Week 1 Preview: Fresno State

BIG ERN

2829.gif 2015: 3-9 (2-6) Series: Neb leads 2-0

Returning starters - Offense (6) Defense (4)

Last season the Bulldogs ranked in the bottom 20 in most of the major categories besides passing defense (49th). Their staff hired a new OC and four new position coaches to revamp the offense. Dual-threat QB Chason Virgil was injured last season in his first career start vs Utah and will get the nod in the opener vs Nebraska. Fresno State lost their leading rusher and receiver from last year, but return two solid receivers in Da'Mari Scott and KeeSean Johnson. The under sized offensive line returns two starters from a year ago.

The defense lost their leading tackler and leader in Ejiro Ederaine, but return lockdown corner Tyquwan Glass and Washington State transfer Dequan Brown. They too, brought in a new DC in Lorenzo Ward from South Carolina who runs a multiple 3-4 defense. The defensive front recruited two 300+ pound JUCO nose tackles in Forrester and Belony.

Prediction: Nebraska 49 Fresno State 17

• Fire 2

Sounds like the one thing going for Fresno State is the element of surprise as we really don't know much about how they will line up to attack us on either side of the ball. But, actually that should work OK anyway as we will be starting the season in our 'basic' plays on offense and defense, although we ought to be able to give 'em a few shakes and shivers in our offensive formations etc. If we block the corners well, we should be able to run wide on the 3-4 successfully. I don't think a 3 man front can stop us from running right at them either as our size and strength advantage will be overwhelming (at least it should be). I believe our strength and conditioning programs with Epley back now for about a year should be really making a difference. We will be more powerful up front and even our RBs should be more difficult to stop without solid tackling techniques. Can't wait to watch Ozigbo and Wilbon and hoping Newby will make a nice jump up on the toughness scale.

I would say a good opener score vs. these guys will be 52-7. We should not give up many points as our defense should be able to pretty much dominate a freshman QB and bunch of inexperienced guys. I think the crowd alone will be difficult for these guys to overcome.

Sounds like the one thing going for Fresno State is the element of surprise as we really don't know much about how they will line up to attack us on either side of the ball. But, actually that should work OK anyway as we will be starting the season in our 'basic' plays on offense and defense, although we ought to be able to give 'em a few shakes and shivers in our offensive formations etc. If we block the corners well, we should be able to run wide on the 3-4 successfully. I don't think a 3 man front can stop us from running right at them either as our size and strength advantage will be overwhelming (at least it should be). I believe our strength and conditioning programs with Epley back now for about a year should be really making a difference. We will be more powerful up front and even our RBs should be more difficult to stop without solid tackling techniques. Can't wait to watch Ozigbo and Wilbon and hoping Newby will make a nice jump up on the toughness scale.

I would say a good opener score vs. these guys will be 52-7. We should not give up many points as our defense should be able to pretty much dominate a freshman QB and bunch of inexperienced guys. I think the crowd alone will be difficult for these guys to overcome.

i think you are putting too much sugar in your kool-aid.

• Fire 1

i think you are putting too much sugar in your kool-aid.

I got a cavity just catching a wiff of the kool aid
  • Fire 1

Watch out for the hail mary............................................

No Hail Marys this year. A thing of the past. Won't need em and won't be victims either. Huskers are gonna rock and roll this year. Gotta believe! There are good vibes all around!

Went to practice tonight. We did a 2 minute drill. Got down to 3 seconds, offense had the ball on the 40yd going in.

I watched 5 DBs and 3 LBs watch Pierson-El catch the touchdown. sh#t you not, he didn't even jump.

This should be a much easier test to open the year than BYU. Although I picked Nebraska to beat BYU last year, I was wary about our chances to win that game--it was a new coaching staff and a new offensive and defensive system being put to its first test against a team with a well-established coaching staff, system, and track record. That said, I thought the team handled the novelty well, coming up just short.

Offensively, the team should be okay, the system is in place. But I expect a few signs of rust and perhaps a turnover or two against Fresno State. My biggest concern once again falls on the defense. A lot of talent was lost up front and we're going to have to rely on Kevin Maurice and a still-raw Akinmoladun to clog running lanes and rush the passer. Linebacker is our strong point, but I think it's stronger against the run than against the pass. The secondary proved last year that they weren't all that great, but a system change should cut down on some of the explosive plays.

That said, aside from South Alabama , Nebraska didn't blow anyone out last year, so I'm not expecting a blowout in this game. Yes, the Huskers beat Minnesota and Rutgers by 23 and 17, respectively, but those games were much closer than the score suggests. Minnesota pulled to within two scores in the fourth quarter and Rutgers made it 21-14 halfway through the third quarter before finally giving way. I'll be pleasantly surprised by a blowout, but I'm not expecting Nebraska to have many problems with the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Nebraska 38 Fresno State 20

I am pretty much in agreement with this, I think they might get 17 but a score in the 50's for Nebraska is not out of the question