Injury updates

mwj98

This sounds .... hopeful....

Yup, this makes me feel a whole lot better! LOL Exactly my point and 'pooh pooh' to all of you who seem to think we don't need back up QBs prepared to play at a winning level.

We have about 140 guys on the team and apparently we have only 2 who are really capable (including Fyfe) of managing the offense as a QB. Last week we had our walk on back up QB playing in the second half with a broken hand! It surely negatively effected his game as the QB play declined dramatically. Either the injury or simply his play deteriorated (back to 'normal'?). If Darlington was ready to play, he surely would have with QB playing with a broken/injured hand?

Now, about three days before the game, a coach is saying that perhaps one of the three quarterbacks (bad hamstring to our unquestioned, head and shoulders above all others starter) or (broken hand following surgery a few days ago with about 10 quarters of game time in 4 years on the team number 2 guy) or (untried QB with concussion history suggesting high risk he should NOT play as our third stringer. POB is obviously not to be considered as a QB on the team since playing him would be enormously costly according to many. Assuming Tommy's hamstring is injured and should be allowed to heal so he may be, hopefully, ready for the possible conference championship game and a certain bowl game, and Fyfe may not be able to execute a big part of the offense (catching shot gun snaps for example), and Darlington is at risk to long term brain injury from a third or fourth concussion injury, who do we play if POB is off limits? DPE? LOL - he's been having some issues fielding punts and we have no evidence that he is ready and able to play makeshift QB? Why don't we have another couple walk-ons on the team? Answer, in part, perhaps, is that our coaches have a history (T Martinez, Tommy A.) of playing basically ONE QB and all others sit, not even getting much mop up duty. No wonder these back up QBs quit and transfer or never come in the first place. I say, let them play a few series during the season and keep atleast three back up QBs reasonably ready to play with snaps each week running our offense. We have plenty of coaches and plenty of players for put together 4 complete offense and defense units to run plays, etc. without any difficulty. We have graduate assistants and 9 coaches who are paid big bucks. Let's have more than 50 guys ready to play. Just my opinion.

Yup, this makes me feel a whole lot better! LOL Exactly my point and 'pooh pooh' to all of you who seem to think we don't need back up QBs prepared to play at a winning level.

We have about 140 guys on the team and apparently we have only 2 who are really capable (including Fyfe) of managing the offense as a QB. Last week we had our walk on back up QB playing in the second half with a broken hand! It surely negatively effected his game as the QB play declined dramatically. Either the injury or simply his play deteriorated (back to 'normal'?). If Darlington was ready to play, he surely would have with QB playing with a broken/injured hand?

Now, about three days before the game, a coach is saying that perhaps one of the three quarterbacks (bad hamstring to our unquestioned, head and shoulders above all others starter) or (broken hand following surgery a few days ago with about 10 quarters of game time in 4 years on the team number 2 guy) or (untried QB with concussion history suggesting high risk he should NOT play as our third stringer. POB is obviously not to be considered as a QB on the team since playing him would be enormously costly according to many.

Assuming Tommy's hamstring is injured and should be allowed to heal so he may be, hopefully, ready for the possible conference championship game and a certain bowl game, and Fyfe may not be able to execute a big part of the offense (catching shot gun snaps for example), and Darlington is at risk to long term brain injury from a third or fourth concussion injury, who do we play if POB is off limits? DPE? LOL - he's been having some issues fielding punts and we have no evidence that he is ready and able to play makeshift QB?

Why don't we have another couple walk-ons on the team? Answer, in part, perhaps, is that our coaches have a history (T Martinez, Tommy A.) of playing basically ONE QB and all others sit, not even getting much mop up duty. No wonder these back up QBs quit and transfer or never come in the first place. I say, let them play a few series during the season and keep atleast three back up QBs reasonably ready to play with snaps each week running our offense. We have plenty of coaches and plenty of players for put together 4 complete offense and defense units to run plays, etc. without any difficulty. We have graduate assistants and 9 coaches who are paid big bucks. Let's have more than 50 guys ready to play. Just my opinion.

How many conference championships did Missouri win?

None. Not saying any team should or should not., just answering Moraine's "List some teams out there who give their back ups playing time when their starting QB is healthy and they're up by less than 21 points."

I'm glad someone at least attempted. And still, that's 2 examples.

I guess we did it with Cody Green but at that point I think Martinez wasn't considered head and shoulders above him and IIRC they didn't do it so much (or ever) after the Washington fumble except when TM was injured.

None. Not saying any team should or should not., just answering Moraine's "List some teams out there who give their back ups playing time when their starting QB is healthy and they're up by less than 21 points."

I'm glad someone at least attempted. And still, that's 2 examples.

I guess we did it with Cody Green but at that point I think Martinez wasn't considered head and shoulders above him and IIRC they didn't do it so much (or ever) after the Washington fumble except when TM was injured.

At that point I think everyone realized a healthy Martinez was both a better runner and passer than Green, so Cody never brought a different wrinkle when he was inserted.

Seemed to me like those mid-game series were a well-intentioned attempt to placate Green and keep him from bolting. But later, when a seriously hobbled Martinez was still preferable to the perfectly healthy Green, the writing was on the wall for Cody.

Cody had his own chance as a freshman to unseat Zac Lee as starter, but the dude never looked ready for prime time.

You can teach guys a lot of technique, but you can't coach leadership. Players either have it or they don't.

The answer is "none" and the list is extremely short because it's a horrible idea and almost all good coaches know that.

Hoping that's just gamesmanship on Rileys part. Saying TA hasn't gone (or press hasn't seen) TA at full speed. Hate to see the first time he tests it is on a designed draw and it tweaks again.......Surely he has gone full speed on it......right....

I'm guessing he has or he wouldn't have a chance to start on Friday IMO. Riley knows exactly what he's doing and what he's saying at this point.

Hoping that's just gamesmanship on Rileys part. Saying TA hasn't gone (or press hasn't seen) TA at full speed. Hate to see the first time he tests it is on a designed draw and it tweaks again.......Surely he has gone full speed on it......right....

I don't think they want him to reinjure it in practice. They are going to give him as much time to heal as possible before he has to go full speed on it, and that will be Friday.

I'm sure he's been running on it and the intensity has slowly increased as the week's gone by.