The impact of a win on Saturday.

Win and it legitimizes Mike Riley as the HC and puts Nebraska squarely in the playoff race. A loss isn't the end of the world, but my fear is all the closet Bolievers come back and say "I TOLD YOU SO BLAH BLAH BLAH" and this place becomes a bigger dumpsterfire then it usually is.

And then I'll just laugh at them. If Bo was still the HC I wouldn't be surprised at all by a blowout loss. If Riley loses this game, itll be close and competitive. Not a 40 point blowout that bo made famous.
While I agree...this is one thing that I feel absolutely needs to leave the minds of the Husker fans.

"Close loss" is for the "little engine that could" programs...Not for Nebraska.

Back to the impact of this game. A win here really pretty much gives Nebraska the West Division Title.

Please explain who is saying they are going to be happy with a close loss or a close loss is great or wonderful.

I mean ... it's been referenced dozens if not hundereds of times over the last few years that people would be fine/happier/not as upset/whatever with losses as long as they weren't blowouts.

I would be much happier losing a close competetive game to top tier competition rather than letting them set NCAA records against us and or hang 70 points on us.

That said, I would much rather beat top tier competition all the time.

How about "less pissed" instead of happier

I agree that the most important thing in this game is getting the win. An ugly win is still lightyears better than a pretty, moral type victory loss. But, there is a big difference to the program between losing close/respectable and suffering another blowout. We have to begin changing the national perception that we "don't belong" in the discussion. Sure, you can argue that we're in the discussion and relevant since we are #6/7 but the sobering fact is, we will tumble faster and further, to never be considered land, if we lose embarrassingly big yet again. Gotta get that monkey off this program's back. A close loss may not be we want to see but it would be better than an even uglier curb stomping.

• Fire 1

Win and it legitimizes Mike Riley as the HC and puts Nebraska squarely in the playoff race. A loss isn't the end of the world, but my fear is all the closet Bolievers come back and say "I TOLD YOU SO BLAH BLAH BLAH" and this place becomes a bigger dumpsterfire then it usually is.

And then I'll just laugh at them. If Bo was still the HC I wouldn't be surprised at all by a blowout loss. If Riley loses this game, itll be close and competitive. Not a 40 point blowout that bo made famous.
While I agree...this is one thing that I feel absolutely needs to leave the minds of the Husker fans.

Back to the impact of this game. A win here really pretty much gives Nebraska the West Division Title.

Please explain who is saying they are going to be happy with a close loss or a close loss is great or wonderful.

I mean ... it's been referenced dozens if not hundereds of times over the last few years that people would be fine/happier/not as upset/whatever with losses as long as they weren't blowouts.

I would be much happier losing a close competetive game to top tier competition rather than letting them set NCAA records against us and or hang 70 points on us.

Getting blown out by a team or losing to a crap team via 9 turnovers makes me pissed.

Staying competetive and losing a close game to a great team would leave me disappointed.

Neither make me happy, but the latter leaves me much prouder.

• Fire 1

I agree that the most important thing in this game is getting the win. An ugly win is still lightyears better than a pretty, moral type victory loss. But, there is a big difference to the program between losing close/respectable and suffering another blowout. We have to begin changing the national perception that we "don't belong" in the discussion. Sure, you can argue that we're in the discussion and relevant since we are #6/7 but the sobering fact is, we will tumble faster and further, to never be considered land, if we lose embarrassingly big yet again. Gotta get that monkey off this program's back. A close loss may not be we want to see but it would be better than an even uglier curb stomping.

True...but the "don't belong" thing, I think, has more to do with the teams NU has played so far. If Oregon was 6-1 right now, there would be no such talk.

Getting blown out by a team or losing to a crap team via 9 turnovers makes me pissed.

Staying competetive and losing a close game to a great team would leave me disappointed.

Neither make me happy, but the latter leaves me much prouder.

I get what you mean but for me...I was more pissed by the close loss to the Illini last year...and Purdue last year. Close, competitive games but super freaking lame if you ask me.

No question that winning Saturday would be tremendous step forward in the west division race - gives us this inside track certainly. But every game, except perhaps the Ohio State game, are 'must' wins if we want to remain in the top ten when the dust all settles in mid January. One loss and we will be in the top 7 in the final polls after a win in top tier bowl. But two losses will probably leave us around 10th, assuming that second loss is to Michigan in the CCG. Of course, winning them all almost guarantees NU in the national champ playoffs but it could lead to playing either Ohio State twice or Michigan twice (assuming a one loss Michigan gets into the final 4 list and rematched with us. I would not be surprised to see that happen if we win out and Michigan loses a nail biter to us in the Big Ten title game.

