What did we learn-Fresno St edition

JJ Husker

So...it's good we aren't passing but it's bad we aren't passing.

In truth I would have like to have seen 2 or 3 more PA passes, but we really didn't need them. The coaches did a great job of sticking with what was working. I'm just disappointed that we couldn't get Westy involved in the passing game. We are pretty blessed this year with all the talent at WR and RB. Really we just need a line that can hold up their end and things could be very interesting for us. Tommy will be just fine this year.

That's not at all what I said, Buster. And it's not what I meant either. I don't have a track record of being that stupid.

My question is, can we expect Saturday's play mix and game plan to beat Wisconsin? Hopefully Langsdorf will hone in on high-percentage ways to use the throwing ability that Tommy has to take advantages of 8 in the box when the going gets tough. I think we saw that in the bowl game.

In truth I would have like to have seen 2 or 3 more PA passes, but we really didn't need them. The coaches did a great job of sticking with what was working. I'm just disappointed that we couldn't get Westy involved in the passing game. We are pretty blessed this year with all the talent at WR and RB. Really we just need a line that can hold up their end and things could be very interesting for us. Tommy will be just fine this year.

riiiiiiight define fine.

riiiiiiight define fine.
He can run and he can pass when we need him to off of PA. I don't care that he has a low percentage. All he has to do is take care of the ball and not throw it into double coverage. If he can do that his feet will make some more plays for us.

We are going to see the same gameplan that we saw yesterday at least seven more times this year. We are going to struggle against teams that can line up and stop us when running. When Tommie did drop back I thought he was mostly in form but he still wasn't accurate. This means teams that are talented and physical will force us to win with Tommie and that's going to be tough due to his inaccuracy and bad decision making. At this point, those teams will be Oregon, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. On the reverse of this, our focus on the run game will better position us to win the games we should win.

Also we need pass rushers in the worst way. It is hard to fairly judge a secondary when the front seven is allergic to pressuring the QB.

Yep, we are so far from being a top 10 team it is a bit scary. It won't take much of a decent defense to stop our running game based off of that game forcing TA to pass, and that won't go well because we couldn't even keep Fresno out of the backfield.

Tommy will still throw Yolobombs even when he only has 10 pass attempts. Really need to change that.

After rewatching the game, the only time he yolobombed was throwing deep to Westy. And even on that play, Westy was against single coverage and everyone else was covered. TA could have thrown it away, but why not give your best WR a chance when singled up?