Injury updates

mwj98

Also missing practice were Terrell Newby, Alonzo Moore, Bryan Reimers, Cole Conrad, Marcus Newby and MRI. Utter practiced early then sat out the second portion.

TNewby has a leg injury but is expected to play in the bowl game. Moore has a nerve injury and is questionable. MRI also expected to play.

Fyfe practiced but still has a soft cast. Darlingting the #2 QB.

So basically he was in no condition to play against Iowa, but with Fyfe's wrist there were no other options?

Pretty much. With recruiting misses, roster mismanagement, lack of depth, lack of development and injuries, it appears we were lucky to go 9-3. I'm hoping Riley really hammers down some development in the off season and gets some coaches to develop some depth (Cav)......

I'm hoping with POB, Lee and Gebbia we should NEVER have the lack of QB depth we've seen the past 7 years.....That's ridiculous for a FBS program that we were that piss poor in getting another QB ready IMHO.

please explain specifically roster mismanagement at the QB position over the last 4 years.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I think we have recruited the QB well after Martinez (nothing against him). The only issues about recruiting would be getting guys with too different of skill sets and missing on Burrow. Development has been an issue though, so that may be something to gripe about.

please explain specifically roster mismanagement at the QB position over the last 4 years.

Um, no serviceable back up. No real depth. And you've got to be kidding me in thinking we did a good job at it.

The comment was also meant with the team as a whole. Hence the recruitment, development, injuries........

I mean, I'm not saying it was necessarily great. But there were three more quarterbacks on the roster when the previous staff was fired that were no longer playing QB for us at the mid-point of this year. So it's not exactly the previous staff's fault. I would think any of them would have been a serviceable backup.

• Fire 2

Um, no serviceable back up. No real depth. And you've got to be kidding me in thinking we did a good job at it.

The comment was also meant with the team as a whole. Hence the recruitment, development, injuries........

I mean, I'm not saying it was necessarily great. But there were three more quarterbacks on the roster when the previous staff was fired that were no longer playing QB for us at the mid-point of this year. So it's not exactly the previous staff's fault. I would think any of them would have been a serviceable backup.

Therein lies the rub. Either they weren't mentally capable of picking up Mike Riley's offense, or, they didn't want to stick around long enough to find out-because they knew they be on the bench behind Tommy indefinitely.

I think AJ Bush's struggles at IWCC speaks for itself. He couldn't hold onto the ball and threw picks. They gave him every opportunity to play immediately, after missing most of practices prior to late transfer. He was mistake prone, and it wasn't X-0 (due to lack of offensive schemes), but simple stuff like ball security. Couldn't hold job at local community college. How in the world was he supposed to play in the Big 10.

That is NOT coach's fault. Who know's about Stanton.

* and anyone even entertaining burning a RS on a kid once we lost to Wiscy absolutely does not understand. If the PO was in the top 2, he wouldn't have RS. Once we lost, what do you actually gain by playing him ? 1-2 games of experience, so what, we can go to Florida rather than Tennessee. SELFISH. Ruin a kid's year of eligibility so we can play a meaningless bowl game, a week later????

I am not happy about not having a serviceable QB, and question certain moves about this staff, but this was done way before this staff was in place !!!

• Fire 2

Somebody explain Tommy's 'injury' status. It has now been basically three weeks of resting and the one game of partial activity. Now, with three more full weeks of no activity, it doesn't appear he will be able to play? I find this just "ummm?"

After Minnesota, I heard that Tommy would be out for the remainder of the season, including the bowl game. His hamstring injury was that severe. After Fyfe broke his hand, he couldn't play QB one handed so Tommy had to play against Iowa.

Also, if Tommy doesn't play in the bowl game, that allows the coaches to go with a full install on their passing game attack, and worry less about using and practicing the QB run game.

Somebody explain Tommy's 'injury' status. It has now been basically three weeks of resting and the one game of partial activity. Now, with three more full weeks of no activity, it doesn't appear he will be able to play? I find this just "ummm?"

After Minnesota, I heard that Tommy would be out for the remainder of the season, including the bowl game. His hamstring injury was that severe. After Fyfe broke his hand, he couldn't play QB one handed so Tommy had to play against Iowa.

Also, if Tommy doesn't play in the bowl game, that allows the coaches to go with a full install on their passing game attack, and worry less about using and practicing the QB run game.

This will be the most interesting to see IMO. I think the game plan against Maryland was very good. Stretch the D sideline to sideline with the passing game. Pull the LB's out of the box. Creep the DB's out and slide safeties up a little. As Langs will be here next year, it will be interesting to see the "style" of O we will probably run. As you noted, this will give the staff almost a solid month to get Fyfe "dialed" in. I still think, while not a "dual" threat, Fyfe is mobile enough to be involved in some runs or RPO.

• Fire 1

Really sorry to hear this. Not the way a 4 year starter senior ought to go out. I enjoyed watching Tommy and really hoped his senior season would be a follow up to the bowl game vs. UCLA. We just lacked the push up front and the power in the run game needed to help balance out. He didn't play as well I'd hoped (though I admit I did not really expect a Joe Montana like season). I wish we had him another year as I am very fearful for next year. Maybe Riley sees something in practice that is the biggest secret since the hunt for Bin Laden ended but if we have soomeone better for '17 we should have seen him this year (Lee couldn't play I realize but ????).

This will be Fyfe's final time to shine as well. I wish him and our team all the best. Maybe Fyfe will prove us all wrong. God knows we need this win badly to save our recruiting class from a major meltdown.

• Fire 1