Nebraska #15 in Coaches Poll

I think it's interesting how certain teams like Ole Miss or FSU get beat down by the hands of a top 10 team. Stay in the polls.

Colorado gave Michigan (The media darling) all it could handle till Luifao got hurt, lost, and receives minimal votes. Colorado beats Oregon by 3 in Autzen with a true frosh QB. NU beats Oregon by 3 in Lincoln. Yet there is a huge disparage between NU and CU. Not saying it shouldn't be that way. I'm just intrigued by the circumstances.

Not saying CU is all that great but I find it interesting and would like to know the logic/reasoning. I think we can agree that NU's win over Oregon is what vaulted them into the rankings.

Texas is ranked 25th. Beat a highly over ranked yet 1-3 Notre Dame, lost to Cal. Cal just got housed by ASU.

I'm no CU fan but I watched that game yesterday to the very end and I find it interesting that they only received 16 points in votes.

Anyway, I really think NU is one it's way to a top 10 ranking and showdown with Wisconsin.

Too high too early in my book.

We have all the time in the world to climb, but at the moment we feel like a #22 team.

But I do hope some folks recognize that the national media tends to have a pro-Nebraska rather than anti-Nebraska bias. It feels right to have the Huskers back in the mix.

Coaches poll

I agree that 15 may seem a little high, however early in the season teams with no losses are going to be slightly overranked and teams that had a loss that they shouldn't have had are going to be slightly underrated. For anyone that thinks we should be in the low 20's - show me 6 or 7 teams that deserve to be above us. Also how do we compare to Miami? - I feel like we deserve 14 over them

I like the current ranking (15). Husker's are undefeated and playing good ball. And to say it's too high or too early to think about, I disagree. It's good for the program, the team, the fans (well, the ones that enjoy it).

Edit: FYI the BCS Standings come out Week 8, Oct 16, 2016

i think we are a bit overrated right now.....but i am happy to see the pollsters respect Nebraska

Agreed. I have a hard time believing their are only 14 teams in 1-A that are better than us.

Well, based on what we've seen, let's go through the P5 Conferences and see:

ACC:

Louisville: L

Clemson: L

Wake Forest: W

FSU: Toss-Up

Syracuse: W

Boston College: W

NC State: W

Virginia Tech: W

North Carolina: W

Georgia Tech: W

Duke: W

Miami: Toss-Up

Pitt: W

Virginia: W

Big XII

Texass: W

Oklahoma: W

Okie Lite: W

TCU: W

Baylor: W

Texas Tech: W

Iowa State: W

Kansas: W

Kansas State: W

West Virginia: W

SEC:

Tennessee: W

Florida: W

Georgia: W

Kentucky: W

South Carolina: W

Mizzery: W

Vandy: W

Texass aTm: L

'Bama: L

Auburn: W

LSU: W

Mississippi State: W

Mississippi: W

Arkansas: Toss-Up

Pac-12:

Stanford: L

Washington: L

Cal: W

Oregon: W

Oregon State: W

Washington State: W

Utah: Toss-Up

Arizona State: Toss-Up

Colorado: W

USC: W

Arizona: W

UCLA: W

B1G:

Michigan: Toss-Up

tOSU: L

Maryland: W

Indiana: W

Penn State: W

Michigan State: W

Rutgers: W

Wisky: Toss-Up

Minnesota: W

NW: W

Iowa: W

Illinois: W

Pur-f*****g-due: W

I count seven teams that, if based on what we've seen to date from DoNU, I'd wager we'd lose, and six that would be a toss-up/could see them going either way. Add Houston to the L column (only non-P5 school I'd wager we would lose to) for a total of eight, so we could be anywhere from the 9th to 15th best school in the land this year right now.

So the mid-teens (14-16) sounds about right for our kids until the can show they've learned from past mistakes, can control games better, and can battle just the opponent instead of themselves as well.

And yes, that does show that I'd favor Nebraska against all of the Big XII teams. Even Oklahoma, which is the best in the Big XII in spite of its record. It also shows that we'd likely win the B1G West (don't think Wisky will win against tOSU or Michigan) if we keep up our progress.

