The "Riley" Factor against Oregon

To lay it all out here. Oregon is dealing with new Coordinators on each side of the ball. New qb. Porous defense on the road. Theyre facing a group of coaches-particularly the HC, OC, and DC that have spent many years together, playing them anually, (Aside from the two years Langsdorf was in the NFL), so not only do they have continuity at a staff, but they probably know Oregon as well as Oregon knows Oregon right now. Big kicker? Oregon is not the Oregon of 2+ years ago, and Riley and Co. have much better players than 2+ years ago. Probably at every position on the field. So this is gonna be real interesting.

Now obviously they wont say it. Most coaches dont as they play the whole "one game at a time, every game matters" coach speak bs. These guys have had this game circled since they took the job here. No doubt. They saved a bunch game 1. When we couldnt run the ball well in game two, (mostly due to Wyoming mindset. They sacraficed huge chunks in the air for stopping our run), they pulled the leash of Tommy and aside from one real head scratching decision, the guy was money in the pass game. Good decisions. Throwing into windows, stretching the field, trust in the receivers, and didnt seem to not be able to handle the moment. Now Hoke's scratching his head. Cuz Nebraska showed A LOT on Saturday. The use of misdirections and motions on numerous plays of which there was literally 3 different dirctional possibilities of the play at the snap. And Tommy showing he's perfectly capable, it's gonna have heads spinnin in Eugene this week.

• Fire 5

I think we're looking too much in this thread at what Oregon did in their warmup games against UVA and UC Davis. But the thing is, teams do all sorts of posturing in these first couple games to mask what they're going to do down the line. Oregon's running game might not be as bad as it appeared the first couple of weeks. And they'll make defensive adjustments that we've not seen on the film of their first two games.

That said, I suspect Riley and staff will be sufficiently motivated to give this game their full attention. He spent quite a few years getting outmanned at Oregon State by big brother down in Eugene. That, and there are a lot of eyes on this game. I really don't know what to expectthe Huskers are still sort of an unknown quantity. But it should be a good game!

Ehhhh. So we the fans shred Nebraska for being in "tight games with inferior opponents into the 4th quarter" and how nervous that makes us to play a team like Oregon, but Oregon does the similar with UC Davis and UVA and were "purposely hiding things"...

• Fire 2

The unfortunate thing is. If NU wins, we won't do much to help make it look like a big win for NU down the road. Oregon looks like an average Pac12 team right now. In all Honesty, Colorado could beat Oregon.

Dude, don't ever say Colorado could beat your team. That's just wrong. :)

Frankly, I see Oregon doing better as the year progresses--new staff means a new learning curve (as we experienced last year), and the end-of-season Oregon team will likely be better than the current one, especially with Hoke as the DC.

None. It won't matter because we won't be able to stop you, regardless

The only thing that stops NU from scoring 40+ is Langsdorf's playcalling or Tommy having an awful game.

I'm very disappointed in the way the ducks look. Horrible tackling. It's just flat bad.

The unfortunate thing is. If NU wins, we won't do much to help make it look like a big win for NU down the road. Oregon looks like an average Pac12 team right now. In all Honesty, Colorado could beat Oregon.

The unfortunate other side of this statement is IF Oregon drums us then we are in worst shape than we are thinking right now. Scary to think about........if what you're saying is correct.
Oregon hasn't been overly inpressive in their 2 wins. We have been moderately impressive over 2 teams who are maybe a little better.

We lose to Oregon it will be because of our Defense and if that is the case we are going to be in for another frustrating year.

Ya. It's gunna be a frustrating game if you like defense.

So like the OSU game down in Stillwater several years ago while we were still in the Big XII................got it! :lol:

• Fire 1

I think we're looking too much in this thread at what Oregon did in their warmup games against UVA and UC Davis. But the thing is, teams do all sorts of posturing in these first couple games to mask what they're going to do down the line. Oregon's running game might not be as bad as it appeared the first couple of weeks. And they'll make defensive adjustments that we've not seen on the film of their first two games.

That said, I suspect Riley and staff will be sufficiently motivated to give this game their full attention. He spent quite a few years getting outmanned at Oregon State by big brother down in Eugene. That, and there are a lot of eyes on this game. I really don't know what to expectthe Huskers are still sort of an unknown quantity. But it should be a good game!

Ehhhh. So we the fans shred Nebraska for being in "tight games with inferior opponents into the 4th quarter" and how nervous that makes us to play a team like Oregon, but Oregon does the similar with UC Davis and UVA and were "purposely hiding things"...

That's a fairly standard thing to do, isn't it? To not roll out your whole offensive and defensive schemes in the first couple of games? Even high schools do that. Look at us. When we rushed the ball 51 times against Fresno, versus only 13 runs, did you think we were going to have a 4:1 rush:pass ratio the rest of the season?

