What did we learn-Oregon edition

Great win. I think both these teams are somewhere in the 20-25 ranking of what I have seen so far this year The question is can we keep improving.

This game could have really gone either way and we finally won a close won. We do not win this game last year.

Tommy is a competitor...but we knew that.

We have to create opportunities for DPE to return punts. They are potential game changers so let's set up punt returns.

The offense showed me what I thought we could do. Not perfect...drops and put the ball on the ground too much (sheesh we could have lost some fumbles) but Tommy, Westy, and Ozigbo were willing us to victory.

The defense...I think ultimately will tell us the story of our season. Great final stop but still too shaky for me. The Oregon QB was literally a "sitting duck" but we could not get pressure or move him off his spot. We got burned too much on the edge for me also.

I really like what we are doing with offensive recruiting. Still needs some stud OL's IMO. We need defensive recruits that can pressure the QB and more speed. Not the easiest to get but I think these types of players jump us into the next level of being in the top 20 and pushing into that top 10.

• Fire 1

Tommy YOLO was a warrior today!

Last drive - Blackshirts defended their house!

Tommy Armstrong = warrior

For all the complaining, analyzing, and belly-aching over TA's play, he's our best player.

What woah let's not get ahead of ourselves here.... he may be our most important player but he in no way is our best. I'd give that to Westy or Stanley before TA and Gerry if we're considering our whole team.

Have to agree here.

I disagree. If I were putting together a team, I'd take TA ahead of anybody else on our roster.

I'd probably fill the qb slot first simply because it is the most important position on the offense.

Tommy YOLO was a warrior today!

Last drive - Blackshirts defended their house!

Tommy Armstrong = warrior

For all the complaining, analyzing, and belly-aching over TA's play, he's our best player.

What woah let's not get ahead of ourselves here.... he may be our most important player but he in no way is our best. I'd give that to Westy or Stanley before TA and Gerry if we're considering our whole team.
Have to agree here.

I disagree. If I were putting together a team, I'd take TA ahead of anybody else on our roster.

Here's how I see it.

If I was to pick one player whose injury would have the worst effect on our team's chances of winning, it would be Armstrong.

But that doesn't mean he's the best player. It means the biggest gap between the starter and the backups is at his position.

• Fire 2

I have to be honest and say that after the fiasco backwards pass, I thought we are done. However, I was impressed with the fact that we actually had very few fouls against us and we managed the game very nicely. It is really strange when other teams have more fouls than us and make more stupid calls than us. It is something I have to get used to seeing again. Let us hope that this game propels us to take charge of the not so strong division we are in. We have a decent chance to win the division this year if we continue to play smart and TA avoids throwing the ball into coverage. He got luck a coupe of times today but overall much improved from last year.

Ozigbo is a beast and is definitely the better player compared to Newby.

Oregon is a good team and will win a lot of games this year. They just made one to many mistakes and had many fouls against them. Also, insisting to go for two points was really STUPID. Thank you for that by the way.

When the game is on the line, get the ball in Westerkamp's hands.

Tommy is an absolute gamer. Honestly I think this was his best game of his career when you consider how big this game was. 0 interceptions was huge.

Ozigbo needs to carry the ball 25+ times every game. Dude just falls forward every time, and was huge during that final scoring drive and to start the 2nd half.

Prevent defense still doesn't work. That 3rd and 26 we only sent 3 guys and it bit us in the butt. End of the game we bring pressure and it works...wouldn't ya know!?

Finally I'll end with this, good things can happen for us! After the torture that was last season, this win felt so good. That was just an exciting game from start to finish, and I'm glad we came out on top. Yes, Oregon had a lot of penalties, yes Oregon went for 2 way too many times. But at the end of the day we beat them, and when you consider Iowa lost to North Dakota St and the way Florida St. lost today there's no sense in complaining how you won the game, just be happy that we ended up on the right side of the scoreboard. Go Big Red!