• Fire 1

Looking at our schedule, just keep winning until our 10/29 matchup with Wisconsin. Because things are about to shake up. Don't laugh, but the Huskers could be somewhere in Top 10 by time they play the Badgers :)

Current AP rank, team, and opponents to play through 10/29.

15. Nebraska - Illinois, at Indiana, Purdue - 10/29 at Wisconsin

14. Miami - at GaTech, FSU, UNC, at VaTech - 10/29 at Notre Dame

13. Baylor - at Iowa St, Kansas - 10/29 at Texas

12. Florida St - UNC, at Miami, Wake Forest - 10/29 Clemson

11. Tennesse - at Georgia, at Tex A&M, Alabama - 10/29 South Carolina

10. Washington - Stanford, at Oregon, Oregon St - 10/29 at Utah

9. Texas A&M - at South Carolina, Tennessee, at Alabama - 10/29 NMSU

8. Wisconsin - at Michigan, Ohio State, at Iowa - 10/29 Nebraska

7. Stanford - at Washington, WSU, at Notre Dame, Colorado - 10/29 at Arizona

6. Houston - (plays no one to mention)

5. Clemson - Lousiville, at Boston College, NCSU - 10/29 at Florida St

4. Michigan - Wisconsin, at Rutgers, Illinois - 10/29 at Michigan St

3. Louisville - (plays Clemson and that's it)

2. Ohio State - (plays Wisconsin at that's it)

1. Alabama - at Arkansas, at Tennesse, Texas A&M - 10/29 Bye week

• Fire 1

i think we are a bit overrated right now.....but i am happy to see the pollsters respect Nebraska

Agreed. I have a hard time believing their are only 14 teams in 1-A that are better than us.

ACC:

Big XII

SEC:

Pac-12:

B1G:

I count seven teams that, if based on what we've seen to date from DoNU, I'd wager we'd lose, and six that would be a toss-up/could see them going either way. Add Houston to the L column (only non-P5 school I'd wager we would lose to) for a total of eight, so we could be anywhere from the 9th to 15th best school in the land this year right now.

So the mid-teens (14-16) sounds about right for our kids until the can show they've learned from past mistakes, can control games better, and can battle just the opponent instead of themselves as well.

And yes, that does show that I'd favor Nebraska against all of the Big XII teams. Even Oklahoma, which is the best in the Big XII in spite of its record. It also shows that we'd likely win the B1G West (don't think Wisky will win against tOSU or Michigan) if we keep up our progress.

I'd have quite a few more toss-ups than you have, but I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Too high too early in my book.

We have all the time in the world to climb, but at the moment we feel like a #22 team.

But I do hope some folks recognize that the national media tends to have a pro-Nebraska rather than anti-Nebraska bias. It feels right to have the Huskers back in the mix.

Yeah, I agree with this. 20 seemed like a big jump. Another +5 after yesterday's game over now 1-3 Northwestern makes me worry this is very volatile. Nebraska is being set up to have a Top 10 spot as a 7-0 team for the Wisconsin game, I think. But drop just one and we might be lucky to see a Top 20 ranking.

Like admo says. The Huskers should be easy favorites in three very winnable (but also losable) games. An undefeated B1G team in late October is *probably* going to be Top 10. Beat Wisconsin and it'll get to be around Top 5. Unlikely to stay there long, though, in any case. Our final schedule is a rough stretch.

ACC:

Big XII

SEC:

Pac-12:

B1G:

I'd have quite a few more toss-ups than you have, but I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Thanks, and I can completely get that--the thing is, those Toss Ups could go either way, so those are your 'margin of error', so to speak, for validation of their ranking.

As long as Nebraska's ranking from the AP/Coaches/TheDr.PepperGuy falls within that 'margin of error', then they're not overrated, nor are they underrated. They're just where they need to be, which is how I see our current rank. :)

• Fire 1

+1 to admo and Victor for putting together that useful info for us. Nice work!

It's true that the way the rankings system works is a little bit odd. Any given week, a highly ranked team can squeak by an opponent, while a slightly lower ranked team can destroy their opponent, and there's very little chance they leap frog the first team.

But one bit that maybe helps justify the boost we got was the goal line fumbles. If we held onto those two balls, we were likely looking at a rout rather than a game that seemed a lot closer.

But, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...