What did we learn-Oregon edition

I learned we might be well coached. It's been a long time since I felt our coaching staff really put us in great position to win games, since Osborne. I thought Oregon had the slightly better team but our staff has done a really good job overall. That last drive was gorgeous, no way around it.

It was really nervy, though. It's easy to say with the end result, but we were another incompletion away from going out on downs at around midfield. You just have to try, and some drives go your way and some don't.

I learned we might be well coached. It's been a long time since I felt our coaching staff really put us in great position to win games, since Osborne. I thought Oregon had the slightly better team but our staff has done a really good job overall. That last drive was gorgeous, no way around it.

It was really nervy, though. It's easy to say with the end result, but we were another incompletion away from going out on downs at around midfield. You just have to try, and some drives go your way and some don't.

Yeah, converting on 4th and 9 was the key. Not giving up on the run was great though. That QB draw call was on the screws as well.

• Fire 1

When the game is on the line, get the ball in Westerkamp's hands.

Tommy is an absolute gamer. Honestly I think this was his best game of his career when you consider how big this game was. 0 interceptions was huge.

Ozigbo needs to carry the ball 25+ times every game. Dude just falls forward every time, and was huge during that final scoring drive and to start the 2nd half.

Prevent defense still doesn't work. That 3rd and 26 we only sent 3 guys and it bit us in the butt. End of the game we bring pressure and it works...wouldn't ya know!?

Finally I'll end with this, good things can happen for us! After the torture that was last season, this win felt so good. That was just an exciting game from start to finish, and I'm glad we came out on top. Yes, Oregon had a lot of penalties, yes Oregon went for 2 way too many times. But at the end of the day we beat them, and when you consider Iowa lost to North Dakota St and the way Florida St. lost today there's no sense in complaining how you won the game, just be happy that we ended up on the right side of the scoreboard. Go Big Red!

Either a guy has that or doesn't. Roy, Rex and AA all had that. It makes a loss turn into 1-2 yrd gain.

Yep, Newby is really good when the o-line opens up big holes because he has a bit more speed, but Ozigbo does a great job creating yards that don't seem to exist.

What running back isn't really good when the o-line opens up big holes?

He has more breakaway speed

I learned Mike Riley has the foresight to go for it on 4th and 9 when I'm screaming to punt.

I learned Parella has the Dline playing beyond their ability and Banker can dial up a blitz(most of the time) when needed. As another stated, just wait until we get deeper there.

I learned when the team was down two scores and facing Oregon with a minute left in the half, we didn't just try to get to half. We fought and got a quick score.

I learned this team is capable of 10+ wins in the regular season with the remaining schedule.

GBR!

I learned I'm really starting to like this Mike Riley guy. Under Pelini, this team would have quit in the 2nd quarter. This team got back up every time it was punched in the mouth and punched Oregon right back.

Ozigbo is going to be a beast.

I'm glad we moved on from pelini but this statement simply isn't true. This game was a Bo pelini game all the way. Sloppy dog fight...steal it at the end. This Oregon team is rebuilding. It's a solid win. But not a program defining one. I'd equate this to pelini beating OU in year 2...the team down to it's young backup qb. Good win but not an Oregon team we've seen over the last decade.
  • Fire 1

Seriously, this team's got a decent shot at being 7-0. Of course, game by game is how we have to do it, but the meat of our schedule is definitely not our next four games.

TA has seriously cut down on the number of WTF throws this year. This is huge.

Ozigbo is our best RB.

Oregon's defense is awful.

Mark Banker can coach a damn decent game, and apparently learned something from BYU last year.

This team has guts.

GBR!!!!!!

I was getting real nervous when Banker dialed back the aggressive defensive nature of the 1st half early second half. Can't go after Oregon at half fast.

I learned I'm really starting to like this Mike Riley guy. Under Pelini, this team would have quit in the 2nd quarter. This team got back up every time it was punched in the mouth and punched Oregon right back.

I'm glad we moved on from pelini but this statement simply isn't true. This game was a Bo pelini game all the way. Sloppy dog fight...steal it at the end. This Oregon team is rebuilding. It's a solid win. But not a program defining one. I'd equate this to pelini beating OU in year 2...the team down to it's young backup qb. Good win but not an Oregon team we've seen over the last decade.

There were two distinct eras of Peliniball, pre- and post-Suh. See UCLA 2013 as one example. Show some flashes, then hit the fetal position once the opponent has the gall to punch you in the face.

• Fire 1

This team should be undefeated going into Wisconsin week, and after today seeing Wisky's game the Badgers are beatable. Meaning Nebraska could be setting up for huge implications vs Ohio State.

I would love to see that game if both were undefeated. Even if we were to lose that game, in that scenario with a head to head win over Wisky, we would likely get another shot at them in Indy.

And maybe game day.

There were two distinct eras of Peliniball, pre- and post-Suh. See UCLA 2013 as one example. Show some flashes, then hit the fetal position once the opponent has the gall to punch you in the face.

As stated earlier, it might not be the Oregon of a year ago, but they are still shiny and considered one of the better teams of this decade. I'll take it.

• Fire 1

Or maybe we were just a fumble away from going out on downs?