Injury updates

mwj98

please explain specifically roster mismanagement at the QB position over the last 4 years.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I think we have recruited the QB well after Martinez (nothing against him). The only issues about recruiting would be getting guys with too different of skill sets and missing on Burrow. Development has been an issue though, so that may be something to gripe about.

We didn't "miss" on Burrow, Bo's staff ignored him on his official visit and he went to Ohio State. That is just more proof that they were crappy recruiters as they screwed the pooch on that one and all of the other guys that they recruited sucked as it has been proven in later posts after yours in this thread and that is why we are in this situation.

IMO their problem was that they thought they could "coach up" any player to B1G level caliber play and it is ok to have some of those guys on your roster, but they can't be the overwhelmingly majority as they were under Bo. He hated the recruiting game and pandering to high school kids to come here, so he didn't do it and used the excuse that it is too hard to recruit difference makers to come to Nebraska which it total bs.

As far as QB recruiting goes, certainly it appears, on paper and H.S. highlight films, that Riley has been recruiting honest to goodness quarterbacks with POB, Gebbia, Lee (I admit I have not seen him on film or stats but people say he is good). Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez were certainly fine athletes by any reasonable measure that never really became top level quarterbacks. Despite many attempts, it seems both were unable to develop good footwork and passing 'form' etc and neither really developed good passing skills in reading defenses and finding the open receivers. This is not to in anyway be overly critical as I realize that 95% of all quarterbacks are unable to do these things. If being a great QB were easy, the NFL and colleges would be full of them and they'd be a dime a dozen instead of the most highly paid players on the planet.

I have to agree about POB. Why burn his RS year for only the last two games.

We are going to probably a whole new system with our recruiting. If POB is as good as we hear, does anyone think he will be here for four years?

Our former QB's weren't going pro running the option. At least not at QB. Figured they would be here four years.

It may have been prudent for this staff to get him some playing time, this year. I think we are lucky that Lee is here. Hope POB is as good as we hear, and he is here for the four years. He has his work cut out for him. He will be pushed hard by Gebbia.

GBR!!!

Important to note that Stanton started at UNLV but was injured in September. The backup did better than him and started the rest of the year.

He was benched at UNLV

This tells you how well the previous staff recruited.

Sounds a lot like Joe Dailey when he went to Duke.

And Beck at NC State and Green at Tulsa. I think out of them all Green had the most success but I don't think he exactly lit the world on fire. Oh, and that kid that transferred to Yale, I think he did well enough he made the Senior Bowl, don't think he got drafted though.

please explain specifically roster mismanagement at the QB position over the last 4 years.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I think we have recruited the QB well after Martinez (nothing against him). The only issues about recruiting would be getting guys with too different of skill sets and missing on Burrow. Development has been an issue though, so that may be something to gripe about.

We didn't "miss" on Burrow, Bo's staff ignored him on his official visit and he went to Ohio State. That is just more proof that they were crappy recruiters as they screwed the pooch on that one and all of the other guys that they recruited sucked as it has been proven in later posts after yours in this thread and that is why we are in this situation.

IMO their problem was that they thought they could "coach up" any player to B1G level caliber play and it is ok to have some of those guys on your roster, but they can't be the overwhelmingly majority as they were under Bo. He hated the recruiting game and pandering to high school kids to come here, so he didn't do it and used the excuse that it is too hard to recruit difference makers to come to Nebraska which it total bs.

Like I said, Burrow was a miss. Still, the guys they did get were solid at the time of their commitments. Hindsight is easy to look at and say the QB prospects did not pan out, which is true. My point is it is not so simple to say QB recruitment has been poor. In actuality, I think recruitment has been good, development has been the problem.

I went back and looked at our QB recruiting since 2012 (The year TA was recruited) and it has been kind of disappointing to say the least. 247 kept crapping out on me so I used Rivals.

We very rarely recruited top 10 QBs, both Pro and Dual, from 2012 - 2015...We recruited a total of 20 with TA being the only one that was a top 10 at his position. He was ranked 9th as a Dual.

Since Riley has became coach, we have offered 21 QBs that rank in the top 10, both Pro and Dual, and have received commits from 2, POB (#7 Pro) and Gebbia (#6 Pro).

I think QB is a position that you need to offer all the top guys you can and work hard to get 1 of them.

Outside of the anomaly and Ohio State in 2015, few teams have real QB depth because kids won't stick around. Even Bama with its years and years of #1 QB classes has had to take transfers.

Bad injury luck and changing offensive philosophy's killed what QB depth we did have.

The Gumps will have 3 scholarship QBs on the roster next year. Jalen Hurts (So.), Mac Jones (Tr. Fr.) and Tua T. (Tr. Fr.).

They have had 3 QBs transfer this year alone. That is crazy.

Um, no serviceable back up. No real depth. And you've got to be kidding me in thinking we did a good job at it.

The comment was also meant with the team as a whole. Hence the recruitment, development, injuries........

As for the QB position, the phrase gets said often.

I see poor recruiting and a change in scheme which had a couple qbs transfer.

That's very different than what I believe is "roster mismanagement".

• Fire 2

I told you guys after the Minnesota game - per a friend I know who is on the team, Tommy was supposed to be done for the season originally.

I don't doubt it. With Fyfe and Armstrong being dinged, I wonder how much of a serious look Darlington has gotten. He looked pretty good in the spring the past 2 years, but I wonder if the concussion he got in HS the non-starter for him getting a chance?

I told you guys after the Minnesota game - per a friend I know who is on the team, Tommy was supposed to be done for the season originally.

I don't doubt it. With Fyfe and Armstrong being dinged, I wonder how much of a serious look Darlington has gotten. He looked pretty good in the spring the past 2 years, but I wonder if the concussion he got in HS the non-starter for him getting a chance?

I know the sentiment around here is mixed - I'm definitely team "please never ever put that kid's life on the line again, regardless if doing so helps us win".

I know the sentiment around here is mixed - I'm definitely team "please never ever put that kid's life on the line again, regardless if doing so helps us win".

Oh, I agree. I just have never heard how serious of a possibility that was.

Oh, I agree. I just have never heard how serious of a possibility that was.

I agree too. But it didn't stop them from running him for a two point conversion. I'd hate to see him get hurt even worse. I'm honestly shocked that he was ever cleared to play football again.