Nebraska #15 in Coaches Poll

I don't get where people think this is too high. This week's polls are not a guess at where a team will end the season. They are simply the ranking now, at this point in time. As volatile as this season has been so far, I'll take the highest ranking we can obtain. Who knows what will happen should we lose a game. We need the highest ranking possible to help offset any potential downgrade if/when it comes to that. Plus, you can look at virtually any team in the top 25 and make a reasoned argument that they are either too high or too low. I think 15 is perfectly reasonable for a 4-0 team that has been playing pretty solid ball and showing signs of improving every week. And don't give me this "it could be a distraction" or "it might go to the players heads". If this team can't handle being ranked 15, then it will all get sorted out in the end anyway. Enjoy the rare air we have been deprived of for so long. Let's hope they keep taking care of business and making their way up the polls and then put it all together when the big games come around. We can have nice things too, Lord knows we're due.

• Fire 2

The CFP committee are human beings that make opinions based on their perception of the college football teams. Do you honestly think that the AP and coaches polls have no bearing on their perception and opinions of the college football teams?

Agree with this. I know ideally we would want them to go through all of the games that have occurred in the season and evaluate them and then come up with their ranking, but using the current polls as a frame of reference is so much easier.

Anyhow, if we beat Illinois and there are no upsets we'll move up to 14th or 13th this week.

The only rankings that matter are 1-4 now.I say that with full anticipation of us dropping at some point to soften the blow.

Actually, none of these rankings matter because none of these polls makes an difference other than as a talking point.

1-4 matter greatly after championship weekend.

Only the ranking in the CFP Committee poll, which hasn't voted yet for this season. And even then, only the last poll matters.

The Coaches Poll and AP poll impact the opinions of the CFP committee, so they aren't meaningless. #allpollsmatter

I doubt it. Look who's on the CFP committee and tell me if you think those people care about other polls.

The CFP committee are human beings that make opinions based on their perception of the college football teams. Do you honestly think that the AP and coaches polls have no bearing on their perception and opinions of the college football teams?

I think it has so little bearing as to be a non-factor. But believe what you want.

+1 to admo and Victor for putting together that useful info for us. Nice work!

It's true that the way the rankings system works is a little bit odd. Any given week, a highly ranked team can squeak by an opponent, while a slightly lower ranked team can destroy their opponent, and there's very little chance they leap frog the first team.

But one bit that maybe helps justify the boost we got was the goal line fumbles. If we held onto those two balls, we were likely looking at a rout rather than a game that seemed a lot closer.

But, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

...and thermonuclear devices.

5b7e0fdd39178dc8d4148618607fc96fb8908a1e

I don't like us being this high. We don't deserve it, and it's too easily something that can be a distraction from the players. Hopefully they can block out the noise.

It's the nature of football when ranked teams continue to lose and you're undefeated. It's inevitable to happen early because of so many unknowns for preseason projections. I think alot of people hold the same opinion that rankings shouldn't come till the committee releases theirs at the end of week 8

FWIW, Jeff Sagarin has Nebraska down a spot (or two?) in his poll at #22. Our SOS in the Sagarin poll is #80. Oregon losing to Colorado really hurt us in his poll.

i completely agree with his ranking. In a parallel universe where we had beaten NW week 3 and UO week 4 (after losing to CU), the media and coaches would have us ranked about #22.

FWIW, Jeff Sagarin has Nebraska down a spot (or two?) in his poll at #22. Our SOS in the Sagarin poll is #80. Oregon losing to Colorado really hurt us in his poll.

i completely agree with his ranking. In a parallel universe where we had beaten NW week 3 and UO week 4 (after losing to CU), the media and coaches would have us ranked about #22.

I agree as well. Our best win is against a 2-2 team. We haven't really beaten anyone good enough to deserve to be ranked 15 IMO. On the other hand, I don't see many, if any, teams beneath us that we shouldn't be able to beat. We will have our chance to prove ourselves soon enough. Until then, I will take the free marketing and hype that comes with being a ranked team.