Nebraska #15 in Coaches Poll

+1 to admo and Victor for putting together that useful info for us. Nice work!

It's true that the way the rankings system works is a little bit odd. Any given week, a highly ranked team can squeak by an opponent, while a slightly lower ranked team can destroy their opponent, and there's very little chance they leap frog the first team.

But one bit that maybe helps justify the boost we got was the goal line fumbles. If we held onto those two balls, we were likely looking at a rout rather than a game that seemed a lot closer.

But, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

...and thermonuclear devices.

• Fire 1

With Oregon losing, and us winning a "close one" (score doesn't tell the whole story with the fumbles in the end zone), I'm surprised we jumped up to 15. If we had beaten Oregon this week, and Northwestern last week, we wouldn't be rated this high. I think Riley will do a good job of keeping players from reading into rankings too much and thinking we are unbeatable against our next few match ups. A simple reminder of last season can bring them back down to Earth.

Do we deserve being top 15? Time will tell. Rated? I think so. Still have a ways to go before we are "back," but being rated definitely helps our recruiting.

The only rankings that matter are 1-4 now.I say that with full anticipation of us dropping at some point to soften the blow.

Actually, none of these rankings matter because none of these polls makes an difference other than as a talking point.
1-4 matter greatly after championship weekend.

Well these polls aren't used to select the playoff participants, but the polls are influential to the playoff selection committee. The playoff committee has to review teams based on the quality of their wins and losses in order to determine the top 4, and how they are seeded. One measure I am sure they look at to determine the quality of opponents would be the coaches and AP polls.

The only rankings that matter are 1-4 now.I say that with full anticipation of us dropping at some point to soften the blow.

Actually, none of these rankings matter because none of these polls makes an difference other than as a talking point.

Only the ranking in the CFP Committee poll, which hasn't voted yet for this season. And even then, only the last poll matters.

Only the ranking in the CFP Committee poll, which hasn't voted yet for this season. And even then, only the last poll matters.
The Coaches Poll and AP poll impact the opinions of the CFP committee, so they aren't meaningless. #allpollsmatter

The Coaches Poll and AP poll impact the opinions of the CFP committee, so they aren't meaningless. #allpollsmatter

I doubt it. Look who's on the CFP committee and tell me if you think those people care about other polls.

I doubt it. Look who's on the CFP committee and tell me if you think those people care about other polls.
The CFP committee are human beings that make opinions based on their perception of the college football teams. Do you honestly think that the AP and coaches polls have no bearing on their perception and opinions of the college football teams?

I like us being this high even if we might be a little higher than we will finish.

This team has worked its tail off to improve from last year. Nobody knows yet how much better thru are.

But, this ranking should motivate the players to realize the hard work and tough play is paying off.

We've earned it as much as a team can in 4 games. For the record, I also think it means that outsiders see more positives in NU than maybe we do as fans. We continue to handle our business, we only rise in the polls and further confirm to outsiders and ourselves we deserve it.

More importantly, like beating Oregon, shows that Riley and Co have a "system" that is working. Helps with buy in and recruiting IMO.