What did we learn-Purdue edition

I learned that, apparently, Mark Philipp (I think?) distrusts Banker's decision making ability so much that he has to physically restrain him from running out on to the field.

Edit: Apparently it's been going on all year and I just don't pay that much attention to the sideline action...

Strength amd conditioninf coaches are almost always the "Get Back Coach". It's their job to make sure we don't get a sidline warning.

I've been learning this throughout the season......A lot of people are waiting for the game where we "put it all together". I don't think that game will ever come. What we do have is a quarterback and team who expect things to go wrong once in a while and instead of getting shook up and losing their composure like a screaming guy they once knew, they go back out there and try harder the next time. Slowly and surely we seem to be seeing a team full of gamers.....guys like Crouch who think if there's 2 minutes on the clock ,we still have time to score a couple more times.

I've been learning this throughout the season......A lot of people are waiting for the game where we "put it all together". I don't think that game will ever come. What we do have is a quarterback and team who expect things to go wrong once in a while and instead of getting shook up and losing their composure like a screaming guy they once knew, they go back out there and try harder the next time. Slowly and surely we seem to be seeing a team full of gamers.....guys like Crouch who think if there's 2 minutes on the clock ,we still have time to score a couple more times.

One thing I learned. This is not a mentally fragile team. The mindset is right.

I think this is the most accurate statement in the whole thread! Couldn't agree more.

Offense:

1) We would be in trouble this year with any other QB playing.

2) O-line had a really, really, really bad game. Last game was bad too, but this one was extremely painful to watch. Gates and Knevel are not healthy.

3) It's not good when defenders can almost take handoffs in the backfield.

4) Morgan has some ups and the knack for making plays.

5) Carter needs to get healthy.

6) Reilly looks good in the slot.

7) Throw more quick passes to DPE.

8) Running back screen game still needs a lot of work.

Defense:

1) Banker is horrible at gameplanning, but is good at adjustments.

2) D-backs look much more comfortable this year with the scheme.

3) D-line is good, but not great. (Definitely an area of need. Especially DEs).

4) The defense seems to work better when they are aggressive.

5) Defense gives up yards, but not a lot of points.

Special teams:

1) DPE's talent is being wasted with a horrible scheme on punt returns. No idea what is trying to be done, but there shouldn't be four to six defenders waiting to make the tackle for just about every punt.

2) Lightbourne will be good.

3) I don't really know what to say about special teams anymore. If Riley wants to pay for a full time special teams coordinator, that's fine. I have zero problems with it. However, they better be above average. They aren't even close. Does Bruce Reed do something else for the team that I am not aware of?

Overall:

1) We own the fourth quarter, but it would be nice to play like that all the time.

2) It's nice to see how each opponent chooses to honor Foltz.

3) Ed Cunningham is hard to listen to.

• Fire 2

Worst performace by an o-line in many years.

I learned we're redshirting all the freshman o-linemen. If you were going to pull a redshirt for one of them today was the day to do it.

Honestly can't think of one guy on the line that played well today. I guess Cotton had a pretty good game.

Before the game, the coaches may have been ready to pull off some red shirts of some linemen. It didn't happen. The o-line is not good right now.
And they should have. You have 2 starters out, 1 obviously hurt and not able to play anywhere near 100%, another just getting back from injury, and Utter who bless his heart just isn't that good. What if Farmer, Knevel, and Gates aren't 100% next week? I've heard a lot about Wilson possibly playing since the start of the year and a little about Farniok. Either we get healthy really fast or start burning redshirts because it's going to get ugly the next couple weeks.

I didnt get to watch the game live. I was working all day. When I finally got to it Sunday night, i was really REALLY surprised by the abundance of under the center, conventional handoff game. Esp with the injury issues up front. I've always been a fan of langsdorf, so I trying to think that there might be some calculating plan here. But this is where our big struggle is. Our line is simply not dominant enough. Which is neatralized by spread-shotgun run game.

I didnt get to watch the game live. I was working all day. When I finally got to it Sunday night, i was really REALLY surprised by the abundance of under the center, conventional handoff game. Esp with the injury issues up front. I've always been a fan of langsdorf, so I trying to think that there might be some calculating plan here. But this is where our big struggle is. Our line is simply not dominant enough. Which is neatralized by spread-shotgun run game.

Or a PA screen/swing pass. We saw a few, but with the penetration up the middle you think we would have pushed things out to the edge way more than we did. Even in the run game. This team desperately needs the 2011 toss sweep game. Or maybe a counter play. Anything to get us outside the guards and away from the center (where our issues lie).

The counter may have blown up in our faces with the way #9 was getting after it. But you hit him with a trap play and he may slow down a bit.

Or a PA screen/swing pass. We saw a few, but with the penetration up the middle you think we would have pushed things out to the edge way more than we did. Even in the run game. This team desperately needs the 2011 toss sweep game. Or maybe a counter play. Anything to get us outside the guards and away from the center (where our issues lie).

That's why I bring up the calculating part. Is there a bigger plan here at this point. We got the quick start. Then went really REALLY bland. Were we in "just win the game" mode from kickoff? With the big stretch looming, do these coaches have the pulse of the team enough to just be like (lets' protect these guys, get through this, cuz we know we can just win the game with the simple stuff" and get to this week?

I know we've looked iffy against some teams who are not as good as us. But Purdue was another level. Esp on the offensive side of the ball. Very bland. Very conservative. Did just enough. Now it's showtime.

The counter may have blown up in our faces with the way #9 was getting after it. But you hit him with a trap play and he may slow down a bit.

One thing I don't like with Langsdorf/Riley's offense is the lack of imaginative run designs to get outside the tackles. Outside zone/stretch plays take so long to develop, and the jet sweeps seem to be boom or bust. I'm not a coach or play designer, but there should be basic plays to get the RB outside the tackles in the run game.

• Fire 1

One thing I don't like with Langsdorf/Riley's offense is the lack of imaginative run designs to get outside the tackles. Outside zone/stretch plays take so long to develop, and the jet sweeps seem to be boom or bust. I'm not a coach or play designer, but there should be basic plays to get the RB outside the tackles in the run game.

:yeah