All I know is NFL scouts really like Tanner Lee and they really don't like Tommy Armstrong. And both have strong arms, similar pass completion percentages, and similar numbers of interceptions. There's something about Tanner the pros like. Let's see what he does with a lot of talent around him and a year sitting out to study film.

Perhaps I missed this. Where did you see it?

I can see why NFL scouts like Lee, in the same way that they like any number of 6'4, 220 QBs with an arm -- the vast majority of whom don't end up being serious NFL prospects. Still, point taken: it's a good place to start.

In an ideal world, POB comes along this season to the point where he is the solid #2, and getting reps in blowouts. This would give us flexibility to redshirt Gebbia, and put 2 years inbetween them.

In terms of this season, Tommy is the man. He'll only come off the field if we're winning big, or by injury (knock on wood).

Yeah, I agree with this. Ideally, POB can win the #2 spot this year and get a handful of series throughout the season -- as a springboard to winning the job and blossoming as the next great B1G QB.

If he can't win the job next season, most likely whoever does is closer to hold down the fort than a superstar, until either POB or Gebbia or whoever else is ready. That's fine too. I loved the Zac Taylor years. And QB is a position where I think stability and sound decisions matter more than raw talent or developing youth.

I can see why NFL scouts like Lee, in the same way that they like any number of 6'4, 220 QBs with an arm -- the vast majority of whom don't end up being serious NFL prospects. Still, point taken: it's a good place to start.

In an ideal world, POB comes along this season to the point where he is the solid #2, and getting reps in blowouts. This would give us flexibility to redshirt Gebbia, and put 2 years inbetween them.

In terms of this season, Tommy is the man. He'll only come off the field if we're winning big, or by injury (knock on wood).

Yeah, I agree with this. Ideally, POB can win the #2 spot this year and get a handful of series throughout the season -- as a springboard to winning the job and blossoming as the next great B1G QB.

If he can't win the job next season, most likely whoever does is closer to hold down the fort than a superstar, until either POB or Gebbia or whoever else is ready. That's fine too. I loved the Zac Taylor years. And QB is a position where I think stability and sound decisions matter more than raw talent or developing youth.

Zac Taylor is one of my favorite Husker QBs of all time. He is seriously undervalued throughout history.

TA has the potential to be around a 58 to 59 percent passer, as it is very achievable for quarterbacks to increase their completion percentages by 3-4 percent each season. I also believe a realistic goal is to get his interceptions down to around 8 or 10. It is well documented how poorly Nebraska has taken care of the ball in the last decade, and quarterback play has been one of the largest contributing factors. If TA can hit these marks, I like the team's offensive capabilities in 2016.

Unfortunately, TA is just in a difficult system based on his skill set. However, I think MR realizes this and will do a better job of playing to his strengths in 2016. At least, I hope.

Moving forward, I believe our mostly likely starter in 2017 is Tanner Lee due to his experience. O'Brien and Bush will likely battle for the #2 spot. Some people are saying " don't sleep on Bush" as the 2017 starter, but in my opinion, I don't see it. He doesn't seem like someone who will take particularly good care of the ball and I think the cards are somewhat stacked against him because of the offense these coaches want to run.

Finally, barring just insane circumstances, Gebbia will redshirt.

Why do so many think that a transfer from Tulane of all places, apparently not good enough to win and keep the job there, should suddenly beat out all of our other QBs for the job after one redshirt year in the program? What has he done?

not much, no one was clamoring for his services either.

BS. He also visited LSU, before deciding on Nebraska, and would have plenty of suitors had Nebraska not jumped on him quickly and got him.

The guy has started 19 games at the FBS level, it doesn't matter if it was Tulane. You're obviously not going to get that kind of experience anywhere else on the roster once Tommy graduates. Saying he's definitely going to start over O'Brien in 2017 is also ignorant, nobody has any clue how that competition will work out next year. All I know is that Nebraska's quarterback room for 2017 is more talented with Lee in it rather than without

It doesn't matter so much that it was at Tulane. It does matter that he was a 53% passer with nearly as many INTs as TDs. So far he's been TA without the running ability. And that's against ... shall we say ... competition that isn't as good as he'll see here.