Either a guy has that or doesn't. Roy, Rex and AA all had that. It makes a loss turn into 1-2 yrd gain.

Yep, Newby is really good when the o-line opens up big holes because he has a bit more speed, but Ozigbo does a great job creating yards that don't seem to exist.

Yep, let's make excuses for why Newby was good...can't be because he was a 4 star and is a great athlete.

Dude, you have a weird obsession going with Newby. Ozigbo is the better back for our current OL situation. I think it is fairly obvious 3 games in.

• Fire 2

Banderas always seems a step or two slow to me.

I've said it for two years - starting Banderas over Rose-Ivey is STUPID. That dude is the best LB on the team, hands down IMO. He's struggled with injuries and always came right back and proved himself.

No one fills a hole quicker on the team than he does. And when he hits you, it hurts.

I thought RI had a pretty bad game, if you look at most of the long runs he took bad angles which allowed the RB or QB to get out of a situation where it should have been a tackle for a loss and then tried to tackle like it was flag football. Overall we need to recruit better talent at the position, but that is a topic for another day.

Outside contain on a lot of those Oregon runs to the edge was really handled badly. Not just by LB's

I've said it for two years - starting Banderas over Rose-Ivey is STUPID. That dude is the best LB on the team, hands down IMO. He's struggled with injuries and always came right back and proved himself.

No one fills a hole quicker on the team than he does. And when he hits you, it hurts.

I thought RI had a pretty bad game, if you look at most of the long runs he took bad angles which allowed the RB or QB to get out of a situation where it should have been a tackle for a loss and then tried to tackle like it was flag football. Overall we need to recruit better talent at the position, but that is a topic for another day.

Outside contain on a lot of those Oregon runs to the edge was really handled badly. Not just by LB's

Our weakest position on D is DE. We are just 2 slow. Hopefully, Banker can do something to stop these outside runs.

• Fire 1

Our weakest position on D is DE. We are just 2 slow. Hopefully, Banker can do something to stop these outside runs.

The DE was being read on a lot of those plays, so improved DE talent wouldn't help.

I thought Oregon was just fast and good at the perimeter runs. I doubt many teams stop them. Yes, we could have played better, but the opponent has athletes too.

That it feels good when a game like this goes your way

Memorial Stadium can be LOUD.

My ears were ringing while I was yelling that last drive.

Brock was mentioning on the broadcast that this was the loudest he had heard Memorial Stadium since he played there.

Which is awesome, I was re-watching the game and it sounded like it.

When the game is on the line, get the ball in Westerkamp's hands.

Tommy is an absolute gamer. Honestly I think this was his best game of his career when you consider how big this game was. 0 interceptions was huge.

Ozigbo needs to carry the ball 25+ times every game. Dude just falls forward every time, and was huge during that final scoring drive and to start the 2nd half.

Prevent defense still doesn't work. That 3rd and 26 we only sent 3 guys and it bit us in the butt. End of the game we bring pressure and it works...wouldn't ya know!?

Finally I'll end with this, good things can happen for us! After the torture that was last season, this win felt so good. That was just an exciting game from start to finish, and I'm glad we came out on top. Yes, Oregon had a lot of penalties, yes Oregon went for 2 way too many times. But at the end of the day we beat them, and when you consider Iowa lost to North Dakota St and the way Florida St. lost today there's no sense in complaining how you won the game, just be happy that we ended up on the right side of the scoreboard. Go Big Red!

Either a guy has that or doesn't. Roy, Rex and AA all had that. It makes a loss turn into 1-2 yrd gain.

Yep, Newby is really good when the o-line opens up big holes because he has a bit more speed, but Ozigbo does a great job creating yards that don't seem to exist.

Yep, let's make excuses for why Newby was good...can't be because he was a 4 star and is a great athlete.

Ozigbo is the better back, regardless of how many stars Newby had coming out of high school. I don't think Newby is terrible, far from it, Ozigbo is just better. I think this is a very good problem to have, a stable of excellent backs.