decade trying to decry that it's still there...

• Fire 1

Of 19 policy areas examined, Americans found that Obama made improvements in 4 of those areas, while the country took a step back in 14 of those areas. This is a very good read and not spin being put out by the Obama white house.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201683/americans-assess-progress-obama.aspx

I wouldn't disagree with too many of those. However, the poll is odd. There are some of those that I would vote "no change" on but it's not an option. Also, the middle of the road option is "still good" which implies everything was "good" when he took office.....for which, we all know that wasn't the case.

When you consider where things were when he took office, I would say there were improvement in:

Gays and Lesbians

Energy

Economy

Possibly National defense and military. Depends on how you look at it. We have more troops now home with their families but, the middle east is a mess.

Afghanistan and Iraq...only because we have pulled out most of our military.

No difference would be:

Healthcare

Trade relations

education

blacks

taxes

Immigration

Position in world

Terrorism

Crime

Worse would be:

Race relations (but I don't blame most of that on him)

Rich and poor

debt

Of 19 policy areas examined, Americans found that Obama made improvements in 4 of those areas, while the country took a step back in 14 of those areas. This is a very good read and not spin being put out by the Obama white house.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/201683/americans-assess-progress-obama.aspx

It's interesting to compare Bush's 2009 results from the same poll versus Obama's now, and in doing so, one can make the argument Obama improved more than just four areas.

The only areas pollsters felt Bush made progress in were terrorism, race relations, national defense and effort to fight aids. Conversely, people felt Obama improved the situation for gays/lesbians, energy, climate change and economy. I'll list the areas both candidates have scores for.

The economy: Bush - 5/87, Obama - 42/36

The U.S. position in the world: Bush 12/69, Obama - 30/49

Healthcare: 13/52, Obama - 43/43

Immigration: Bush - 14/51, Obama - 27/45

Taxes: Bush - 16/45, Obama - 23/34

Energy: Bush - 21/49, Obama - 46/23

Crime: Bush - 25/39, Obama - 21/56

The environment or climate change: Bush - 28/42, Obama - 33/23

Education: Bush - 28/42, Obama - 31/39

National defense & military: Bush - 39/36, Obama - 30/39

Race relations/situation for Blacks: Bush - 40/25, Obama - 30/37

Terrorism: Bush - 40/37, Obama - 28/49

The bolded are areas Obama increased score over Bush. Again, those are only the categories the president's shared between the 2009 poll and the 2017 poll. Obama had a few others added that Bush wasn't asked about. But, the comparison shows people think Obama improved 8/12 shared categories.

• Fire 4

Why don't we look at statistical data instead of the feels? Anybody wanna do that? No, ok. I'll take my ball and go home...

That poll made some sense to me, but I struggle why people think we're worse off in terms of the crime, taxes, terrorism, or position in world metrics now than we were in '09.

Crime: Unless you're talking about the tension between law enforcement and the communities they serve, I don't understand this at all. Violent crime nationally is down across the board. I for one applaud Obama for trying to have a conversation about improving policing for everyone, including the police, rather than just ignoring it.

Taxes: Obama's tax policies are rather progressive, are they not? I could've sworn he's raised taxes primarily on the wealthy. I guess people are just yearning for some tax cuts.

Terrorism: I sort of understand this one because of the disparate amount of attention its given by the media and politicians. We need to be safe. But, it bears repeating: before Orlando happened, white supremacists had killed more Americans since 9/11 than Islamic terrorists. But I rarely hear people complain about the proliferation of white supremacists here...

Position in the world: This one just boggles the mind. We're trapped in an echo chamber with people like Trump and right-wing media telling us how god-awful everything has become, how our country is going to hell in a hand basket, how no one respects us anymore... It's merely sensationalized propaganda. This garbage prevents a reasonable conversation about how to improve the country.

Others are up for debate...

• Fire 4

Why don't we look at statistical data instead of the feels? Anybody wanna do that? No, ok. I'll take my ball and go home...

That poll made some sense to me, but I struggle why people think we're worse off in terms of the crime, taxes, terrorism, or position in world metrics now than we were in '09.

Crime: Unless you're talking about the tension between law enforcement and the communities they serve, I don't understand this at all. Violent crime nationally is down across the board. I for one applaud Obama for trying to have a conversation about improving policing for everyone, including the police, rather than just ignoring it.

Taxes: Obama's tax policies are rather progressive, are they not? I could've sworn he's raised taxes primarily on the wealthy. I guess people are just yearning for some tax cuts.

Terrorism: I sort of understand this one because of the disparate amount of attention its given by the media and politicians. We need to be safe. But, it bears repeating: before Orlando happened, white supremacists had killed more Americans since 9/11 than Islamic terrorists. But I rarely hear people complain about the proliferation of white supremacists here...

Position in the world: This one just boggles the mind. We're trapped in an echo chamber with people like Trump and right-wing media telling us how god-awful everything has become, how our country is going to hell in a hand basket, how no one respects us anymore... It's merely sensationalized propaganda. This garbage prevents a reasonable conversation about how to improve the country.

If you haven't read what I posted above yet, people actually think we're improved in many of those areas than we were under Bush. If you take the poll at face value, and submit it as proof that "Americans" believe Obama has only improved our country in four ways (as bnilhome did), then you could easily walk way with the impression that we didn't improve much.

But, the fact is (based on this poll) "Americans" think we're in an improved position now than eight years ago in more than just four categories, we're just not where we need to be.

If you haven't read what I posted above yet, people actually think we're better off in many of those areas than we were under Bush. If you take the poll at face value, and submit it as proof that "Americans" believe Obama has only improved our country in four ways (as bnilhome did), then you could easily walk way with the impression that we're worse off.

But, the fact is (based on this poll) "Americans" think we're in a better position now than eight years ago in more than just four categories, we're just not where we need to be.

I interpret your post above differently.

The data you posted doesn't show that more people think we are better off in those bolded areas. It shows that more people think Obama improved those areas more than Bush did.

I know it's a confusing statement, but, the question isn't...."are you better off" in those areas. It's...."did Bush/Obama improve" those areas.

And, this really gets to ZRod's question above. This poll is measuring PERCEPTION. PERCEPTION many times is not REALITY.

• Fire 1