Visiting LSU is not the same as having a legitimate offer to go there. And even if it was, it's not like LSU has been a QB hotbed lately. Their offense has done less with more talent than probably anywhere in the country the last several years.

If Lee is our starter going into next year, we're nowhere near where we want to be.

The context matters here a bit though, Mav.

His freshman numbers were less than stellar, but he was a freshman. His sophomore season - which was the last year he played for Tulane - he sat out of games due to a concussion and broken finger. He also ended up playing with that broken finger for part of the season.

Does that translate to him being a significantly better quarterback as a potential starter in 2017? No. But, it does provide reason as to why he struggled. A redshirt year with MR/Langs could have substantial impact on his development.

• Fire 1

If Lee is our starter going into next year, we're nowhere near where we want to be.

Ain't that the truth.....

Not really IMO.

We are losing our almost 4 year starting QB and the only real experienced backup we have on the roster. If Lee were to beat out POB who redshirted and AJ Bush who most feel will never take a snap, how is that the determining factor that "we aren't where we want to be"?

QB is probably the most vital position, but to say Lee winning the job is essentially the staff failing feels pretty nit picky to me.

• Fire 2

Not really IMO.

We are losing our almost 4 year starting QB and the only real experienced backup we have on the roster. If Lee were to beat out POB who redshirted and AJ Bush who most feel will never take a snap, how is that the determining factor that "we aren't where we want to be"?

QB is probably the most vital position, but to say Lee winning the job is essentially the staff failing feels pretty nit picky to me.

People think that because he had bad stats at a small school that he is unequivocally, without even a faint sniff of a chance of proving us wrong, not good enough to play quarterback at the god damn university of Nebraska.

Thankfully, people don't really have any idea what the hell they're talking about, and for some of us it's easier than it is for others to trust the coaching staff's judgment.

• Fire 1

I think we would all like to see more of good Tommy than bad Tommy this year. He has to take a step forward if the Huskers are going to win the West. Somehow I think we will miss some elements of his game when he's gone.

As for the future, very excited about O'Brien, Gebbia and glad Tanner Lee will be around. Those first two mentioned were some seriously good recruits that will fit Riley's system. I am encouraged about the near future. Next year will be a true QB battle and will probably see a little of both before one rises up and takes over.

Not really IMO.

People think that because he had bad stats at a small school that he is unequivocally, without even a faint sniff of a chance of proving us wrong, not good enough to play quarterback at the god damn university of Nebraska.

Thankfully, people don't really have any idea what the hell they're talking about, and for some of us it's easier than it is for others to trust the coaching staff's judgment.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter who wins the job next year as long as we are winning games. That's what decides if we are where we want to be, not if a transfer beats out RSFreshmen.

Yeah, already setting arbitrary markers for failure.

What if Lee is pretty darn good?

And if he's merely solid, or ZT Redux, all that means is that a sophomore (or redshirt freshman) and true freshman aren't ready to be superstars yet in 2017 -- and no QB inherited (Ryker, Darlington, Bush) becomes a superstar either. I don't know about you guys, but that would be the least shocking thing in the world to me.

A capable QB who makes good decisions on a solid, deep roster should mean a team making noise in the B1G race. It's what Wisconsin and Michigan State has been doing for the past n years. I'd be happy to be at that point in '17.

Not really IMO.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter who wins the job next year as long as we are winning games. That's what decides if we are where we want to be, not if a transfer beats out RSFreshmen.

This ^

• Fire 1

In the 2 years before Russel Wilson transferred to Wisconsin, he threw 25 interceptions...that's 3 less than Tommy's last 2 years. No, I'm not saying Tommy is Russel Wilson...I'm saying that good QB's can have off years...especially with as much turmoil as we had here and with a new offense.

I think Tommy will be fine this next year and I think Tanner Lee will be more than serviceable the year following.

For comparison, here's Tanner Lee's stats:
2014: 185-336 for 1962 yards (55.1 and 14 INT)
2015: 143-276 for 1639 yards (51.8% and 7 INT)
Keep in mind Lee didn't play as many games his first 2 years as Wilson did...and he was hurt for most of 2015. I'm thinking he'll take a big step forward with a better supporting cast and better coaching.

I agree and also note he was sacked 42 times over the course of those two years. It's not as if he was throwing behind a solid offensive line.