Rest Tommy next week?

What I thought was a pretty clear indicator of Langsdorf knowing that his ankle was a limiting factor on Saturday was that I don't think Tommy had any designed keepers until we were running our two minute drill at the end of the first half. Seemed like a really weird time to call that play.

On the last drive I believe he picked up a first down with an inside keeper. I think we would have seen the play more if he hadn't have been significantly impacted. Maybe not though.

What I thought was a pretty clear indicator of Langsdorf knowing that his ankle was a limiting factor on Saturday was that I don't think Tommy had any designed keepers until we were running our two minute drill at the end of the first half. Seemed like a really weird time to call that play.

On the last drive I believe he picked up a first down with an inside keeper. I think we would have seen the play more if he hadn't have been significantly impacted. Maybe not though.

I would think so too. Both plays gained good yardage

Would be nice to know we could just run power football with a backup QB, á la Turman and LP vs K St 1994 ..... but our o-line just doesn't appear to be in a place to be able to do that, as they're very hobbled as well.

Tough decisions to be made. Would certainly be ideal if we could get these ankles rested up for Wisconsin.

Armstrong should never be playing multiple games through a limiting injury. Finishing a game, or testing it for a game is one thing; letting it persist is another.

There wouldn't be many guys playing throuout the season with that reasoning.

Well, if Tommy is injured and he continues to play, what happens when he gets hurt worse and we are forced to put Fyfe in for 2 weeks or longer? I like my best guys at 100% not 80%, that worries me.
  • Fire 1

I have always wondered if a first string guy is better at 80% than a second string guy is at 100%. I suppose that answer varies in the drop off, but I think I would rather see a 100% Ryker Fyfe. This choice is made with the notion that Armstrong is hobbled in both his running AND his throwing by whatever is bothering him.

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

Speculating is the mother of all forums. I have no idea how injured Tommy is but I am speculating that he is hurting to a moderate degree. Why? Because his mobility yesterday was notably limited and he obviously limped at times. Also, not to much more than a week ago he was wearing boot and Riley made the comment that he wouldn't play had there been a game rather than a bye. And Tommy's checked out for a few series in at least one but maybe more games. How is it ever right for a team or an individual to play an obviously hurting player? I trust Riley to make the morally right decision but I would not be surprised to hear that Tommy sits this week. If we lose because the 2nd string QB can't cut it then so be it. We're not much of a team to begin with.
There is a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. Its football. You are going to get dinged up during the course of the season, doesnt mean its wrong to play someone that is dinged up. Tommy would tell you the same thing. If he can go, he goes.
ok what about Alonzo Moore? You could argue he was just dinged up but coaches sat him a few games. Sometimes toughing through things isn't the best option, even if your are hurt not injured

Nebraska has slightly more depth @ WR than QB.

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

This times Eleventy Billion. ELEVENTY.

If anyone, especially players and coaches, approaches this game with the attitude that they can let off the gas even a little, bad things will happen. This is not a game where you play down to your opponents; where you don't use your best players; where you take a few plays off; where you underestimate your opponent. OP makes assumptions about our running game and their run defense. He is also by implication making assumptions about many other things happening exactly as he would like them to happen. Bad mistake. Never let off the gas. Never.