I personally believe these coaches know what it takes to beat Oregon. Now, if they have the talent and able to get that talent to do what it takes...we will find out on Saturday. Knowledge of Oregon and how to beat them is not my concern.

A big thing is the players mentality when playing Oregon.

How will they react when Oregon gets that tempo going, gets their momentum and scores in a blistering speed moment. It can be shocking just how fast they can score and what happens to the game once they get momentum.

Nebraska players need to be aware that big plays will happen, tempo will get going, but remain calm and don't get caught up in what Oregon is doing.

• Fire 2

The only thing that stops NU from scoring 40+ is Langsdorf's playcalling or Tommy having an awful game.

I'm very disappointed in the way the ducks look. Horrible tackling. It's just flat bad.

Coach, I call BS on you down playing the Ducks. While they might not be in the elite status, they have far superior athletes than our first two opponents. Yes, they have some missed assignments, are still trying to figure out their defensive schemes and occasionally make bad decisions, but as a whole, they are not nearly what you are attempting to paint in this picture.

We need to execute and play error free football. While I have not seen Washington play yet this year, the Ducks IMO, are still in the top tier of the PAC.

• Fire 2

Let's hope we don't reenact his experience of getting beat like a drum every year. With all the talent we forget to use, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Knowing you have the ability to win and doing it are two different things.

Average margin of loss is about 13 points, but there was one 4 point loss, one 1 point loss and one 10 point loss in there. Those don't qualify for being "beaten like a drum" in my book. The average final AP ranking for those Oregon teams was 6th. Five of the Oregon St teams were unranked and there was one ranked 18th and one ranked 20th in that time frame. I am not totally sure what that means, but don't pencil in an automatic loss.

To lay it all out here. Oregon is dealing with new Coordinators on each side of the ball. New qb. Porous defense on the road. Theyre facing a group of coaches-particularly the HC, OC, and DC that have spent many years together, playing them anually, (Aside from the two years Langsdorf was in the NFL), so not only do they have continuity at a staff, but they probably know Oregon as well as Oregon knows Oregon right now. Big kicker? Oregon is not the Oregon of 2+ years ago, and Riley and Co. have much better players than 2+ years ago. Probably at every position on the field. So this is gonna be real interesting.

Now obviously they wont say it. Most coaches dont as they play the whole "one game at a time, every game matters" coach speak bs. These guys have had this game circled since they took the job here. No doubt. They saved a bunch game 1. When we couldnt run the ball well in game two, (mostly due to Wyoming mindset. They sacraficed huge chunks in the air for stopping our run), they pulled the leash of Tommy and aside from one real head scratching decision, the guy was money in the pass game. Good decisions. Throwing into windows, stretching the field, trust in the receivers, and didnt seem to not be able to handle the moment. Now Hoke's scratching his head. Cuz Nebraska showed A LOT on Saturday. The use of misdirections and motions on numerous plays of which there was literally 3 different dirctional possibilities of the play at the snap. And Tommy showing he's perfectly capable, it's gonna have heads spinnin in Eugene this week.

I like the thought of this, but Oregon just needs to go to their video vault of Riley's years at Oregon State to get an idea of what Nebraska is going to run. Riley ran this same stuff in Corvallis, so Oregon has seen it, and has loads of tape on it.

The whole, saving game plans for such and such week, reminds me of the Callahan days of where things were so vanilla to keep the big game teams from knowing what we may run. The problem that seems to have always happened when you don't run you stuff for week 1, week 2, etc. then suddenly in week 4 want to run it, is players don't seem to execute it so well.

I like the thought of this, but Oregon just needs to go to their video vault of Riley's years at Oregon State to get an idea of what Nebraska is going to run. Riley ran this same stuff in Corvallis, so Oregon has seen it, and has loads of tape on it.

The whole, saving game plans for such and such week, reminds me of the Callahan days of where things were so vanilla to keep the big game teams from knowing what we may run. The problem that seems to have always happened when you don't run you stuff for week 1, week 2, etc. then suddenly in week 4 want to run it, is players don't seem to execute it so well.

They NEVER had to gameplan for a QB like Armstrong at Oregon State. If he keeps playing at this level he is one of the most dynamic players at the position in the country. The threat of the QB run game is very real and I would get we will see A LOT more of that they haven't shown this week.

I don't remember a single option or QB draw this season. I think we see that Saturday.

Coach, I call BS on you down playing the Ducks. While they might not be in the elite status, they have far superior athletes than our first two opponents. Yes, they have some missed assignments, are still trying to figure out their defensive schemes and occasionally make bad decisions, but as a whole, they are not nearly what you are attempting to paint in this picture.

We need to execute and play error free football. While I have not seen Washington play yet this year, the Ducks IMO, are still in the top tier of the PAC.

Well you can think that but Oregon gave up 37 pts PER last year. They are an even YOUNGER unit this year. NU will get their points. I didn't say the Oregon O was bad. Just the D.