But, for the program, we need to play in the CCG and do well and then win a good bowl. 10 wins and a good bowl win will enable us to hold a strong recruiting class together and would have to be viewed as a big step up for Nebraska in the national relevance status. A loss this week and next CANNOT be allowed to be viewed as 'season ending' or somehow proof that we are not getting meaningfully better in the national relevance category.

If Nebraska wins on saturday on the road vs a top 10 Wisconsin team, then I think it sets up for them to afford 1 loss and still get into the College Football Playoffs. They should be given the same lax leash as Ohio State. I mean the Buckeyes lost to Penn State and dropped only a couple spots, and the media is telling everyone that it is OK the Buckeyes still are fine for a spot in the playoffs.

Well same should be said for Nebraska if they can beat Wisconsin. A win on the road vs top 10 Wisconsin should keep Nebraska OK if they are to go into Ohio State and lose a game. As long as Nebraska can run the table from that point forward the Huskers deserve a spot in the playoffs.

So this game is monumental.

That would only be true if Bo had Wisconsin's number...he didn't come close to that.

So the only to possible categories for Husker fans are "All in on Riley" and "Want Bo to come back"?

• Fire 1

So the only to possible categories for Husker fans are "All in on Riley" and "Want Bo to come back"?

Total Animal Farm!

Mr. Jones will come back...you don't want that...do you???????

It's actually possible (this is crazy) to just be happy regardless of winning or losing, and then still hope to win all the time.

So why are you trying to ground people anytime someone posts something optimistic?

Remember when you said you'd be miserable if we lost to Indiana?

I don't want you to be miserable. It's bad for you and it's annoying for me :)

Sure, well first...I did not say that people would be happy with a close loss or that a close loss is great or wonderful. I said that we need to stop thinking that a close loss is something NU should strive for but since you asked here are some posts that I would toss into the old "I would be okay with a close loss" category.

I would be happy with a close, competitive game. Final score somewhere close to the spread.

I want Nebraska to kick their asses and win. But I'll be satisfied if we prepare well this week and play hard Saturday. I'd really like to see our O-line have a great game giving TA time and TN/DO lanes.

Preferably win but either way just make the game a competitive one. Just like Wisconsin's games with Michigan and Ohio St. were. If we do that it will do a lot for the confidence of the fan base and the national media that we are close to being "back". If that perception happens then we will win a lot of recruiting battles with this staff which in turn could mean a lot more successful seasons ahead.

As painful as it would be, just keep this thing close.

Just let it be a 4 quarter game. F you Bo Pelini and what you have done to my confidence levels

So, clearly there are people (Husker fans) that if NU gets beat on a last second field goal will "okay" with it and so on.

Now, I see what you are getting at, I really do. I get it, trust me, I do.

You yourself said something like "If we lose, I won't be happy. But, at least if I get my wish here, it will be respectable."

Your wish, you said, was to keep it respectable.

That is the "Little Engine That Could" stuff. This is NU...They have out-recruited Wisconsin for the last 10 years...Our head coach was the freaking mentor to their coach, we have a 4 year starter at QB, they have a freaking freshman statue at QB. They just lost their all-world LB and their All-world NT.

This is Nebraska...Not WMU, trying to make a name for themselves.

f#*k being okay with a close loss. Win the freaking game. They can do it. Period.

To the red part: No you don't.

And, to the blue part implying that you understand my quote: You clearly have proven that you have no clue what I or anyone else was saying.

Here is my quote from the other thread that you think you understood.....but took out of context.

I obviously want to see a win. But, if we lose, I want to see us competitive and have a chance to win it in the 4th. Also, if we lose, I want it to be because they make good plays instead of us doing something totally inept.

If we lose, I won't be happy. But, at least if I get my wish here, it will be respectable.

I stated that I wanted us to win. I also stated that I won't be happy if we lose. How in the hell is that "being OK with a close loss" ....or, "a little engine that could". I won't be happy. I stated that in the original post and I stated it here too.

Do I need to say it again??? I want us to win and I won't be happy with a loss.